Why become a member? ×

The Fender dead spot (and strings)

JohnFitzgerald

I've had a 1999 Mexican Jazz Bass for around 3 years now.
It came to me with 45s on it, and those were flats.

It also had quite the action on it and I had to do a fair bit of work to make it play the way I wanted it.

It always had a dead spot at the 7th position on the G string.
Either side, the notes just rung out, but this position just fell off the cliff in terms of sustain.

I really didn't like it. It felt clunky, unresponsive and not at all me.

This week, I decided to restring it.

I went for 40s this time and chose rounds as well.

Stuck them on, did some setup adjustments and finally, wow !!

I feel such a dummy for not doing it earlier.
The dead spot's totally gone, the action's way easier to get much lower and it just sings now.

Never underestimate string choice is my lesson I've learnt from this.

Anybody want some Thomastik flats ?

;-)

Every Fender type bass I've owned (and that's a lot - some of them were even Fenders) has had a dead spot somewhere between B and F on the G. Some of the basses have been extremely expensive boutique builds too. Only the Allevas seemed to be relatively immune - massive paddle headstock? Changing strings (brand, gauge, tension) tends to move the issue slightly in my experience. I only ever find it a very minor irritation though - for me it's not really an issue in most band situations. I know there's a lot written about dead spots - and various attempted solutions (Fatfinger?) - for me, it's just a part of the Fender design

Edited by three

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1450684051' post='2934754']
Not so much the strings that cause it[/quote]
Strings don't cause the dead spot but lighter strings can help to alleviate it as they generate less energy and therefore 'excite' the resonant frequency of the neck somewhat less. Along with the truss rod and neck joint, changing strings can definitely play a part in tuning out a dead spot.

Edited by ikay

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1453635496' post='2961186']
99% have them. My Us Vintage P has a dead spot, my Squier VM jazz has one, my two Mexican standard Jazz Basses had them too.
[/quote]

I disagree I've had a few fenders usa, mij and mim and never had a dead spot, I did however have a few on a squire p bass.

I've never had a Fender with a deadspot, and wouldn't buy any bass with one, why would you?

Not sure what the OP means by the Title of the post "The Fender dead spot", almost implying its inherent by the design. The design being a wooden neck bolted onto a wooden body, like 90% of all instruments. I have played basses with deadspots though, and always quickly put them back.

I always find flats to be just that anyway...flat. I have them on a couple of my basses mainly to save frets, but generally its Rounds everytime for me on my regular players, much more responsive. Different tones though, so I guess it depends what you want. Horses for courses and all that.

The things that cause or contribute to the dead spot are:

Bolt on neck
Big 4 in line Headstocks

A fender research programme concluded that to totally curr deadspot you had to go headless and through neck. Take a bow My Steinberger.

Certainly carbon fibre/ graphite necks seem to improve or cure dead spots although Ststys necks seem to be better at it than Moses.

Maybe adding carbon fibre rods in a wooden neck would also help. Maybe some luthiers can comment?

One thing is for sure I am ordering new lighter strings immediately.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1453654670' post='2961439']
I've never had a Fender with a deadspot, and wouldn't buy any bass with one, why would you?

Not sure what the OP means by the Title of the post "The Fender dead spot", almost implying its inherent by the design. The design being a wooden neck bolted onto a wooden body, like 90% of all instruments. I have played basses with deadspots though, and always quickly put them back.

I always find flats to be just that anyway...flat. I have them on a couple of my basses mainly to save frets, but generally its Rounds everytime for me on my regular players, much more responsive. Different tones though, so I guess it depends what you want. Horses for courses and all that.
[/quote]

Indeed. It's like when people say "fender ski jump" for the little rise that can happen on any bolt on neck.

Strings wear out IMO... not so much where they break but I know when a set of rounds are shot..
and they just feel 'bad'... a few days later the sound will go..where they sound too clunky and
I might waste my time cleaning them again but generally there are retired/binned.

But no, I don't understand this prevalence of dead spots.

All my basses are of a Fender design and I've never had them.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1450526338' post='2933591']
Old flats= dead spots
New rounds= musical bliss ;)
[/quote][quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453656225' post='2961466']
Not at all in my experience.
[/quote]

Mine neither. Or at least not yet, anyway...

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1450524672' post='2933566']
Anybody want some Thomastik flats?
[/quote]

Surprising! Just fitted Thomastiks to two of my basses and I like 'em. :)

Literally every bass guitar I have ever spent time playing has had a dead spot to some extent - where one or two notes, usually on the G string between C and Eb, have slightly lesser sustain than the surrounding notes. That has included a couple of neck-through instruments too, one 32" scale and a couple with graphite neck reinforcements, USA and Japanese made instruments and a couple I built myself.
If you're lucky, the pitch of the resonance falls in between two notes so that the effect is less strong - these are much easier to live with. If you're unlucky, it falls spot-on one of the notes. Listening carefully to the effected notes, it sounds like the fundamental dies away quickly leaving the harmonics above that ringing. I do think that they can be more noticeable with flatwounds, and neck relief also seems to have an effect.
So I find the "Well, [i]my[/i] Fenders never have dead spots" response of some posters entertaining. I don't think I have unusually sensitive ears and nor have I had exceptionally bad basses, so the issue must be that we don't all identify or define "dead spots" in the same way.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1453658717' post='2961496']
Literally every bass guitar I have ever spent time playing has had a dead spot to some extent - where one or two notes, usually on the G string between C and Eb, have slightly lesser sustain than the surrounding notes. That has included a couple of neck-through instruments too, one 32" scale and a couple with graphite neck reinforcements, USA and Japanese made instruments and a couple I built myself.
If you're lucky, the pitch of the resonance falls in between two notes so that the effect is less strong - these are much easier to live with. If you're unlucky, it falls spot-on one of the notes. Listening carefully to the effected notes, it sounds like the fundamental dies away quickly leaving the harmonics above that ringing. I do think that they can be more noticeable with flatwounds, and neck relief also seems to have an effect.
So I find the "Well, [i]my[/i] Fenders never have dead spots" response of some posters entertaining. I don't think I have unusually sensitive ears and nor have I had exceptionally bad basses, so the issue must be that we don't all identify or define "dead spots" in the same way.
[/quote]

Ok..I guess I just haven't found them or heard them.... which I'd also guess is very unlikely.
Since I set up all my basses and one of the few things I'm anal about, I think I'd notice.
So, it is a no from me.
I am also one for natural sustain so set-up and string and good basic construction is key.

But yes, I don't have bad basses or old strings either.