35 replies to this topic

#31 TKenrick

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Jazz & chin-ups.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

New note-for-note transcription of Louis Johnson's part on Michael Jackson's 'Get On The Floor':

http://bit.ly/LJmeetsMJ

#32 TKenrick

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

New Groove of The Week post on the blog. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - 'Genuine Pt.1':

http://bit.ly/genuinept1

#33 TKenrick

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

Some new things have gone up on the site today:

- Part 2 of a Janek Gwizdala Masterclass from 2007 where he discusses how he got into playing the bass, following Laurence Cottle about, how he developed his technique and why he advocates singing while playing:

Transcription is HERE

- New transcriptions in the archive:

#34 OliverBlackman

Oliver Blackman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

Great coverage. He did a masterclass in 2009 in my first term at ACM and he was pretty similar to how he was here, although I think he might have been touring with VV Brown at that point. It's funny that during the masterclass I went to, he knew nothing about gear and was very bullish in his persona, a stark contrast to what we see in the YT vlog. Funnily enough these days, I find myself caring less about gear and more about transcribing and improvisation, so I wish his vlog covered more what he said in he masterclass as I'd appreciate it more now.

Did you record any others? I wish it was something I had done, there were masterclasses from Ruphus Philpot, Laurence Cottle, and Gary Willis, all where I only remember bits.

#35 TKenrick

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostOliverBlackman, on 13 September 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

Great coverage. He did a masterclass in 2009 in my first term at ACM and he was pretty similar to how he was here, although I think he might have been touring with VV Brown at that point. It's funny that during the masterclass I went to, he knew nothing about gear and was very bullish in his persona, a stark contrast to what we see in the YT vlog. Funnily enough these days, I find myself caring less about gear and more about transcribing and improvisation, so I wish his vlog covered more what he said in he masterclass as I'd appreciate it more now.

Did you record any others? I wish it was something I had done, there were masterclasses from Ruphus Philpot, Laurence Cottle, and Gary Willis, all where I only remember bits.

It's definitely amusing to see how he has relaxed his stance on certain topics - this may or may not be as a result of his desire to appeal to a wider audience; more people want to watch videos about gear than want to actually get down to it and do the work.

There weren't that many decent clinics when I was there (2005-2008), I think I we had Stu Hamm, Todd Johnson and the rhythm section from Jamiroquai. I would've loved it if we'd had Rufus, Laurence or Gary! I actually found that the most informative ones were from drummers...

The last part of the Janek thing should be up in a week or so.

#36 TKenrick

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

Weekly transcription updates:

A lovely Chic groove that isn't 'Good Times' or 'Le Freak': Groove of The Week 47

Corinne Bailey Rae - 'Put Your Records On'

Paramore - 'That's What You Get'

Kool & The Gang - 'Celebration'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users