Why become a member? ×

Unusual Headless Throughneck Whatmake Bass
£450

rogerds

Had this for a while - difficult to hang on the wall with no headstock :)
There is a review on Harmony Central - but thats all i've ever been able to find
It has 'Jay Armstrong' and 'active' on the string retainer at the bridge - but it is no longer active

so..... body looks like mahogany but not sure what the 24 fret neck is made of (25 frets if you count the zero fret !)

pickups ? - i can see no identification on them ( the review on Harmony Central indicates 'Kent Armstrong'..? )

electrics - pickup selector switch - bridge *or* neck pickup (not both) - knobs - vol / vol / tone plus a rotary selector switch where each 'click' is connected to a different value capacitor (see the pic !) - the cavity is fully shielded with copper

headstock / nut end - has a 'zero fret' arrangement and a system whereby you can use 'ordinary' strings - they can be cut and clamped - again.... the pics are probably more descriptive than my words. the truss rod adjustment is also located here

All the hardware is brass - even the plate covering the electrics cavity and the strap buttons (and there's three of those :) - and the jack socket fixing nut ! - quality of construction and attention to detail is really good

Neck - pretty straight - truss rod works - 1 5/8" at nut 2 1/8 at 12th fret and quite a 'chunky' feel - action approx a 10p piece at 12

playing-wise... i play holding high and its a bit body-heavy for me with the top strap button but ok using the button below the tuners

sound-wise - no extremes at high or low end and i'm really not sure of the value of the rotary capacitor selection but a good clean sound which does sit well in the mix (to my ears anyway)
well done if you got this far - but as its such a one-off i thought i'd try to be descriptive - but nothing can replace actually sitting down with it
you're most welcome to come and try over a cup of coffee / tea - even if you're just interested ! - i'm in poole on the south coast

An unusual and very attractive bass (to me at least) - 'good to see something out of the ordinary. Some inspiration from Alembic (and other small-scale builders) but a unique take - the body is not unlike an Essence. Somebody must know more. Quality of parts and construction appears to be very good. If I wasn't 300 miles away, I'd be very interested in examining further. Good luck with the sale

Edited by three

• 2 weeks later...

Weird! :blink:

I am usually pretty good at tracking down small/oddball/rare makers but this has me stumped!

Looks really nice - the slotted screws make it look like an older/small volume maker - cound be
a one off?

I also have way too many but a few years back, I'd have haggled with you for this.

I'm off to do some more digging!

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...