Why become a member? ×

Who's making the best Precsions now?

nash

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1451249042' post='2939114']
The copies all come and go and are fashionable for a while but Fender remains as the standard pro instrument.
[/quote]

+1 - It was and is the standard, but given the diversity within the fender precision range over the years it's hardly a single thing - more like rough outline. With the exception of a very few instruments that have a distinctly different voicing - e.g. the fender precision elite from the 80's - the "Precision" name and concept for bassists has more to do with the sound IMO than the actual brand or even the pickups, setup etc used to achieve it. Hence why a fan fret 6 string with active electronics can sound very much "like a P bass" in the right hands.

Lakland Skylines were once flavour of the month, not so much now.
Good quality basses, the Bob Glaub based on his 64 with wide nut, but relatively shallow front to back.
Called something like the 44-64 or something these days

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/001_zpsscvw0rva.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1449751997' post='2926479']
I'll probably put an EMG in any Pbass I get. I like how consistent they sound.
[/quote]

If you're still set on swapping out the p/up, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised by a Squier CV. I was thoroughly impressed by the feel of the '60s-style one I tried, but I thought the 2012 CS pickup in the US Fenders sounded a lot better; I just thought it would seem a shame to swap out a good pickup like that!

Of course, if the EMG is a possibility rather than a certainty, I'd agree with those saying it's worth shopping around. The Laklands I've tried have been very nice, and I've only heard positive things about Lulls and Maruszczyks. But then I've also been quite taken with the recent US Fenders I've tried, and you may be as well. (Certainly my next purchase will probably be a Fender, albeit a slightly more esoteric one!)

Fenders are absolutely the standard to be judged by. However IMO saying Fenders make the best precisions [i]THESE DAYS [/i]is a lot like saying Heinz make the best Tomato Soup.

Sure, your average joe thinks of it as the standard and lower grade ones are really noticeable, but really..... They're far from the top of the tree. A factory fresh pre-CBS precision, maybe. But a NEW one. No. Unless you're talking Custom Shop then Ok, maybe.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1451284423' post='2939257']
Mike Lull
Lakin
G&L LB100

All superb.
[/quote]

I'd like to try a Lakin... played a couple of Lull basses and they are great.

My G&L LB100 is in the classifieds (not too subtle hint), but is a fantastic bass too...

It sounds to me like you might be playing some venues where you would rather not risk theft of, or damage to your precious P bass.
I've owned several Precisions, my current favourite is my Roadworn P (which I've PJ'ed). It's the best P bass ever, but that's just my opinion
What I can't get over, is just how much one basic design can produce such variations, in terms of weight, comfort and playability....

However, there are some venues I play in the South Wales valleys, where I'd rather not take a bass which is worth £1k new
So I have a Squier Classic Vibe in Fiesta Red (which I also PJ'ed). It's an absolutely fantastic bass for the money. It's a tad heavier than my RW P, but it's great quality and very playable and comfortable. The Squier CV's are made in the same factory as the Matt Freeman P's, and though I've not played one of those - I've heard great reports about those too. If I didn't have my Squier as "reserve bass" I'd be looking at a Matt Freeman....

I know it probably sounds a bit paranoid, to have a substitute or reserve bass for "certain venues" and I should probably just sell the CV and take my Fender RW to every gig - but in truth, I like to take the Squier out now and then anyway, for a change.... And I must say, I love it
For the money, it's the best quality bass. I had one, loved it, realised I probably had too many - so I sold it, and instantly regretted it!
.... So I went out & bought another :) Had it PJ'ed and decided I'm not going to ever sell this one... If you can find one for around £250 second-hand, I promise you'll never regret buying it. Hell, when new at around £400 they were a bargain!

Edited by Marc S

From what i've tried in the Fender line i would say that the Fender Classic 50's P is one of the best P's in their range, very cheap too as it's MIM, also very light and comfortable.

Thinking outside Fender i would say that practicly any main stream or boutique manufacturer has surpassed them in both QC and attention to detail. My personal choice would be Yamaha BB (i have a '85 BB1000S and the P soloed is tone heaven) but if you want more versatility with an active preamp then Sadowsky/Allevo/Lakland/Lull/Dingwall/Nord/Sandberg/etc... will have the best tone for buck! You need to go to a store and try as many as you can.

Fender.

There are obviously loads of companies that make P Bass copies, some for reasonable costs and some beyond insane. There is no right answer to which of those is best!

For the general image though, definitely can't beat a Fender logo on the headstock :)

Edited by Kev