Why become a member? ×

Who's making the best Precsions now?

nash

I've been out of the loop for a while but now I'm back playing bass in a band that is going to tour etc. I have an amazing Japanese Fender P but it'll be 30 next year and to me it's irreplaceable.

So I'm looking for something that is a great bass but is easily replaced if it gets stolen, broken etc.

Are USA Fender still on top of their game?
Lakland Skyline?

You`ll get many different answers to this one, Maruszczyk, Limelight, Lakland Skyline all good, but if it were me I`d just hunt out a 2nd hand 2008 onwards US Precision (even better if 2012 onwards due to the custom shop pickup). Of course if funds don`t stretch that far then another MIJ Fender would be good, and I really rate the 2012 onwards Mexican Fenders - I`ve had a few, all have been very good quality. And of course, there are the Road Worn Fenders - again Mex, but these are wonderful basses.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1449699747' post='2926182']
So I'm looking for something that is a great bass but is easily replaced if it gets stolen, broken etc.[/quote]

What kind of places are you planning on playing?

Buy a Mike Lull P bass and take care of it.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1449700763' post='2926193']
I now realise that I should never have let that Precision go. :(
[/quote]

It is the best one I've ever played. There's something about the neck and it sounds amazing.

Chris

I'm a guitar tech and I've seen PRS guitars come back off a tour in Oz with split headstocks and the bassists Warwick had a huge gauge down the back. That's mainly because they were in old Scott Dixon cases and handlers just chuck things around.

Also whilst on a load out I've had to run after someone who decided to pickup a £3k Framus and run.

Interesting question, I've been looking for a really nice precision for a while and got a G&L SB-2 in a trade and am not longer looking so I wouldn't overlook them. Don't let the two pickups fool you as it nails the precision sound and feel IMHO

If anything ever happened to it I would search out another.

If you're on tour & just need something reliable that you won't be upset about losing I'd probably just go for a Fender-USA (though the mex ones are fine) - every guitar shop in the country will have one in stock too so they're easily replaceable if it goes walkies.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1449741354' post='2926349']
The best P bass is the one that you play which feels right and sounds right to you. Anything else really doesn't matter.
[/quote]

Quite! This question has so many answers that it will become ridiculous. Some cheap basses feel and sound amazing as do boutique level basses. There's also lots of rubbish throughout. I haven't tried every make but think Sandbergs are hard to beat, then again, I always take my Fenders when we gig .

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1449735273' post='2926303']
In true BC/forum style I'm going to suggest something that looks great but I've never actually played - the Shuker JJ Burnell sig.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more - Jon does a number of brilliant takes on the P - my PJ has some of the JJB features but other custom elements that make it immensely playable and versatile. Shuker has got to be worth consideration (though for touring, I'd be happy with a US or Japanese Fender - I'd also get a Peli case and try to do most of the handling of the bass myself)

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1449729400' post='2926283']
I'm a guitar tech and I've seen PRS guitars come back off a tour in Oz with split headstocks and the bassists Warwick had a huge gauge down the back. That's mainly because they were in old Scott Dixon cases and handlers just chuck things around.

Also whilst on a load out I've had to run after someone who decided to pickup a £3k Framus and run.
[/quote]

In that case I'd get a couple of good used Fender US Std P basses, some sturdy flight cases and and out board pre amp, like the Sadowsky or Sansamp, to get the sound you want.

It's looking like that's my plan. Are the newer rectangle cases they come with good?

I'll probably put an EMG in any Pbass I get. I like how consistent they sound.

I'm not one to be totally precious with my basses but with my old one I am getting that way. It has plenty of scars but I just want to minimise the chance of losing it.

Thanks for all the comments.