Why become a member? ×

Mark's Diaries: The journey of becoming a pro player

markmcclelland

Hi Mark, I've enjoyed reading your diaries which I started about a week ago and what a point to get to and have to wait for the next installment. A real EastEnders cliff-hanger! Dum dum, da da dum......
Looking forward to the next entry, good luck, keep on living the dream and writing about it for us slackers.

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]How to leave a band without leaving a band. Followed by an eventful open mic, not necessarily in a good way.[/font][/font][/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-230-part-2/[/font][/font]
[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]I've just read this for the first time since I wrote it and, Mr Pilson, it's incredible how prescient your words were. I didn't remember at all but this entry starts by talking about exactly what you were talking about. And I swear I didn't change a single letter of it.[/font][/font][/font][/color]

After some recent entries where everything seems to be going incredibly well, day 230 must have been very disheartening for you when it was happening.

You don't go into much detail on the reasons why Craig wanted to give you the boot - would you be willing to elaborate here? I'm intrigued by the phrase "some of the reasons he gives for the decision totally refuted by me."

S.P.

Hey Mr Stylon. Thanks a lot for asking. Do you know what, I was thinking about that very thing after rereading it before the post the other day. I didn't want to get into the whole he said she said thing but OK. The question's been asked so here goes. First off he said I wasn't learning the new songs enough which made no sense to me whatsoever as, as far as I was concerned, I arrived to practice the best prepared of anyone with new songs - when there were new songs to be learned. The last practice, I said to one of the guys it was really refreshing to see a band come together really well prepared and he said, 'If they don't they get let go.' Fair enough I thought but then immediately thought, 'And that would be a bad thing why?' If anything, it was often me saying, 'No, it goes like this. Or, no, it's in this key, it just seems to be in that one.' Maybe with me still being the new guy that didn't sit well with them.

They also cited lateness to gigs which is kind of fair enough as I did arrive at a few late as I was having trouble negotiating the transport system to new venues - and one day I got completely buggered when the timetable overground train I was waiting for just didn't come. Just removed from the timetable with the next one in half an hour or something. To make it worse, for some reason my phone wasn't working so I couldn't call them. I know that didn't go down well. On the whole, you could say, 'leave earlier.' Yep, couldn't argue with that. Fair enough. But when I did arrive late I made absolutely sure I more than pulled my weight on the setup or take down. But anyway, there were normally one or two people who straggled and were five or ten minutes late themselves. It's not like the arrival times were bang on strict and nothing was ever said to anyone. I was even first a few times and I was nearly always first for rehearsal. On one gig when I was a little late I felt so guilty at getting there to find everything set up that I made up for it by carrying every single piece of equipment to the van after. But even on that gig I was only about ten minutes late but that night they'd got there extra early and set it all up so it looked a lot worse than it was. So no I don't really know what the real reason was. Or maybe they think it was what they said, but like I said, totally refuted by me. But as I also said, it was amicable and, minor spoiler, I went to their last gig and was greeted very warmly by everyone and had a great night. Craig in particular gave me a huge bear hug and a massive exclamation of delighted surprise when I arrived. And they specially invited me to it too which was really nice. As I said, there was nothing wrong with any attitude or preparation but given my own thoughts it's just possible I was subconsciously putting things out there. I really was thinking for a while that it wasn't working out and that I wanted to leave but I hadn't been there that long so thought that would be a bit out of order. So I was thinking quite a bit, 'I hope they decide it's not working and make the decision themselves. And that's exactly what happened. As I said, it is just possible I did or said a few things or acted in a certain way to push them to come to that conclusion but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what. I think the overall vibe was friendly and Craig was great throughout all the gigs and everything but I always felt something was just a little off in general.

It is just possible they didn't like all the other stuff I had going on and felt just didn't have my eye completely on their ball and was trying to make something happen for myself outside of their thing. They actually would have been right to have thought that. But as far as it being a reason, I'm really just speculating now.

Edited by markmcclelland

[quote name='markmcclelland' timestamp='1471273526' post='3111712']
Hey Mr Stylon. Thanks a lot for asking. Do you know what, I was thinking about that very thing after rereading it before the post the other day. I didn't want to get into the whole he said she said thing but OK. The question's been asked so here goes. First off he said I wasn't learning the new songs enough which made no sense to me whatsoever as, as far as I was concerned, I arrived to practice the best prepared of anyone with new songs - when there were new songs to be learned. The last practice, I said to one of the guys it was really refreshing to see a band come together really well prepared and he said, 'If they don't they get let go.' Fair enough I thought but then immediately thought, 'And that would be a bad thing why?' If anything, it was often me saying, 'No, it goes like this. Or, no, it's in this key, it just seems to be in that one.' Maybe with me still being the new guy that didn't sit well with them.

They also cited lateness to gigs which is kind of fair enough as I did arrive at a few late as I was having trouble negotiating the transport system to new venues - and one day I got completely buggered when the timetable overground train I was waiting for just didn't come. Just removed from the timetable with the next one in half an hour or something. To make it worse, for some reason my phone wasn't working so I couldn't call them. I know that didn't go down well. On the whole, you could say, 'leave earlier.' Yep, couldn't argue with that. Fair enough. But when I did arrive late I made absolutely sure I more than pulled my weight on the setup or take down. But anyway, there were normally one or two people who straggled and were five or ten minutes late themselves. It's not like the arrival times were bang on strict and nothing was ever said to anyone. I was even first a few times and I was nearly always first for rehearsal. On one gig when I was a little late I felt so guilty at getting there to find everything set up that I made up for it by carrying every single piece of equipment to the van after. But even on that gig I was only about ten minutes late but that night they'd got there extra early and set it all up so it looked a lot worse than it was. So no I don't really know what the real reason was. Or maybe they think it was what they said, but like I said, totally refuted by me. But as I also said, it was amicable and, minor spoiler, I went to their last gig and was greeted very warmly by everyone and had a great night. Craig in particular gave me a huge bear hug and a massive exclamation of delighted surprise when I arrived. And they specially invited me to it too which was really nice. As I said, there was nothing wrong with any attitude or preparation but given my own thoughts it's just possible I was subconsciously putting things out there. I really was thinking for a while that it wasn't working out and that I wanted to leave but I hadn't been there that long so thought that would be a bit out of order. So I was thinking quite a bit, 'I hope they decide it's not working and make the decision themselves. And that's exactly what happened. As I said, it is just possible I did or said a few things or acted in a certain way to push them to come to that conclusion but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what. I think the overall vibe was friendly and Craig was great throughout all the gigs and everything but I always felt something was just a little off in general.

It is just possible they didn't like all the other stuff I had going on and felt just didn't have my eye completely on their ball and was trying to make something happen for myself outside of their thing. They actually would have been right to have thought that. But as far as it being a reason, I'm really just speculating now.
[/quote]
From reading the blog, losing the Punching Preachers gig is hardly surprising. It seems that they are an established band with a few core members and a troublesome floating bass chair. They would possibly feel more comfortable with the original guy back in the band and anybody else just doesn’t feel right! You could tell that there were problems with the onstage tuning incident, where they were all too quick to blame you. In a band with a healthy dynamic there would have been a few comical looks and a bit of mickey taking with the whole thing being passed off as one of those things that happens on a pub gig, not let’s blame the new guy!

However, they do have a bit of a point in that you are not really set up for a band like that playing those types of gigs. To be fair, you have no transport and pretty minimal gear, which maybe OK for gigs where you always have PA support and backline supplied (or where you can use in-ears and DI) butit's not ideal for standard pub gigs with a rock covers band.

Edited by peteb

Hey Pete

Great to hear from you and really appreciate you keeping up.

I hadn't thought about the tuning incident. That's a really good point in terms of being a bit of a microcosm. And yes. Let's jump to conclusions and blame the new guy. And make an issue of it right up there on the stage. And yes. I don't know their full bass player history but you might be right there too. I mean, they took that guy ahead of me in the first audition after, as they said, some debate, but then ditched him pretty quickly and came back to me. Also, when the call to end it came, I was asked if I could leave myself on stand-by if they ever needed cover in the future. I guess that says something too. Never thought about it at the time. Also, asking me to leave myself available for cover shows they can't have been that bloody unhappy with me.

As for my set-up, you do also have a point but I will have to make a correction to what you've said there. First, in the original conversation before I joined, they confirmed they only played London gigs so as long as I could get myself to and from them, that would be fine - and with London transport being so comprehensive and given how well connected where I was living was, that was a total goer logistically at any time of night and day. That is until they suddenly decided they were going to play outside London with the first Luton gig. Their prerogative and an understandable move. But to then have a problem with me for not being able to get myself to and from those kind of gigs - as was quite clearly stated - was a completely unacceptable shift of the goalposts. Until then I had been able to get myself to and from all gigs. Alright there were teething problems but they would have been overcome. As for gear, this is where I have to correct you. What I had was absolutely fine. A nice big and sturdy 200w Trace Elliot. Spot on for just about any gig. That stayed in the van with them which is something I'd done with two previous professional bands in exactly the same ballpark with absolutely no issue. And to be fair, not only did I get the amp back pretty quickly, Craig also gave me a trolley to go with it which was a nice touch.

And it's too late to edit it now as it's been quoted so I can't delete it so sorry. I did a spoiler. Yes, the PPs went on sabbatical not long after my time with them ended. For sabbatical I read broke up but I wouldn't rule out Craig and Matt forming a new version of the band at some point. And they have my very best wishes of good luck if and when they do.

Edited by markmcclelland

[quote name='markmcclelland' timestamp='1471338020' post='3112183'] Hey Pete Great to hear from you and really appreciate you keeping up. I hadn't thought about the tuning incident. That's a really good point in terms of being a bit of a microcosm. And yes. Let's jump to conclusions and blame the new guy. And make an issue of it right up there on the stage. And yes. I don't know their full bass player history but you might be right there too. I mean, they took that guy ahead of me in the first audition after, as they said, some debate, but then ditched him pretty quickly and came back to me. Also, when the call to end it came, I was asked if I could leave myself on stand-by if they ever needed cover in the future. I guess that says something too. Never thought about it at the time. Also, asking me to leave myself available for cover shows they can't have been that bloody unhappy with me. As for my set-up, you do also have a point but I will have to make a correction to what you've said there. First, in the original conversation before I joined, they confirmed they only played London gigs so as long as I could get myself to and from them, that would be fine - and with London transport being so comprehensive and given how well connected where I was living was, that was a total goer logistically at any time of night and day. That is until they suddenly decided they were going to play outside London with the first Luton gig. Their prerogative and an understandable move. But to then have a problem with me for not being able to get myself to and from those kind of gigs - as was quite clearly stated - was a completely unacceptable shift of the goalposts. Until then I had been able to get myself to and from all gigs. Alright there were teething problems but they would have been overcome. As for gear, this is where I have to correct you. What I had was absolutely fine. A nice big and sturdy 200w Trace Elliot. Spot on for just about any gig. That stayed in the van with them which is something I'd done with two previous professional bands in exactly the same ballpark with absolutely no issue. And to be fair, not only did I get the amp back pretty quickly, Craig also gave me a trolley to go with it which was a nice touch. And it's too late to edit it now as it's been quoted so I can't delete it so sorry. I did a spoiler. Yes, the PPs went on sabbatical not long after my time with them ended. For sabbatical I read broke up but I wouldn't rule out Craig and Matt forming a new version of the band at some point. And they have my very best wishes of good luck if and when they do. [/quote]
The thing is that while they may have said that was OK for you to get to gigs by public transport, they were probably thinking it was less than ideal but that they could work around it. However, as soon as they got a gig out of town (which as always a possibility) then they seem to have decided that it was an issue. As an aspiring pro musician you ideally need to be in a position to be able to adapt to the unexpected, otherwise you are going to lose gigs to other bass players who can.

As far as the amp goes, you might think that a 200w Trace combo is suitable for any gig but I’m not so sure. Put it this way, suppose that you and me had both been up for the PP gig. For the sake of argument, we will assume that we are at a similar level playing wise. You turn up for the audition on the tube with a bass and a borrowed 200w amp. I turn up in an estate car with a 410, a good 500w amp, a few pedals and a couple of quality basses (nothing unusual – pretty much the gear that every bass player in the better rock covers bands take out around here). If you can’t play then it doesn’t matter how good your gear is, but if there is little to choose between the guys who turn up then my guess is that they are likely to go with the one who seems to be better set up to play the type of gigs that they do!

One of the interesting things about your blog is that we all find ourselves rooting for you, not least because the odds always seem to be against you (even more so than it is for any other aspiring pro muso). I am sure that you would agree that your prospects would be improved if you had some transport and a couple of grands worth of pro gear, but it is not easy when you are living in London working in a relatively low paid job.

It is hardly surprising that the Punching Preachers decided to call it a day after it didn’t work out with you. They seem like a decent pub rock band that have just run out of steam, can’t find a line-up they are happy with and have nowhere else to go. From what you say, it seems like Craig was your champion in the band – perhaps you might work with him in the future if you decide to do a pub rock band again??

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1470603374' post='3107082']

Ok, blue, you might have issues as technically you'd be unemployed , but the late nights and 4 hour sets 3 nights running.... You may find an easier way to make a few quid. No, that's not a pleasant thought, but you may find before long it's a choice which is made for you by your failing body bits as It was for me .

Enough with the gloom ! Turn it up load and get your bass face on ! :)
[/quote]

Raymond, I was sick as hell today, if it was Friday night I don't know how I could gig.

I started gigging in grade school 1966, I know it won't last forever.

I want 10 more years. 10 more years is doable but not doing 4 hour Colony bar gigs.

I have to find 80 minute headliner work.

Blue

Hey Pete

All totally on point what you said there, especially about Craig being my champion in the band. And I mean everything on point. Yes, of course a set of wheels and a top class bass rig should be in the armory. To be fair, you do very much address what I’m going to say next. In the 'low paid' job part of all that, that really isn't possible and landing here, I just needed to get something - the dilemma part of that is all covered in the Diaries actually; maybe I could go and get a higher paid job and pay for all that stuff - back to journalism maybe - if that's even possible anymore - or even just something higher in the food chain than waiter with a higher salary and more wages security. But then you lose the flexibility I have and need to do what I’m doing as well as the possibility to do ridiculously late night stuff and not have to worry about performance in the morning as you're not in till later - just about every bar person here is a musician, actor, some other kind of creative or student.

So yes money is an issue and I can hear any number of people saying, 'You can't afford the right stuff, ie, car and top line rig, you shouldn't even be trying to do this.' - for the record, I think 99.9% of Diaries readers are not thinking this. As you say, I think the odds against is a really big part of it all. But to address that, OK fine. Agreed. But then I guess I've not even bothered coming to London and stayed at what I was doing even before Costa Blanca. And I'm not even going to begin to go into the ins and outs of that: A lot of it does get and has been covered in the Diary.

But the bottom line is, sometimes you have to go with what you have and hope you can build what you need on the way. Either that or not go at all. I could have thought, 'I'm going to land in London without a car, without an amp and without the means to buy either or even the prospects to make the money to buy either. Doesn't look good.' This latter, for me, is where people hold themselves back waiting and waiting to hold the perfect hand before doing anything about it and discovering, too late, that they're never going to get and never were going to get that perfect hand. That's one of the cubby holes in which regret lives.

I'm not going to go into ins and outs of how loud an amp has to be but I don't think I've ever been in a position where I've needed more than a 200w amp and I certainly wasn't going to be with those guys - but yes, a more expensive, shiny, big rig is more likely to impress than what I have there, especially if there's little to choose between players as you again rightly say. But then pushing it up a few levels, with a really huge gig the PA is putting the sound out to the crowd - think stadium - so even there, you only need to be able to hear yourself on stage. 200w aint enough? At that level of gig you've got the monitors as well to thump it through. As for borrowed, they didn't know that and I kind of had it as long as needed anyway.

So I guess the ethos is, just go. You can build it on the way. Or, as Roland Deschain constantly says in The Dark Tower, 'There'll be water if Ka wills it.'

Or as I say in a song I wrote quite a while ago, 'Leapt when there was nothing to land my feet on/dreamt without saying a prayer/When you get to where you're going/I believe you'll find something there.'

I've also got to disagree that gigging out of town was always going to be an issue. Well, what people say is going to happen and what they're thinking can often be two different things.
But have a look at this. It's a direct quote from The Diaries from The London Diary, Day 36, November 6:
"It turns out they’re a reasonably established cover band that only plays around London, “We find we can get enough work without having to go further,” he adds."

I should say here I didn't call them they called me. If I'd seen an ad for them, I wouldn't have gone for it. But they called me, I told them the exact situation, they were happy with it. Not only that but they went through another bass player, a second audition and, from what they told me, some considerable conversation. so it was clearly very thought about.

As I said before, they totally moved the goalposts with Luton.

Just thought of this so this is an edit I guess. I totally forgot. I did have the nice job with good earning potential with all the overtime on offer and all that. Could well have saved up on that little number but we all know what happened next. And when it comes down to a fight for survival or at least a fight to stay where you are or get your arse back to where you came from and struggled to get out of for so long, thoughts of making the money to buy cars and rigs somewhat slip down the to do list.

Edited by markmcclelland

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471397021' post='3112817']
Raymond, I was sick as hell today, if it was Friday night I don't know how I could gig.

I started gigging in grade school 1966, I know it won't last forever.

I want 10 more years. 10 more years is doable but not doing 4 hour Colony bar gigs.

I have to find 80 minute headliner work.

Blue
[/quote]
You could always move to the UK and do 2 x45 mins ;)

Seriously mate , sorry to hear of your pain ...I am taking it easy all week to have enough energy to do my gig on Saturday.

The very best of luck with your ten year plan :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1471433671' post='3113010']

You could always move to the UK and do 2 x45 mins ;)

Seriously mate , sorry to hear of your pain ...I am taking it easy all week to have enough energy to do my gig on Saturday.

The very best of luck with your ten year plan :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

Thanks,

I'm resting up for a grueling 4 hour bar gig Friday night at Kim's Lake Side.

Ridiculously small place, but everyone plays there and the owners understand the bar band business. The crowd is cool and we always seem to do well there.

It's a lake bar and the clientele has big money. Not unusual to see folks dropping 20s in the tip jar.

I know you guys question tipping, but it's a big part of our service culture in the States.

Blue

Edited by blue

[color=#4B4F56][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]The Flatmates' first gig and it's better paid than anything I've done here so far, immediately followed by an Omater rehearsal where she tells us we have our second gig a week after our first. That now makes four in the book for her. With preparation and mini rehearsal this morning, that makes today music from start to finish. The ongoing saga of the wannabe pro bass player in London [/font][/font][/font][/color][color=#4B4F56][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-241[/font][/font][/font][/color]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471473618' post='3113371']
Thanks,

I'm resting up for a grueling 4 hour bar gig Friday night at Kim's Lake Side.

Ridiculously small place, but everyone plays there and the owners understand the bar band business. The crowd is cool and we always seem to do well there.

It's a lake bar and the clientele has big money. Not unusual to see folks dropping 20s in the tip jar.

[b]I know you guys question tipping, but it's a big part of our service culture in the States.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

We mostly just question why waiters etc don't get a salary just like any other worker, and let tips be 'rewards' for going a little further than is needed in making the experience a pleasant one. It just seems unfair to treat waiters differently from other workers. I have done stints waiting tables as a student, it's hard work as it is, remaining polite and respectful even with the most unpleasant customers, without adding the worry about whether I'd make enough money to pay rent or not.

[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]Omater's first London gig - finally - and I go see an ear doctor and get a few surprises.[/font][/font][/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-242/[/font][/font][/font][/color]

[color=#4B4F56][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A opportunity for a promotion at the bar causes a little inner turmoil. Is it really the right to thing to be chasing?[/font][/color]
[color=#4B4F56][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [url="https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-247/"]https://marksdiaries.../12/19/day-247/[/url][/font][/color]

Edited by markmcclelland

A quite epic entry with one door unexpectedly closing and another one very unexpectedly opening. And a pretty cool Omater gig somewhere in the middle.
[url="https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-251/"]https://marksdiaries.../12/19/day-251/[/url]

Edited by markmcclelland

[quote name='markmcclelland' timestamp='1471865641' post='3116442']
[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=inherit][font=inherit]Omater's first London gig - finally - and I go see an ear doctor and get a few surprises.[/font][/font][/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=inherit][font=inherit][url="https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-242/"]https://marksdiaries.../12/19/day-242/[/url][/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/quote]

That's an interesting coincidence, my current band's first gig was at The Good Ship too. Though it was a rainy Sunday night, and the crowd was exactly like yours - just the other bands and their and our friends.

I have to say though, if you were burning through the songs at hyperspeed and you still had to drop one, then that suggests a problem. Had you expected to have more than half an hour? Or were there lots of pauses between songs?

On the subject of hearing loss, what do you use for ear protection?

S.P.

Balls.Almost finished writing an answer and didn't realise my power chord was out of the computer and the power suddenly went. So here we go again.

I think the set was possibly longer than we realised and the only 'problem' was maybe not watching the clock enough and so not knowing ourselves we should drop the penultimate song rather than having what happened. There were no major gaps between songs as that was down quite well. It's even possible the sound engineer called us early but I don't really know. So I really think it's a case of just watching the clock better. I don't really know what happened with the half hour. I thought we had it timed pretty well. Obviously not. As I said, that's the extent of the problem so easily rectified.

As for the second question, turn away now if you don't want to get grossed out but it works for me and has for as long as I can remember. I use tissue which I soften in my mouth then mold into a ball and stick it in. It's more discrete than big chunky latex things, or whatever it is they're made out of. I did go down the road of the molded things which I paid quite a lot for but they still didn't kill enough sound. And anyway, the ear always develops and changes in size and shape so after six months or so they didn't fit as snugly as they had at the beginning. With the whole tissue thing, yes there are sound issues but I think my ears have developed in hearing over time so I'm able to hear guitar frequencies I may once not have. This has definitely made me wary of freeform jamming in the past.

[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]Karate Kid meets Whiplash and I'm right in the middle in this intense entry. I'm mildly wondering if I'm going to get a rather annoyed call after posting this one.[/font][/font][/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[font=inherit]
[font=inherit]https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-261/[/font][/font][/font][/color]

[quote name='markmcclelland' timestamp='1473085114' post='3126732']
[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=inherit][font=inherit]Karate Kid meets Whiplash and I'm right in the middle in this intense entry. I'm mildly wondering if I'm going to get a rather annoyed call after posting this one.[/font][/font][/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=inherit][font=inherit][url="https://marksdiaries.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/day-261/"]https://marksdiaries.../12/19/day-261/[/url][/font][/font][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Crikey, that came out of nowhere. Very much a change of pace and style.

S.P.