Why become a member? ×

String Guages

Kevin Dean

I tried a customised five string set on a five string, 145 - 50. I ordered them from Newtone strings.

I generally don't mix different brands of strings, but I will trying different gauges of strings I am trying out tunings that are in non-standard turning. Drop C for example. I don't really bother anymore as the D'addario balanced tension strings 120-50 serve me well from D standard down drop B. Anything lower than that I would just use a five string in standard tuning.

Decades ago, before "balanced set" was a marketing term, I started ordering custom singles GHS Progressives in 45-60-80-105 for my Rickenbacker 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3") bass. They have served me for over twenty years. Yes, as the band I am currently in plays repertoire that requires a 5-string, I am experimenting with other strings on it, but by the end of 2016 I will probably be back to this set, with one exception: a 44 Pressurewound for the G string, as it is the same alloy, but being compressed, has less twang and fuller tone to match the Progressives 60-80-105 on the D, A and E strings.

• 2 weeks later...