Why become a member? ×

Genzler Amplification Magellan 800 - now released!

Ghost_Bass

Just saw this post on Genzler's FB page:

[quote][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Here's a behind-the-scenes shot in Dumbo Brooklyn, NY @ Joe Tomcho Photography & Film - taking photos of the next product we'll be releasing - the[/size][/font][/color][url="https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/magellan800"]#Magellan800[/url][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] amplifier. Sign up for the[/size][/font][/color][url="https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/genzleramplification"]#GenzlerAmplification[/url][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] newsletter to receive a sneak peek of the amp before it's released to the general public! [/size][/font][/color][url="http://bit.ly/1PE8bvZ"]http://bit.ly/1PE8bvZ[/url][/quote]

Seems, from the name, that it will be fitted with that new(ish) 800W ICE power module. I'm curious to see if it will be a lightweight amp like the Shuttles or something with a bit more heft.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question time - where did the Benz in Genz Benz come from? Was it just a blatant ripoff of the Mercedes Benz name?

The amp looks great and he seems to have thought of everything except a handle, although he's not alone there. It's stylish and well spec'd, but (IMO) TC Electronics set a standard for bass amp design (i.e. appearance) that still hasn't been beaten – I don't think anyone else can afford that kind of tooling cost. :) He deserves to do well with it. His cabs, on the other hand, are a bit flavour of the month.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1452204908' post='2947700']
Stupid question time - where did the Benz in Genz Benz come from? Was it just a blatant ripoff of the Mercedes Benz name?
[/quote]

They started out making PA subs, "Genzler's Bins", which shortened to "Genz's Bins" and then to "Genz Benz" as a spin on the Merc thing.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1452210507' post='2947777']
Still no seperate hi and low mid controls, amps without that always put me off.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. It looks like the same single adjustable mid frequency control that the Aguilar TH500 uses, which is a bit limiting in that you can't cut and boost different midrange frequencies, but otherwise works well. Personally (and this applies to the Aguilar too), I would have ditched the Drive/distortion malarkie and provided more midrange control. It wouldn't put me off buying one though if I were in the market.

Two channels and 2.67 ohms? That ticks a lot of boxes for me - I've got a new project underway in parallel with the function band stuff, and this'd make a lot of sense: although I rarely touch the EQ on my amp (other than during a soundcheck to adjust to a particularly problematic room/stage), it'd be nice to have to some quick stompable EQ flexibility, and I'd also like to have the option of running 3x112s for the, erm, louder project, and 2x112s for the function stuff, without sacrificing the tone I like.

Very pretty but thankfully far too complicated for me.

And to be honest, most amps I've had above 500 watts (as per manufacturers claims) have hardly been turned on.

Any big gigs, foh/monitors, normal (even the biggest) pub gigs, think I've got enough.

Feature wise some hits and misses for me. I like the eq curves but don't use overdrive and if it's going to feature two preamps, I still think it needs two individually controlled inputs. Not enough to make me give up the Shuttle 6.0's yet. They got it right first time IMHO.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1452256998' post='2948121']And to be honest, most amps I've had above 500 watts (as per manufacturers claims) have hardly been turned on.[/quote]

If you'd had a way of measuring how much power you'd actually used on your gigs, I'd put a fair amount of money on you having used almost all the power fairly often, and definitely used every last watt a good few times - bass guitar is an extremely dynamic and power hungry instrument.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1452264165' post='2948239']
If you'd had a way of measuring how much power you'd actually used on your gigs, I'd put a fair amount of money on you having used almost all the power fairly often, and definitely used every last watt a good few times - bass guitar is an extremely dynamic and power hungry instrument.
[/quote]

You know best.

As a Luddite the only point of reference I have is how far I turn the two volume knob thingy's around.
NEVER more than half way on gain or master, rarely that far.
Against two noisy Blackstar' d gits and a mic'd up Lurch on drums.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1452265050' post='2948252']As a Luddite the only point of reference I have is how far I turn the two volume knob thingy's around.
NEVER more than half way on gain or master, rarely that far.[/quote]

With typical gain staging half way on many amps and with many basses equates to full power on louder notes. Plenty of amps have the gain stages set so that they reach full power well before noon with typical input signals, because people assume that if an amp is as loud with the master volume at 10 o'clock as another amp with the master at 2 o'clock, then the first amp must be more powerful. Sadly it isn't but it sells amps in shops and means we end up with lots of amps on the market where the second half of knob rotation is worthless as you're already at full power by then.

I won't be getting this one, the Shuttle 9.2 has the same think i would use on the Magellan, all the extra features would allways be turned of anyway.

The only thing that might have interested me was if Jeff added at least a second parametric mid control, sometimes you just need to cut/boost more than one freq in a tough room. Mesa Walkabout still has my respect in this and a few times i've wished i hadn't sold mine but the Shuttle has been serving me just fine for the last 4-5 years (i had the 9.0 before the 9.2).