Why become a member? ×

Boosey 400 & Thomman 22

sky_saw01

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Hi, I posted a while ago under a different username (forgot my password and email password) about the Thomann 22 double bass. I didn’t buy this bass but I did get hold of a Czech 1980s Boosey and Hawkes 400. I got an adjustable bridge fitted with a full circle pickup and silver slaps. Does anyone have any info on this bass, is it all laminate and is it an Ebony fingerboard (it’s a bevelled fingerboard). There is a small amount of peeling of the coating on the fingerboard (I’m guessing its rosewood that’s been ebonized). [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I’m still thinking about the Thomann 22 (carved top) bass as I’ve heard so many good things about it but unsure how much [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]of an upgrade it will be, but having read comments about how it compares to basses 3 times the cost it get you thinking[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Any info on the boosey much appreciated[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Thanks, Sean.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=3]Does anyone have any info on this bass, is it all laminate[/size][/font][/color][/quote]
If you post a good close-up photo of the top of the bass including some of the edge, I'll have a good guess at whether the top is laminate or solid wood - I don't know all that much about basses but I know a bit about plywood!

Thanks for the last replies. Yeah on the Ken Smith site I see it says its all ply though still unsure if its a rosewood fingerboard, even though there's only small areas of the peeling black lacquer (ebonized I assume) I'm wondering whether to get it stripped off down to the wood, anyone had experience of this such as possible effects on changes to tone and feel of the board, ta.

I had the black finish stripped off my fingerboard when I had the board re-shot. Didn't make an iota of difference to anything other than making my bass look better. The finish on my board was pretty thin though, so maybe stripping off a heavy laquer will be more noticeable.

Hi. Yes the Boosey 400 was made in the Strunal factory for re-branding as Boosey's student model. They're all laminate and the fingerboard is not ebony, possibly rosewood but not sure - I seem to recall the black on mine fading but not flaking, if it's flaking id probably look at getting rid. As I say, I used to own one and when I was looking into buying it pulled together a lot of info on them from posts on Talkbass and the now-defunct Doublebasschat - might still be somewhere on the net if you want to find it. So a carved top and ebony fingerboard would be an upgrade (if the type of music you're playing would benefit from that), though personally I didn't like the change to ebony for slap playing. Seemed "snappier". Hope that helps.

Hi, I had a B&H double bass a while ago. It wasn't a 400, but another model
The finish was peeling a little on that fingerboard - but I was told it was ebony, and not another wood that had been ebonised

The peeling didn't affect playing in any way, and a luthier had a look at it, and said it was fine
It just happens through ageing and use, and a re-finish was possible, but most likely wouldn't make any real difference
he also said that B&H at that time made beautiful instruments, and they have stood the test of time

It was a beautiful bass, which I only sold because I had upgraded. Sounded great, looked lovely
I'd say if it's not broken - don't fix it!

And as others have said, you're always looking at what else is out there (not restricted to DB by the way!)
So just enjoy your B&H - it's becoming quite vintage now :)

• 2 weeks later...