Why become a member? ×

Motown or Stax?

tobiewharton

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451178313' post='2938727']
"Needs to get out more"

Agreed

Blue
[/quote]

I could "get out" every day from now until the end of time & I still wouldn't like Motown & Stax stuff.
It does absolutely nothing for me, never has, never will.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451178620' post='2938728']
I don't think there's an incorrect way to play/perform "Hard To Handle". I think some bands might play it poorly but incorrect, no. Just my honest opinion.

I love Otis's version, it' the tops to me. However I dig Tom singing it and I also like the way The Black Crows rock it.

Blue
[/quote]
There is a wrong way to play this tune as evidenced by most incarnations that have come up in bands i've been in. Everyones playing the right stuff "technically" but the all important groove is missing. I think a lot of the feel is hard to replicate. Depends how self-critical one is. I always thought it sucked when we played it whilst others were more than happy.

Edited by BottomE

Anyone reading this thread in/close to Sheffield?

My band are playing at firth park wmc tonight....and we just happen to be a soul band, edging more toward the stax Philly sound than Motown (although we play my girl)!

I've posted the gig info in the gig section, so mods please feel free to remove this...but if anyone is close by and at a loose end tonight, it's a great venue and we put on a good show!

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1451213706' post='2938788']

There is a wrong way to play this tune as evidenced by most incarnations that have come up in bands i've been in. Everyones playing the right stuff "technically" but the all important groove is missing. I think a lot of the feel is hard to replicate. Depends how self-critical one is. I always thought it sucked when we played it whilst others were more than happy.
[/quote]

That's how I feel. But then neither of us have Al Jackson Jr drumming, so it ain't gonna happen! I've slowly got out band part by part to adopt the Otis approach, (8 piece), just got to get the drummer to try that way, but I've never been in a band that doesn't have a drummer that doesn't want to play 'that' intro!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1451242971' post='2939056']
That's how I feel. But then neither of us have Al Jackson Jr drumming, so it ain't gonna happen![/quote]

Cropper still says he's the best drummer he ever played with - "the guy was a human metronome" - and that must be a hell of a lot of drummers.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451212707' post='2938777']

I could "get out" every day from now until the end of time & I still wouldn't like Motown & Stax stuff.
It does absolutely nothing for me, never has, never will.[/quote]

Are you like a metal guy?

Blue

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1451166190' post='2938668']

It doesn't take an expert to know his name wasn't Barry...

As for the music, choosing between Motown, Stax and Atlantic is like choosing between three vintage wines. They're all a quality product we can enjoy!
[/quote]

Then enlighten me, I've only heard him refered to as Barry Gordy. What is his name?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1451179500' post='2938732']

Sorry, my next favourite would be Chuck Rainey.
[/quote]

I didn't think he played with Aretha? I'm afraid my mind isn't as orderly as that - I just have a big box called favourite bass players - Chuck Rainey's definitely in there and particularly owing to his contributions on Steely Dan albums - at a push I could split them into 'very favourites' and others but like Motown/Stax etc I certainly couldn't rank them in order.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451212707' post='2938777']

It does absolutely nothing for me, never has, never will.
[/quote]

That's what I said in the 70s and look at me now lol!! Motown Chartbusters Volume 3 is a good intro to Motown.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1451213706' post='2938788']

[/quote]

This is exactly what I was getting at. It takes a rythmn section particularly, but a band which is capable of a soul groove to get there. In my estimation the drummers or guitarists are more regularly the ones who 'don't get it'.

It's the same with funk. There are many are some who can play it technically, far fewer who can create 'that' groove!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1451299823' post='2939334']
That's what I said in the 70s and look at me now lol!! Motown Chartbusters Volume 3 is a good intro to Motown.
[/quote]

I don't need an intro to Motown, I've heard loads of it - my brother in law & my partner are both huge Motown fans. I've heard all the Motown Chartbusters albums & I've even bought some Motown stuff in the past (Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye).
Believe me I've tried to understand what the attraction is but I just don't like it.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451267955' post='2939239']
Are you like a metal guy?

Blue
[/quote]

No.
I used to listen to some old school heavy rock/metal when I was younger, but I don't listen to any now.
I used to be into progressive rock but I can't even listen to that anymore, I just find it annoying.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1451300209' post='2939337']
This is exactly what I was getting at. It takes a rythmn section particularly, but a band which is capable of a soul groove to get there. In my estimation the drummers or guitarists are more regularly the ones who 'don't get it'.

It's the same with funk. There are many are some who can play it technically, far fewer who can create 'that' groove!!
[/quote]
As always the devil is in the detail. Many of these tunes have little nuances. Emphasis just before/after a beat, for example. Makes all the difference. When trying to explain this to the drummer he shrugs and says "come on we have 3 more tunes to learn - the punters won't notice". To a degree he is right but all the same my view is that if you are going to learn a tune - learn it properly, i.e. with the nuances.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1451299656' post='2939330']
I didn't think he played with Aretha?
[/quote]

Chuck Rainey and Bernard Purdie, the classic Aretha Franklin rhythm section.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJx2NnnxA0[/media]

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451268122' post='2939241']

Then enlighten me, I've only heard him refered to as Barry Gordy. What is his name?

Blue
[/quote]

Berry Gordy. In your defence, they sound VERY similar when you hear them spoken in an American accent so it's understandable it'd get confused somewhere along the lines.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1451306662' post='2939411']

Chuck Rainey and Bernard Purdie, the classic Aretha Franklin rhythm section.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJx2NnnxA0[/media]
[/quote]

This is one of the only tracks (nice though it is)? Cogbill and Jemmott are quoted as the main bassists with Aretha from the 60s/early 70s - though there may be some debate over this...

I don't know if this is old hat on here but I've found this site a really useful resource for a lot of the players and songs being talked about here:
http://freebasspart.pv24.pagesperso-orange.fr/my_favorite_bass_lines.htm

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451302222' post='2939357']

No.
I used to listen to some old school heavy rock/metal when I was younger, but I don't listen to any now.
I used to be into progressive rock but I can't even listen to that anymore, I just find it annoying.
[/quote]

So, you don't like any genre or any kind of music?

The reason I ask is, if you don't like Motown or Stax you probably don't like any R&B, funk or soul music, right?

Blue

Edited by blue