Why become a member? ×

Mark's Diaries: The journey of becoming a pro player

markmcclelland

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457440508' post='2998526']

I'm far too much of a "safe and secure job" type guy to ever have the balls to go it alone like you are![/quote]

That would be most people.

Me,life is to short not to spend it doing what you want.

In many way I really didn't start living until I started playing for a living, leaving the 9-5 world.

Blue

Nice one Blue. It is a tough call though and it's difficult to know when to jump. But like you infer, if it's what you feel you have to do, it's not a tough call at all.

I, and I'm sure, many other people, would be interested to know how you left the 9-5 world and what you were doing before that. But if you'd prefer to keep that to yourself, all cool.

Epic entry and epic jam session. In my head, this one is still going on. Brief recap. Started on the Costa Blanca, went to Madrid and then London in an extremely bumpy landing. Now trying to get known and make contacts through the jam scene.
[url="https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-87/"]https://marksdiaries...5/12/19/day-87/[/url]

Edited by markmcclelland

Wow. Amazing. Thanks so much for dropping by. Sorry. You've not got to the part yet where I leave. That's a way off in the Wordpress version. Really cool you came down. A few readers popped in to say hello while I was still working there. And yes, I still do pop in from time to time. Last night for example.

It would be cool to get together sometime. I'll PM you my number.

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]

An insane start to the new year followed by an immediate plunge into jam world as Mark's Diaries enters 2015. I can say now, and with some qualification, that that was my busiest, craziest day ever in the restaurant.[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]

https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/11/19/day-88/[/font][/color]

Hey mate

Yes I have. Thanks a lot for the thought. I did apply a few years ago and was sent an online audition to do. They asked me to do the video record thing of playing along to three covers of my choice out of about 20 they gave me. I also had to record a minute of anything I wanted - impress us, they said. This was all on a two day deadline.

My three songs were absolutely fine and I recorded the best piece of playing I've ever laid down for their freestyle bit but never heard back from them. Oh well. I guess you just don't know what they're looking for. Maybe I'm on their file.

Here's the freestyle bit. A mad intro then just settling back and freeflow jamming for the rest of it. Maybe if I'd done the whole video in the same style as the first ten seconds they might have been a bit more impressed but I wanted to show them I could just lay it down. Like I said, you just don't know what they're looking for.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6yrhkl9-LM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=l6yrhkl9-LM[/url]

Of course I'm well able to do the cover band stuff and there is some work on ships for that, which is what my audition was all about. Most jobs, and the higher paid jobs, require reading. I started learning from pretty much scratch a year ago and am now on Stuart Clayton's advanced book. I'd say that makes me a lower intermediate to intermediate reader. So that's something I might go for, but again, a long way off.

Diary spoiler. I have a project now - acoustic duo with acoustic guitar, bass and two vocals - and we've talked about the possibility of offering it to ships. But I had a look into it and we have a long long way to go before we could do that. Most ships ask that you have a repertoire of around 300 songs. We're currently hovering around the 50 mark and add every week but you could see it will still take a while.

Edited by markmcclelland

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]First time at the legendary Blues Kitchen in Camden. And a jam experience I'd rather forget. Oh, I had. Until now. [/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-94/[/font][/color]

[quote name='markmcclelland' timestamp='1461931176' post='3038851']
Hey mate

Yes I have. Thanks a lot for the thought. I did apply a few years ago and was sent an online audition to do. They asked me to do the video record thing of playing along to three covers of my choice out of about 20 they gave me. I also had to record a minute of anything I wanted - impress us, they said. This was all on a two day deadline.

My three songs were absolutely fine and I recorded the best piece of playing I've ever laid down for their freestyle bit but never heard back from them. Oh well. I guess you just don't know what they're looking for. Maybe I'm on their file.

Here's the freestyle bit. A mad intro then just settling back and freeflow jamming for the rest of it. Maybe if I'd done the whole video in the same style as the first ten seconds they might have been a bit more impressed but I wanted to show them I could just lay it down. Like I said, you just don't know what they're looking for.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6yrhkl9-LM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=l6yrhkl9-LM[/url]

Of course I'm well able to do the cover band stuff and there is some work on ships for that, which is what my audition was all about. Most jobs, and the higher paid jobs, require reading. I started learning from pretty much scratch a year ago and am now on Stuart Clayton's advanced book. I'd say that makes me a lower intermediate to intermediate reader. So that's something I might go for, but again, a long way off.

Diary spoiler. I have a project now - acoustic duo with acoustic guitar, bass and two vocals - and we've talked about the possibility of offering it to ships. But I had a look into it and we have a long long way to go before we could do that. Most ships ask that you have a repertoire of around 300 songs. We're currently hovering around the 50 mark and add every week but you could see it will still take a while.
[/quote]

If you get your reading and Jazz up to a high standards I know lots of contacts for you to get into the cruise industry when needed.

Believe it or not, the party bands onboard (regular covers) get paid more than the orchestra musicians. I always felt bad about that, but we usually work a lot more. And we have to always 'put on a show', where as the orchestra can sit down, read and do their thing.

If you get yourself into a cover band, record a promo vid, does not need to be great quality, and you'll be fine. You can get away with 200 songs, we did for a few months. But you will need a wide range of songs for the theme nights.

If you ever need any info please don't hesitate to ask.

Hey

That's really cool. Thanks so much. Well, I have the duo for now and I'm really committed to that. We're around the 50 mark but adding constantly - four today and we're starting to dip our toes into jazz territory. Maybe if we start to approach 200, it might be something to start thinking about. Although I know it still sounds a lot, it does considerably shorten the time frame. And afterall, we've got ourselves to fifty. All we have to do is repeat that three more times - we only did our first show on New Years Eve. Camden Holiday Inn. Started on the bang of midnight.

The other stuff's ticking along and yes. I will definitely be sounding you out if I think my duo, or whatever it becomes, reaches something that could be considered. And yes, I might well get my reading/ jazz to thesomething approaching the right level and start to want explore those possibilities. But right now I really want to give the duo a solid chance.

I'm really surprised about the pay being the other way round. It's not what I'd heard but I'll take it from you. Hope it's going well out there.

Edited by markmcclelland

[quote name='markmcclelland' timestamp='1462041241' post='3039920']
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]First time at the legendary Blues Kitchen in Camden. And a jam experience I'd rather forget. Oh, I had. Until now. [/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][url="https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-94/"]https://marksdiaries...5/12/19/day-94/[/url][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Just read that: it's why "Jam Session" are the two words guaranteed to make me stay at home and watch the television.

Thanks a lot Phil. I hear ya loud and clear. Oh balls. I have to edit that the negative experience was not at The Blues Kitchen.

To be fair, my jam session experiences, here in London and in various places in Spain have been massively on the positive side. I'd say around 95%. But when one does go bad, or you don't get to play, especially through forgetfulness or just plain rudeness on the part of the organiser, a whole night and effort has been very annoyingly wasted. But if you can get yourself established at a particular session, know what's going on, and get put with good musicians they can be the highlight of the week, both on and off the stage.

But a little story about one of the 5 per cents. There were a few jams in a particular venue in Madrid that started at 2am. I got a little established at the Monday one or whatever day it was and one day decided to go to the other night's one, also 2am. Given the fact that these things went on till 4 or 5 and you might not get on till around then, I used to go to sleep at about 10, then get up at 1 and get the bus down. So quite a major production for just going out to a jam session, considering I had to get the bus back too. The first night I went out to the other jam, I introduced myself and waited and waited. Only two bass players played in the first hour so I introduced myself again. And again, to the house bass player as well. When the night finished, the organiser saw me and did a little pantomime of shock. 'Oh, you didn't get on. I'm so sorry. Please come again next week. I promise you'll get on.' Bullshit. Only three bassists had been called up all night and the house bass player had taken all the rest of the time. I never went to that night again.

But that is an extreme. On the whole I love jam sessions and try to go to new ones when I can, although I do have my favourite that I go to all the time and have had recommendations for actual gigs from. I have two recommendations pending right now. But I'm not thinking in anyway that any of that will make you reconsider. Just sharing a few thoughts.

Edited by markmcclelland

Be careful on the cruise ship gigs though - although it is pretty much 100% union, there are some odd little side things.
A friend plays on the ferries between mainland france and the various islands like Corsica, Sardinia, Malta, etc.

Because they are actually employed by a French cruise line, they only get paid for the days they work and are on unemployment benefit the rest of the time.
Not very glamorous, especially since the actual pay is pretty dire, too.
Not all aquatic gigs are that great! :D

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1462096654' post='3040170']
Be careful on the cruise ship gigs though - although it is pretty much 100% union, there are some odd little side things.
A friend plays on the ferries between mainland france and the various islands like Corsica, Sardinia, Malta, etc.

Because they are actually employed by a French cruise line, they only get paid for the days they work and are on unemployment benefit the rest of the time.
Not very glamorous, especially since the actual pay is pretty dire, too.
Not all aquatic gigs are that great! :D
[/quote]

Need to get off the ferries and get on with anyone under the Carnival umbrella. They treat musicians really well. Over the past 2 years I've had no problem.

I'd really like to hear more about this and I'm sure I'm not alone. Maybe one of you could start a thread. Cruise/ferry ship stories. I'm sure it could turn into an invaluable resource and steer people into the right directions and away from the wrong ones. Or you could just post them all here and I'll be selfish and keep them for myself. :ph34r:

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1462097929' post='3040194']
Need to get off the ferries and get on with anyone under the Carnival umbrella. They treat musicians really well. Over the past 2 years I've had no problem.
[/quote]

Absolutely - I am a little out of touch but a year or so ago there was only P&O left using bands on the ferry runs & then not much.

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1462097929' post='3040194']
[/quote]

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1462273626' post='3041578']
Absolutely - I am a little out of touch but a year or so ago there was only P&O left using bands on the ferry runs & then not much.
[/quote]

Again, all sounds very interesting. I am very much taking notes. Question. Would the ferries be a good place to start while building things up to hit the real cruise ships when you're ready or are they to be completely avoided?

Last I heard, there was very little ferry work left - a little high season stuff on the longer runs.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you might want to consider contacting a few of the agencies that do "seasonal" work in bars & clubs around europe.
They tend mostly to go for outfits that are already up and running & of course you have a huge amount of competition for the regular, good-paying gigs.
When I lived in Corsica, the locals were getting priced out of the market by (mostly UK) overseas groups who regarded a summer season as a paid holiday and would work for almost nothing.
My band worked the Bal Populaire and Fete au Village scene, both of which paid very well, but you had to have a local connection for most of that work.
If you really want to get regular paid work you would be better off slugging away in the UK.
But have you actually approached any of the larger agencies?
Again, the work will come once you get a rep as a safe pair of hands.

[quote name='markmcclelland' timestamp='1462276321' post='3041624']
Again, all sounds very interesting. I am very much taking notes. Question. Would the ferries be a good place to start while building things up to hit the real cruise ships when you're ready or are they to be completely avoided?
[/quote]
^
Ivan theres lots of ferry work left if you know the right contacts. I know 1 particular company who are in desperate need of bands.

Ferries are fine. I worked on one for in total around 4 months. Easy gig as it's perfect for new bands starting out as the same people are only going to see you for around 2 nights. So thats only around 6/8 sets of music you will need to play without repeating tracks. Easy peasy. Good way to get your rep up and get tight for when you would like to get on the bigger ships.

Great way to save for a couple of months too.

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
The timetable begins to bite as the pace intensifies. A rehearsal, a reaudition, two jam sessions and a whole ton of barwork.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-103/[/font][/color]