Why become a member? ×

Motown or Stax?

tobiewharton

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451342926' post='2939781']
So, you don't like any genre or any kind of music?

The reason I ask is, if you don't like Motown or Stax you probably don't like any R&B, funk or soul music, right?
[/quote]

No I don't like any R&B or soul music really. Don't like blues much either. Some funk is OK but it's not something I'd really choose to listen to.

The only thing I tend to listen to these days is acoustic English folk music & stuff like bluegrass & Americana. Also some solo singer/songwriters but not electric bands. I also listen to some jazz occasionally.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451344345' post='2939798']

No I don't like any R&B or soul music really. Don't like blues much either. Some funk is OK but it's not something I'd really choose to listen to.

The only thing I tend to listen to these days is acoustic English folk music & stuff like bluegrass & Americana. Also some solo singer/songwriters but not electric bands. I also listen to some jazz occasionally.[/quote]

I don't think it's bigoted, there have always been a lot of people that don't connect with R&B, blues or any of the music with deep Black roots.

Me, I'm also a fan of English folk music and bluegrass. But my tastes have always been very diverse. Everyone doesn't have the ability to appreciate and understand multiple genres.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451380289' post='2939928']

I don't think it's bigoted, there have always been a lot of people that don't connect with R&B, blues or any of the music with deep Black roots.

Me, I'm also a fan of English folk music and bluegrass. But my tastes have always been very diverse. Everyone doesn't have the ability to appreciate and understand multiple genres.

Blue
[/quote]

I used to listen to, and play, a lot of blues when I was younger. I just became very bored with it.
Unlike a lot of people on here music has become less & less important in my life as I've got older. I don't even listen to music that often anymore & when I do I don't want to be wasting my time listening to stuff I don't enjoy just so I can pretend I have wide & varied musical tastes. I'd say a good 80% of the recorded music I own I now have no interest whatsoever in listening to ever again, and this includes things that at one time I was quite fanatical about. I have no idea why this has happened, it just has.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1451326575' post='2939593']

This is one of the only tracks (nice though it is)? Cogbill and Jemmott are quoted as the main bassists with Aretha from the 60s/early 70s - though there may be some debate over this...
[/quote]

Tommy Cogbill* played on a lot of the early Atlantic stuff (including Respect and Chain of Fools). Jerry Jemmott played on Think and played the Filmore West gigs.
Rainey played on the classic 'Young, Gifted and Black' album. That's the extent of my knowledge on the matter ☺

*that's Timmy Cogbill to you, Blue ;)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451342926' post='2939781']
So, you don't like any genre or any kind of music?

The reason I ask is, if you don't like Motown or Stax you probably don't like any R&B, funk or soul music, right?
[/quote]

So if someone doesn't like heavy rock / metal / prog, or R&B / funk / soul, that must mean they don't like any kind of music, cos that's all there is?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451380289' post='2939928']
Everyone doesn't have the ability to appreciate and understand multiple genres.
[/quote]

Ah, of course. If someone doesn't share your tastes, it must be down to their lack of ability to appreciate and understand. I think we've been here before....

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451212707' post='2938777']
I could "get out" every day from now until the end of time & I still wouldn't like Motown & Stax stuff.
It does absolutely nothing for me, never has, never will.
[/quote]

This ^ it does nothing for me either and Im still a metal fan.

Edited by DarkHeart

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451382623' post='2939958']

I used to listen to, and play, a lot of blues when I was younger. I just became very bored with it.
Unlike a lot of people on here music has become less & less important in my life as I've got older. I don't even listen to music that often anymore & when I do I don't want to be wasting my time listening to stuff I don't enjoy just so I can pretend I have wide & varied musical tastes. I'd say a good 80% of the recorded music I own I now have no interest whatsoever in listening to ever again, and this includes things that at one time I was quite fanatical about. I have no idea why this has happened, it just has.
[/quote]

Understood, I guess I lucked out or I'm slight in the head. I'm still listening to everthing, still excited about rock & roll and running around like it's still 1965.

Blue

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1450943484' post='2937149']
[b] [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]Respect Yourself: Stax Records and the Soul Explosion by Robert Gordon is the book.[/size][/font][/b]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]I haven't read it yet, it's an early Christmas present.[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]Oh and as Muscle Shoals has been mentioned, dare I add Chess Records, too?[/size][/font]
[/quote]

I think you may - but hey what about James Brown - not a mention in this thread but surely the coolest of all soul singers (phenomena in Brown's case) and bands from the 50s until they morphed into funk in the 70s - and I love all the post 70s stuff as well - neither Motown, Stax, Atlantic or Chess. Now that band could groove!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='rjs1909' timestamp='1453848186' post='2963506']
I feel that Jamerson overplays a lot of the time.
[/quote]

I voted Stax, but Jamerson overplaying? Nooooo.

He was a maestro; the inventor of "proper grown up" bass playing. His note choices were complicated or simple but always the peak of melodic and rhythmical playing and always appropriate to the song.

I've been a Duck Dunn fan since I first heard Green Onions (I know that was Lewis Steinberg) but Jamerson was the first genius of the electric bass.
I remember hearing For Once In My Life for the first time and wondering how that could be played on a bass.