Why become a member? ×

Mustang Bass Flatwound string recommendations?

PaulTMA

HI there,

[color="#000000"]I've had a Squire Mikey Way bass for a few months, but would really like to switch to Flatwound strings now. I've very keen to use the same gauge of strings as the stock set (NPS, .040-.095) as I don't want to have to adjust the bass at all, if not necessary. I can find the D'Addario Chromes in 45-95 quite cheaply, but the trouble is that they are long scale, which from what little I know could be a problem were I to cut them to the desired length for a string-through mustang (medium scale). If this does matter and I should [/color][i]really[/i][color="#000000"] avoid these (or do I?) then another brand's medium scale 45-90s it'll have to be... So, does can anyone advise on this issue and if it needs to be medium scale or nothing, then what brand would you recommend who definitely cater for this gauge? I'm based in the UK so ideally something I can buy domestically. Thanks.[/color]

[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/squier/basses/mustang/mikey-way-mustang-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-large-flake-silver-sparkle/"][color=#000000]http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/squier/basses/mustang/mikey-way-mustang-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-large-flake-silver-sparkle/[/color][/url]

Edited by PaulTMA

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451326541' post='2939592']
La Bella 760 FHB2 Flatwound (Medium Scale) 36-56-77-96, perhaps? Bass Direct have them.

[/quote]

Do you think that gauge is similar enough to not cause any problems as it's set up for 40-95? Is there really very little difference?

Yes! La Bella Flats! Ask for the Mustang bass set, as the ball end is constructed for through-body-over-the-saddle stringing. The simple mid-scale sets are not, and going through body, the short scale sets are too short. You might need a small tweak of the truss rod, but it is worth it.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1451330219' post='2939637']
Yes! La Bella Flats! Ask for the Mustang bass set, as the ball end is constructed for through-body-over-the-saddle stringing. The simple mid-scale sets are not, and going through body, the short scale sets are too short. You might need a small tweak of the truss rod, but it is worth it.
[/quote]

Thise are good on Mustangs.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1451330219' post='2939637']
[/quote]

Do you think there would be a noticeable difference in playability difference having been used to a 45-90 set? Bass is by no means my regular instrument and although it is a short-scale bass, I really don't want the strings to get much heavier to try maintain ease of playing.

The other reason I want to avoid having to re-setup my bass is because I am quite clueless with carrying out my own setup and I cannot face the rip-off prices locally for having any of the guitar shops take care of it.

[quote name='PaulTMA' timestamp='1451332383' post='2939669']
Do you think there would be a noticeable difference in playability difference having been used to a 45-90 set? Bass is by no means my regular instrument and although it is a short-scale bass, I really don't want the strings to get much heavier to try maintain ease of playing.

The other reason I want to avoid having to re-setup my bass is because I am quite clueless with carrying out my own setup and I cannot face the rip-off prices locally for having any of the guitar shops take care of it.
[/quote]

Which 45-90 set? Or is it 40-95? What make and model?

You should learn to setup guitars and basses. It's easy and necessary if you are changing strings especially changing type of strings e.g. round to flat. There are lots of Youtube videos e.g. search 'Lakland setup'.

Edited by EssentialTension

I have changed string gauges on my Pawn Shop Mustang a few times and havent had to alter the truss rod yet. I have had rounds, flats, half rounds and am now back to using Ddarrio rounds again. If you have to tweak the truss rod, honestly, its no big hassle if you check out the Fender site or you tube clips.

[quote name='PaulTMA' timestamp='1451322958' post='2939563']
HI there,

[color=#000000]I've had a Squire Mikey Way bass for a few months, but would really like to switch to Flatwound strings now. I've very keen to use the same gauge of strings as the stock set (NPS, .040-.095) as I don't want to have to adjust the bass at all, if not necessary. I can find the D'Addario Chromes in 45-95 quite cheaply, but the trouble is that they are long scale, which from what little I know could be a problem were I to cut them to the desired length for a string-through mustang (medium scale). If this does matter and I should [/color][i]really[/i][color=#000000] avoid these (or do I?) then another brand's medium scale 45-90s it'll have to be... So, does can anyone advise on this issue and if it needs to be medium scale or nothing, then what brand would you recommend who definitely cater for this gauge? I'm based in the UK so ideally something I can buy domestically. Thanks.[/color]

[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/squier/basses/mustang/mikey-way-mustang-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-large-flake-silver-sparkle/"][color=#000000]http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/squier/basses/mustang/mikey-way-mustang-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-large-flake-silver-sparkle/[/color][/url]
[/quote]

Hi , I have used both Labella 96-36 and Ernie ball flatwounds 95-40 on my short scale jaguar bass which i believe uses the same stock strings as your bass (they are both squier so seems likely) without needing to make any adjustments to the truss rod , I would think chromes gauge 95-40 would be similar tension also , ymmv

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1451333927' post='2939686']
Which 45-90 set? Or is it 40-95? What make and model?
[/quote]

I did mean 40-95 - Squire Mikey Way bass with the stock strings as mentioned in my first post -
NPS, .040-.095 Gauges
[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1451404904' post='2940215']
Hi , I have used both Labella 96-36 and Ernie ball flatwounds 95-40 on my short scale jaguar bass which i believe uses the same stock strings as your bass (they are both squier so seems likely) without needing to make any adjustments to the truss rod , I would think chromes gauge 95-40 would be similar tension also , ymmv
[/quote]

But is the Short Scale Jaguar also through-body like the Mikey Way Mustang?

The chromes 40-95 I can only find in long scale, which I believe would not suit. Do you have links for the Labella and Ernie Ball strings you mean, of the correct scale? It's a bit confusing I have to admit.

Edited by PaulTMA

At a 30-inch scale, in the few short scale basses I have played over the years, but not owned any, but including a Fender Mustang, I didn't notice any playability issues. Playability is more a function of how well the bass is set up and the nut, fingerboard and frets all being straight (well, with the relief set properly), level and true. When those are optimized, a slight difference is string tension is not really noticeable.

Edited by iiipopes

Can anyone recommend these strings at all?

Or perhaps these?

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/stainless-steel-sets-c238/ghs-precision-flatwound-stainless-45-95-medium-scale-bass-boomers-3120-34-5-winding-p9183/s9429?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ghs-precision-flatwound-stainless-45-95-medium-scale-bass-boomers-3120-3120ghs&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CjwKEAiA8K20BRDetNv3p6DNhXwSJADSwa3tJnNwabVc2moF8nfIV_SgDxBOpfvhHrbiY62B9DGaLRoCGg3w_wcB"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/stainless-steel-sets-c238/ghs-precision-flatwound-stainless-45-95-medium-scale-bass-boomers-3120-34-5-winding-p9183/s9429?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ghs-precision-flatwound-stainless-45-95-medium-scale-bass-boomers-3120-3120ghs&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CjwKEAiA8K20BRDetNv3p6DNhXwSJADSwa3tJnNwabVc2moF8nfIV_SgDxBOpfvhHrbiY62B9DGaLRoCGg3w_wcB[/url]

This is proving to be a real head-scratcher. I wonder if what I have to is just go for the LaBella flats even though I'm not sure I'm going to like the added thickness, merely due to the recommendations from everywhere and the fact they have a set designed especially for Mustangs. Really just wanted something as close to a flatwound version of what I already have, though.

Unless of course, I do go for the GHS set, which are 45-95 plus:[list]
[*]Fits 31"-32" Scale Lengths
[/list]
Sound alright?

Edited by PaulTMA

[quote name='PaulTMA' timestamp='1452086908' post='2946223']
This is proving to be a real head-scratcher. I wonder if what I have to is just go for the LaBella flats even though I'm not sure I'm going to like the added thickness, merely due to the recommendations from everywhere and the fact they have a set designed especially for Mustangs. Really just wanted something as close to a flatwound version of what I already have, though.

Unless of course, I do go for the GHS set, which are 45-95 plus:[list]
[*]Fits 31"-32" Scale Lengths
[/list]
Sound alright?
[/quote]

Both the Roto Jazz Bass and the GHS are medium scale which usually means 32". I cannot guarantee it but I would expect both will likely fit the Mustang.

If you email Rotosound and GHS asking the speaking length if those strings then you can measure the Mustang and know in advance. Otherwise there is always a risk.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1452105468' post='2946499']
Both the Roto Jazz Bass and the GHS are medium scale which usually means 32". I cannot guarantee it but I would expect both will likely fit the Mustang.

If you email Rotosound and GHS asking the speaking length if those strings then you can measure the Mustang and know in advance. Otherwise there is always a risk.
[/quote]

I emailed GHS and got no response, so I think I might just take the risk. It does say 31"-32" though. Thanks for the advice - hope they are what I'm looking for.

[quote name='PaulTMA' timestamp='1452257592' post='2948134']
I emailed GHS and got no response, so I think I might just take the risk. It does say 31"-32" though. Thanks for the advice - hope they are what I'm looking for.
[/quote]

A link to winding lengths on this post from ET.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/273227-best-flatwound-strings-for-30-scale/page__view__findpost__p__2909037

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1452281485' post='2948544']
A link to winding lengths on this post from ET.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/273227-best-flatwound-strings-for-30-scale/page__view__findpost__p__2909037"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2909037[/url]
[/quote]

Ah, well spotted, I had forgotten that.