Why become a member? ×

NGD. Seagull Original

Thunderpaws

So, had a decent amount of vouchers for Guitar Guitar and popped into their Edinburgh store with the aim of getting a Yamaha THR 10 and a compressor for my bass. Got there, played a range of instruments through the THR, and was immensely appreciative of its versatility. A PBass sounded pretty good through it and much louder than I thought was possible through the small form factor. It didn't distort at high volumes either which was also a nice surprise. The guitar amp models also sounded really good, though the High Gain model was a bit silly, but is supposed to be.

Anyhow, I decided to pop next door to their new acoustic shop and had a nice informative chat with the shop attendant. I wandered around looking at guitars that cost more than my car until he brought out some acoustic guitar for me to try. I'll skip straight to the one I walked out with. It's a Seagull. I hadn't heard of the brand before. It's made by Godin in a small village near Quebec in Canada. The French bit. It's clearly better than the others I tried at the same price point (£350ish), more like the others I tried around £600ish. Finishing, timber, assembly all seems top notch. However, it was the ease of playing and the sound that won it for me and postponed my THR buying. I have large hands. The neck seems to suit them. The sound wasn't too trebly or too bass heavy. Somewhere in between. Just right for me. Sounds warm as hell. Projects immensely well too. The sides are made from wild cherry from Canada and the grain pattern is pretty cool. Not like furniture. The action is low bit with no fret buzz. It has a properly thought out bridge. The tuners turn positively and tuning seems to have held up well since I got it a week ago and temperatures have been up and down.

Absolutely delighted with it. It's time for me to learn to play it properly.

They are great guitars. Much better guitar than the pounds you spend really ought to get you. My wife has a Norman (another Godin brand which is really just a Seagull by another name with a different shaped headstock) and it is a cracking little guitar!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1454546698' post='2970797']
Pictures people! PICTURES!
[/quote]

Yes... forum rule is, 'pics or it didn't happen', i.e. your post is merely fabrication and has no basis in fact without pics.

Edited by discreet

I've just agreed to buy my brother's ex-gigging Seagull Duet. Rosewood back and sides and cedar top with LR Baggs duet II preamp. It isn't pretty (had a proper playing life and just been refretted), but sounds BEAUTIFUL! I've never played a Seagull I didn't like to be honest, although the only one I've owned before was one of their parlour guitars about 10 years ago. Even it sounded deep and rich even accounting for its size.