Why become a member? ×

EUB bowed- NS design NXT5- Schubert

Silvint

Wow, just wow. I have the exact same bass and would love to add bowing to my repertoire but as yet - it is still beyond me. One question - when I got mine the action was really low and close to the neck, which I would enjoy with a guitar, but seemed too low when I tried with a bow as I was hitting all strings at once. Did you find this, or is it just my shoddy technique? It's hard to see in the video what the action is like on yours.

Thanks guys.
In my case, I have left the action fairly low as I mainly play pizz, and it makes it much easier. I don't mind so much the increased sustain. The usual short thump you get with an acoustic is not necessarily what I look for anyway.
Regarding the bowing, I think what makes it a bit tricky is the reduced space between the strings, as it is a 5 strings. Changing the action won't change the curve of the bridge and the space between the strings, so I don't think it would make a big difference in fact.
Practice is required. I'd say pick up some classical piece and give it a real go. Not only you will ad bowing to your skills, but it will help greatly with intonation and reading. Pick a piece that you really like though, because the practice is painful, so that will make it more enjoyable!
These days I'm adding a little overdrive when I play bow in the band (sort of jazzesque Piano trio). It gives a very epic and unique sound.

[quote name='Silvint' timestamp='1449851179' post='2927550']
Changing the action won't change the curve of the bridge and the space between the strings, so I don't think it would make a big difference in fact.
[/quote]

^^ This is what I found when I messed with mine. Thanks for the tips - I shall look into this!