Why become a member? ×

Another Newbie to the Forum

RhythmSection

Hi All and good morning,

I am a new joiner to the forum though I have lurked about here for a couple of years and recognize the wealth of knowledge available to and from members.

I've played bass since 1980, self taught, and played in a covers band in the late 80's & early 90's which was great fun. Since then work has taken over though the bass has remained one of my ways of relaxing. With a new job and more free time comes the opportunity to join or form a band, and there is the potential for a group of work colleagues to get together, this is all 'in progress'.

Gear wise, I started with a Westone Thunder 1A , and then an Ashley Pangborn Chieftain II, I wish I still had the Ashley! Moved on to the Fender Precision and have stayed with Fender since. I now have a Japan made P Bass which is my workhorse, a crafted in Japan Jazz 62 re-issue fretless/lined, and a 2012 American Standard Jazz. These give me all that I need from my basses!

Amps - I recently bought an Ampeg BA-210, which should be enough for small gigs, though I may need an extension cab (which I have a question about later).

I have some combo's to move on, an old Carslbro Pro Series 200 combo, and an Ashdown Perfect 10 30W combo. These suited my needs to practice in the the house with the Ashdown, and annoying the neighbors from the garage with the Carlsbro. The Ampeg brings everything together in one portable box.

Effects? well as a Joy Division, Banshees, Cure & Japan fan, then the Chorus pedal is my favorite, I also have a Flanger (both Boss brown boxes from the late eighties.) These may become redundant because a Behringer Bass V-amp Pro came with my new Ampeg. I have read the bad press, but will give it some time.

A really good buy a few years ago was the M-Audio Fastrack computer interface which allows me to practice through my computer along with the music, using headphones and without annoying the family! A great piece of kit.

I've mentioned my early influences but over the years have learnt to appreciate many styles of bass playing (in no particular order) Duck Dunn, Alan Spenner, Mick Karn, James Jameson, Mike Mills, Paul Mcartney, Jack Bruce, Flea and loads more.

I think that's enough so I'll stop before you all fall asleep!

I hope that I can contribute to the forum as well as learn from it.

Steve

Edited by RhythmSection