Why become a member? ×

April 2015 Composition challenge - not!

gicut58

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I don’t do much on here, but every now and then I come for a look round and a comment or two, and early this year I was struck by the application and energy that some peeps on the site have when it comes to composition. I hung around the Performance/Recording section sort of Jan – April this year, checking in for updates fairly regularly and having a vote here and there, and eventually thought when April’s picture came up, ‘I can do that!’ so set out to have a go……..[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Well I can’t.

Basically, I just can’t commit to the time and effort over such a short period. But I started,did wot I could……..and persevered…….
….and 6 months later, having given it a few hours a week, ‘tis done as best I can.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]So, based on this:[/color][/size][/font]
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/marshal-ney-supporting-the-rear-guard-during-the-retreat-206465"][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#0563c1"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/marshal-ney-supporting-the-rear-guard-during-the-retreat-206465[/color][/size][/font][/url]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Chosen by Lord Sausage, who won March’s competition,[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I came up with this:[/color][/size][/font]
[url="https://soundcloud.com/the-ghost-repeaters/my-life-my-land"][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#0563c1"]https://soundcloud.com/the-ghost-repeaters/my-life-my-land[/color][/size][/font][/url]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]and I might even have another go.

Comments always welcome, but be gentle, for I is a sensitive soul…….. :blink:[/color][/size][/font]

[size=5][b]Play Of The Day, April, 2015[/b][/size]...

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]Good day, all...[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some of you may be inspired to give the pieces a listen, and perhaps vote for your 3 favourites. All of them can be heard here...[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260678-april-composition-challenge-voting"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial]April Composition Challenge Voting[/font][/color][/url][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]... and this 'Play of the Day' here …[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][url="https://soundcloud.com/the-ghost-repeaters/my-life-my-land"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial]'My Life My Land', from gicut58[/font][/color][/url][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]In with a bang; a reversed cymbal leads in a military tattoo between marching snare, piano and 'pad' synth. In comes the strong, defined vocal, directly relating the scenes and emotions of the picture, followed by a 'hook' chorus, filled with the complete band, now switched to 'rock' drumming, plummy bass line and full backing vocals, suitably delayed. The structure is now established; we continue with alternating verse, chorus until the bridge, or 'middle eight', exactly on time to bring a refreshing touch. Another chorus; the next verse is almost accapella, as the band steps back to give the vocals maximum impact. Chorus, and a rather virtuoso violinist guitar solo floats across the sound stage before building up to the repeated chorus , maintaining the pace and pressure up to the final pulsed exit.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]Polished work, showing all the hallmarks of time spent refining, doubling, honing, to achieve this very 'produced' piece. The execution is faultless, on all fronts, with special mention for the singing voice(s...), all fully confident and assertive; no shyness in that department. Composition is more than commendable, with a certain leaning towards the 'hit' formulation, but expertly arranged and orchestrated, bringing its own originality. I must say, from a completely personal point of view, I'm not in complete accord with the [i]propos[/i] of the lyrics, but I'm more than ready to declare that they are finely constructed and entirely coherent, as well as being superbly interpreted. What's not to like..? Well, to be cruelly fair in the context of the April Challenge, I think the timing overrun in the presentation on the piece is not to be overlooked (eight months late..?), nor the overrun in the length (should be 5 minutes or less, but what to cut out, eh..?). In that light, the song cannot be accepted for the April vote, but lends much promise for the New Year.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]In short, well done, all involved; an excellent contender if the frenetic pace of output can be matched to the 3-week deadline imposed on everyone else. Thumbs up, here; hat duly doffed. I'll give it a (high...) five.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]My next post will probably be for the return to normal service of the December Challenge, I hope.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]Until then...[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]Have a nice day[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]Douglas[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks chaps,
I realised fairly soon after starting it that it was (a) going to be late and (B) over the time limit. I got a couple of mates in for the piano (turned out pretty ugly but was able to fix) and the guitar solo, but I did everything else. Drums by EZD.

I'll have another got in 2016!
Meerry Christmas all :D