Why become a member? ×

Cheap eBay necks

Andytre

Anyone had any experience with these? seem a very good price and could be useful for some of my Thomann Deko projects if there good quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Maple-21-Fret-Neck-For-4-String-Jazz-Bass-Clear-Satin-Replacement-/361316499913?hash=item54202441c9:g:4ccAAOSwpDdVdJXB

any advice info would be appreciated

Sounds like a reasonable deal - The big difference in practice will probably come down to quality control, support, and hardware. If you are prepared to fit the neck (tweaking neck pocket and/or heel), fix or replace it at your own expense if it breaks, clean up any unacceptable fretwork etc, fit your own tuners (including probably shimming or reaming the post holes) - It's not a bad idea at all. For a beater / backup bass it could be perfect. For something I'd need to be rock solid - I'd much prefer to save up for a higher end neck, preferably multi-laminate (e.g. Kubicki) or carbon graphite (e.g. status).

Ordered one yesterday, hopefully if the necks straight and not ramped and just needs fret work and set up it'll be a bargain! definitely wont be putting it on my main 2 basses but 'hopefully' will be great for little build projects and mucking about!

ill report back when it arrives sometime in the next MONTH! i suppose that's what you get ordering form china, for a low price and with free postage!

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1449825369' post='2927126']
Ordered one yesterday, hopefully if the necks straight and not ramped and just needs fret work and set up it'll be a bargain! definitely wont be putting it on my main 2 basses but 'hopefully' will be great for little build projects and mucking about!

ill report back when it arrives sometime in the next MONTH! i suppose that's what you get ordering form china, for a low price and with free postage!
[/quote]
Shenzhen is a nice place, if you're thinking of collecting.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1454155108' post='2966986']
Still waiting on it to arrive delivery estimate was from Jan 19th to Feb 19th! On another point I bought a Ming on board preamp from China and that arrived in a week! When it's finally here I'll put up some pics and my thoughts
[/quote]

Damn that sucks Ive just purchased on so I imagine il be waiting a while too.

The preamp is good news though I look forward to an update

Cheers

Not had my hands on one yet, but I have been tempted by the various cheap necks on eBay - both guitar and bass. As many have suggested, I'm sure the machining will be okay, it's probably just the fret and nut finishing that will leave something to be desired. If you don't mind paying some attention to these areas yourself, these necks could be worth a look. That said, I bet they are hit and miss when it comes to the quality and straightness of the wood. Many will remain okay after manufacture and some will warp all over the place. If you could arrange to view before purchase that would be the best way, but looking at other similar auctions on eBay, even the ones that claim to be UK shippers are Chinese companies, so while the necks may actually be sat in a warehouse in the UK, you won't be able to go look at them and pick the best.

Buyer beware and all that, but for £30, it's hardly the end of the world!

I recently bought this from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-20-FRET-ELECTRIC-BASS-NECK-J-MODEL-SKUNK-STRIPE-34-MAPLE-WITH-MAPLE-FB-/151922497747?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7iaxSS9jLoWeSuOORRl6qaZoLzE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Arived quickly and well impressed with it.

Nut slots needed filing to depth but that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

well after all this waiting for it to arrive the order was cancelled and i was refunded! typical! going to have to look for a different seller and try them out. i had my bitsa P all dismantled ready for it to arrive so a bit bummed out! i am expecting to do a bit of work when/if i ever get one delivered in the future but that's part of the fun isn't it!

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1455537465' post='2979906']
well after all this waiting for it to arrive the order was cancelled and i was refunded! typical! going to have to look for a different seller and try them out. i had my bitsa P all dismantled ready for it to arrive so a bit bummed out! i am expecting to do a bit of work when/if i ever get one delivered in the future but that's part of the fun isn't it!
[/quote]

Mine came on Saturday, and it is fantastic I haven't needed to level the frets and the truss rod works fine as long as your ok with the dark tint on the neck id say go for it. It took 3 weeks

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121742782396?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=420738950681&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

[URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/mikeoranage/media/12695039_10153978500409540_5291945552611819250_o_zpsnpjca1as.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y382/mikeoranage/12695039_10153978500409540_5291945552611819250_o_zpsnpjca1as.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by mrn1989

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1455565705' post='2980314']
Ordered! Cheers for the recommendation! How long did delivery take?
[/quote]

Great no probs. I ordered on 26th Jan and it arrived 13th Feb I'm just gonna order another now too

• 2 weeks later...