Why become a member? ×

Naturally bending notes to be in tune?

SwamiRob

Was having a mess around with my pretty poorly intonated fender bullet the other day and noticed that although tuning it was impossible because something was always put, I seemed to be able to play in tune by bending notes a little here and there. Until then I'd never noticed myself doing anything like that, but was just wondering if this is a bit of a habit you might pick up, to hear a note initially been out of tune for a fraction of a second and altering it, or just getting used to an instrument that isn't particularly tuneful, or maybe been used to where the pitch of notes should be and working off that. Either way without really having put any effort into thinking or practicing correcting the tuning I seem to have been doing it which I didn't really expect to be able to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bassman7755

[quote name='SwamiRob' timestamp='1450699624' post='2934918']
Was having a mess around with my pretty poorly intonated fender bullet the other day and noticed that although tuning it was impossible because something was always put, I seemed to be able to play in tune by bending notes a little here and there. Until then I'd never noticed myself doing anything like that, but was just wondering if this is a bit of a habit you might pick up, to hear a note initially been out of tune for a fraction of a second and altering it, or just getting used to an instrument that isn't particularly tuneful, or maybe been used to where the pitch of notes should be and working off that. Either way without really having put any effort into thinking or practicing correcting the tuning I seem to have been doing it which I didn't really expect to be able to do.
[/quote]

Fine as an emergency measure (e.g. using someone elses poorly set up bass at an open mike night) but no substitute for a properly intoned bass. Does beg the question of why you dont just fix the intonation ...

It is the plan to get it sorted out, done my best but it doesn't wanna play along, not sure whether it's the cheap strings or something else but just can't get it in tune. Got some circle ks ready for it and its mostly the b that's the problem so that should sort it, just got other bits that I'm gonna leave for a tech to do.

For the time being it'll do, good practise for when I might eventually be able to afford an upright.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='SwamiRob' timestamp='1452166858' post='2947139']
It is the plan to get it sorted out, done my best but it doesn't wanna play along, not sure whether it's the cheap strings or something else but just can't get it in tune.
[/quote]

How high is the nut ? Ideally it should be low enough so that the clearance of an open string over the first fret is the same as that over the 2nd fret when you finger the 1st fret. If its much higher than this then its pretty much impossible to get the whole neck in tune - even you adjust the string length to get correct intonation at the 12th fret, then everywhere else except open and the 12th fret will be out of tune.

Edited by bassman7755

Yeah the nut is the main reason that I want a tech involved, tuning to B standard and the B is a .142 so that'll need some filing that I wouldn't dare do myself. That and I wouldn't be surprised if it needed a fret dress or (please no) an entire refret, it's a pretty old thing and looks like whoever's owned it most of it's life didn't like going past the 5th fret too much.

It's mostly the B that has intonation issues unsurprisingly, especially with the cheap strings, but I for the time beign I've tried to balance it more toward it being in tune till about the 7th fret, because there's no way I need anything higher on that one or the E particularly.