Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3

Wan

I picked up a B3 a few years ago. Just discovered that the whole time I've had the effects order the opposite way round from what I thought it was :blink: I've often struggled getting my created patches to behave the way I expected them to, assumed it was down to limitations of the device.

I did wonder why so many of the built-in patches had reverb at the start of the chain :rolleyes: What a muppet.

I used mine for the 1st time at practice at the weekend. Used a touch of compression from the 160 model and a blended Tube Screamer for some overdrive. (This was into the practice studio's Ashdown combo...not my fave to be honest)

Very gently comp, but the overdrive shone...real nice grind on top of a solid clean signal. No loss of...anything really. Next week I plan on using some EQ or preamp modelling to get a better overall sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got around to mess around with my B3.
Is there a way to delete or create new patches, so the few patches I want is stored First in the bank?
Can't remember how many patches there are from the factory, but are there room for additional patches you make yourself, or do you have to delete some of the presets first?
Same thing with the stand alene effects, can they be moved, so my favorite effects are stored just beside each other?
I'm not that tecnical, but I hope to get to know the B3 so I can get as most out of it as possible.
Sorry for the newbie questions

When you've created a new patch just save it where you want , for example, A1, A2, A3 etc. This replaces the factory preset.
For stand alone effects do you mean move them around in the effects list? They can't be moved but you'll soon get to know the order of the list and it only takes a few seconds to scroll round the list to find your favourites.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1457835893' post='3002246']
When you've created a new patch just save it where you want , for example, A1, A2, A3 etc. This replaces the factory preset.
For stand alone effects do you mean move them around in the effects list? They can't be moved but you'll soon get to know the order of the list and it only takes a few seconds to scroll round the list to find your favourites.
[/quote]

Thanks ratman, that was just what I meant

Mine is still last in line on my pedalboard, and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I do not use the overdrives on it as I still prefer "real" pedals, but I believe I am the only person who would notice a difference in my sound. I do however use it for fuzz occasionally and have no complaints whatsoever.

Compressors, amp models, and modulation effects are where this thing really shines, along with the wide variety of delays and reverbs. The variety of different ones on offer mean that there should be something there to please most players.

The noise gate isn't bad either, but does noticeably affect the tone.

Tuner is great, I no longer use a Korg Pitchblack!

Tone suck when using no effects is KIND of there. Not very noticeable, but I actually like what it does to my sound. Almost makes it sound a little cleaner, like a really subtle compression.

Main thing I love about this pedal though, is that if I ever want to do some recording, all I need to do is connect it to a computer via USB. All my other effect pedals are already connected to it so I can turn up anywhere with a bass and my board and be good to go.

Another huge plus is the good quality DI output. If I ever have an amp fail on me, I can use an amp model on the B3 and go straight into the desk without sacrificing my tone.

Total bargain!

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1456923748' post='2993545']
I picked up a B3 a few years ago. Just discovered that the whole time I've had the effects order the opposite way round from what I thought it was :blink: I've often struggled getting my created patches to behave the way I expected them to, assumed it was down to limitations of the device.

I did wonder why so many of the built-in patches had reverb at the start of the chain :rolleyes: What a muppet.
[/quote]

You can switch the direction of the signal flow - see page 19 of the manual.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been too bothered with effects, but just bought a B3 for a new project where I'll need mild distortion, or chorus effects on some songs.

The B3 is much easier to switch between effects in a live situation than the Korg AX3B I bought a few years ago for similar reasons, and it's an altogether higher quality product. One feature that really sold me on the B3 was the built-in looper function, as I thought this this would be very useful on one particular song we'll be playing at every gig.

But I've found a problem here, as before buying the B3 I had assumed that the looper would store whatever I recorded on it - even when the unit is powered off - as seems to be the case with stand-alone looper pedals. Sadly; turning off the power on the B3 erases the loop, which means that I'll have the hassle of re-recording the loop before the start of each gig we play and will have to make sure the B3 stays powered up after that.

That's not an insurmountable problem, but it's a disappointment on an otherwise well-designed product.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a B3 for a couple of years now and wouldn't be without it.

I'm not a huge user of effects but in a covers band it's nice to know that the options are there if/when you do need to reproduce a particular sound. A multi effects unit with a DI and tuner is a no brainer. My board (a small but perfectly formed pedal train mini) consists of a B3, a VT Bass and my wireless. The tuner on the B3 is great too.

An online search will quickly bring up links to online forums showing lots and lots of patches that other users have spent time setting up and tweaking.

Highly recommended :-)

Being new to all things bass... I have already seen that here is a huge choice of effects available with prices from not too bad to ouch. I'm a fan of Zoom anyway as I have an H2N recorder (which I've used to record at a couple of concerts I was playing in). The B3 keeps popping up when I go trawling round the web. This is looking like a good way of acquiring adecent amount of capability without going mad... I am definitely twitching...

• 2 months later...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1457992343' post='3003812']

You can switch the direction of the signal flow - see page 19 of the manual.
[/quote]

I always turn the amp simulation to the first section, I have noticed that amps sometimes appear last, but that don't sound right to me

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1463695604' post='3053513']
My board (a small but perfectly formed pedal train mini) consists of a B3, a VT Bass and my wireless.
[/quote]

I have been thinking the same way. Do you cable board/amp, or how do you set up the wireless?

• 3 months later...

I had mine set on the Markbass amp/BB Pre-amp as this mirrored my set-up at the time. What I did find was that all of the effects are set too full-on for me - back off of the blend to about halfway and everything sounded great. I also did what many Talkbass users recommended and fully backed off on the cab sims. I really liked the B3, nice bit of kit.

Does anyone have any tips for getting a couple of sounds I am after from the B3, I know it's all subjective but any starting points for me have a doable with would be welcome. Firstly I am after a really clean sound but as rich and deep as possible, secondly I want a warm fuzz, bordering on mild distortion.

All suggestions welcome.

• 3 years later...

I've just got a B3 now discontinued.I've been using the Mb60 stomp box live until now.I love the software editing of patches and the ability to download and save ,Usb connection to my mac allows recording directly to my DAW(Garage Band) essentially an audio interface.You have to really plan your banks of fx as only 3 are available at any given time but with a little thought this Isn't a problem..I've found it to be little noisy especially the compressors but if you lower their gain then that's sorted.

Its uses for me are 

1) Playing the upright live.The b3 can give you more control over your sound be it compression, pre amp, cab sim or eq( it will never replace a good set of mics but we all know the problem of miking up an upright  in a live situation. Tc have  a chorus effect called "The widener" does what it says on the tin and fantastic for spreading the upright sound around the stereo spectrum. I've recreated this with the ensemble effect, which is really neat for the upright 

2) Enhancing the fretless.It's been a good send in this dept.The Bass now has a unique voice well Jaco really but without the chops..

I could go on. Iv'e set a patch for the Jazz bass based on Marcus sound and the P Bass sounds like it's come straight out of detroit well circa 1965.

In conclusion 

I've never really had a great studio sound as most engineers understandably can't read your mind when you have a sonic idea in your head.With the B3 I can now rock up and have several options at my finger tips unfortunately with studios closing down and Digital recording available to all I can't see this happening soon. Great piece of gear though... 

B3 1.JPG

• Like 1