Why become a member? ×

Double bass cleaning

SteveJ

At the moment I'm using..

-Pirastro String Cleaner for my strings. (Love it. Would highly recommend.)
-Dunlop 65 Orchestral polish & cleaner for the top, back & ribs etc. (Not convinced yet. A pain to buffer nicely.)
-Planet Waves Fingerboard Conditioner for the fingerboard. (Love it. Would highly recommend.)
-Dunlop 65 Fretboard Ultimate Lemon Oil for the neck. (Jury's still out on this. Does a job..)

Would also be interested to hear what other products people use.

I use

-Pirastro String Cleaner
-Kolstein's Cleaner
Kolstein's Polish

For the fingerboard - VERY occasionally - I use a thing called Number 1 Fingerboard Oil. I was given half a dozen tins by my DB teacher many years ago and I use it on everything - DB, guitars, the lot. Who knows where it came from, but it does the job beautifully and I have enough to see me out, so that's fine!

I must admit, I don't really use any products on mine. It gets wiped down with a microfibre cloth after a sweaty gig or if it gets dusty. Occasionally I'll wipe the strings down with a little isopropyl alcohol to brighten them up a bit and remove old rosin. Other than that I'm not sure it really needs anything to be regularly applied.

I regularly use a Milton solution to clean the strings thoroughly. After that, it gets used on the fingerboard. does a great job on the strings and it's amazing just how much gunk there is on the fingerboard even if you're (like me) pretty religious about wiping down with a cloth after gigs etc.
I swear the sound is actually clearer after cleaning the 'board as well. The Milton does a similarly nice job of cleaning the neck too.
AND...

Makes the bass safe for a baby to chew on, I guess...

Good quality wax, fine furniture polish for the body, used sparingly every month or two, buffed with micro-fibre cloth. Always wiping off any dust with a duster first, before polish application. Then duster occasionally between polishing as needed.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil sprayed very lightly onto another [/font][/color]micro-fibre cloth[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] for wiping the finger-board, and strings. This every time I play or several times during a sweaty gig or rehearsal.[/font][/color]

Edited by timbass

My 150 year old bas bass was originally found by me unloved and dying in a hot, dry room. It was cracked and all open seams etc. There was at least 50 years of caked on dirt on it. My luthier suggested chrome polish. Being young and enthusiastic I added a buffer attachment on a drill into the equation. It came up a treat.