Why become a member? ×

Motown or Stax?

tobiewharton

Motown - first for me, But Stax well there is some excitement on that label, like sweet and sour they balance each other nicely, music today wound not be the same without either and the cross over that followed through the 70's has shaped pop as we know it today.

Both for me also.

They're fundamentally different though - for me the Motown groove is more subtle and funkier - the stax rythmn section is great but different - and extremely powerful particularly live - the Stax horns are very edgy - more towards the James Brown style.

But they are both excellent and a bass player's dream to play.

Stax and Atlantic.

This was where the cool music was being released in the 60's and 70's.

Most of the people/players I knew at the time regarded Motown as pop music and disregarded most of it until the early 70's when What's Going On and the Music Of My Mind were released.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1450894953' post='2936847']
Stax and Atlantic.

This was where the cool music was being released in the 60's and 70's.

Most of the people/players I knew at the time regarded Motown as pop music and disregarded most of it until the early 70's when What's Going On and the Music Of My Mind were released.
[/quote]

I'd go with this.... I think Stax and Atlantic had the most kudos for quite a while after the fact... but it is still some podium.