Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3

Wan

I have a Zoom MS-60B which is the little brother to the B3. Just a couple of thoughts from me:

(1) I LOVE the sub-octave you can get from this unit. It tracks very well and sounds massive when set up correctly. It reminds me of the sub-harmonic built into my MAG-300 albeit with a great deal more flexibility.

(2) The drive/distortion/fuzz sounds are pretty noisy and don't really sound all that great - if you're into these you'd be better off with a dedicated unit.

(3) It is very easy to set up the pedal - as close to being an analog unit as you could imagine.

At the end of the day, the price that these units go for is just crazy given how much they offer. I paid around the same price as a dedicated floor tuner for my MS-60B. It works as a great tuner, and does all the other stuff too.

The B3 is probably worth the extra cost given that it has the looper, audio interface and three pedal-buttons on.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1451431231' post='2940507']
They aren't fiddly at all, in that I never fiddle with one live, I just have it setup how I want and turn the sections on I need when I need them.
[/quote]

That's the way to do it, if you are an inveterate fiddler, then tweaking on the fly might be a problem, I have about 6 presets that I played with at home and in the rehearsal room, and now I've got em right its just a case of step up or step down to find em.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451490929' post='2940925']
Merely my personal experience with multi effects units for live application.

Blue
[/quote]

Have you used a B3 live or are you talking about effects units in general. I have a B3 and it's fine for gigs and certainly doesn't make any noise.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1451491374' post='2940931']

Have you used a B3 live or are you talking about effects units in general. I have a B3 and it's fine for gigs and certainly doesn't make any noise.
[/quote]

Overall multi-effects,never used the B3.I don't know, I always felt they were a better fit for home recording.

I'm a die hard pedal guy.

Blue

You might be pleasantly surprised to hear the new breed of digital multi effects. They're not the hissy tone suckers that they used to be. Things have moved on a lot since the bad old days. I don't gig my B3 any more as I have an MS60B on my board that does what I need right now just fine. Although I'm a pedal nut too, if I had a gig where stage space was a real problem I'd happily use my B3 instead of my board. It is that good IMO.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1451489128' post='2940907']
Are there any pro players who endorse this? Not that this is a guarantee of quality - just want to hear one using synth in a live situation.
[/quote]

Frank Bello, Victor Wootten, Dave Ellefson, Doug Wimbish. Me, lol! Well, I'm a professional bassist!

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1451517921' post='2941272']
Guy Pratt uses one
[/quote]

Yes! True! I remember seeing a video of a show recently where you can see the displays lit up by his feet

Edited by dood

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1451677209' post='2942410']
Straight into the input will work just fine.
[/quote]

Yup, I think the effects loop is more likely to have too much signal level from the send - or to put it another way, there isn't an input gain control on the B3 sadly.

I've had both the B2.1u and now have the B1.on. For the money Zoom multi fx pedals are very good. I found the B2 a little tricky to using given it's only got the 2 digit display on it, the B1 interface is much better. I also own a BOSS GT6B and the amp sims on the Zoom are, in my opinion, much better (but then it is a much newer pedal).

The B1 is great for home practice. Bass in, aux in (iPod, tablet or laptop in) and headphones out. Compact and easy to use.

I tend to put the B1 in front of the Boss, use the B1 for some amp sim and the Boss for other effects, works a treat in a band situation

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1451677209' post='2942410']
Straight into the input will work just fine.
[/quote]
[quote name='dood' timestamp='1451677811' post='2942418']
Yup, I think the effects loop is more likely to have too much signal level from the send - or to put it another way, there isn't an input gain control on the B3 sadly.
[/quote]

Thanks guys. Can I assume that the B3 in bypass mode does not suck anything from the tone of the instrument?