Why become a member? ×

** SOLD ** Yamaha BB2004 - Natural
£450

Gary Williams

I bought this beauty back in September 2015 from fellow Basschatter mmc as I had some short term gigs abroad and wanted a "budget" bass so I didn't have sleepless nights worrying about taking my CS Pino or MM Stingray...... we've all seen those photos on Facebook of broken guitars and cases on runways caused by clumsy baggage handlers. Plus I've always wanted a Yamaha bass!

What I didn't expect was the build quality of this bass, it's built like a tank (but only weighs 9 pounds) and also the fantastic variety of sounds available via the great actives onboard this bass - ferocious P bass tones and great active slap tones with sizzling highs.

But I now need to pass her on as she is no longer required and I don't want to upset Mrs Williams.

Here's a clip of Nick Fyffe from Jamiroquai putting a Yamaha BB2004 through its paces: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDgjRwvG-lA&index=1&list=FLTJeqw_yxHaim0yhALtQesg"]https://www.youtube....xHaim0yhALtQesg[/url]

I have no idea of age but I guess it is fairly new as it is in great condition but I do know they are now unavailable from new. The serial number is QML 249003 if that helps anyone. At a guess, I'd say 24th September 2003 but I'll message mmc to see if he knows the exact age.

Just Googled and they were apparently discontinued in 2006.

There are a couple of dings on the body top and bottom edge and small ding on the headstock as you can see in the pictures below but all very small and superficial.

[b]Here's the spec from GAK on the BB2004:[/b]

[i]“Designed with a sleek, deep-cutaway body profile, this new bass offers many of the features that have made Nathan East's BB-NE2 the deserved flagship of the BB range. The maple/mahogany through-neck promotes maximum sustain in conjunction with individual bridge assemblies for each string, while the playing range is a full two octaves. The rosewood fingerboard is decorated with sumptuous pearl block markers.[/i]
[i]A stunning palette of sounds comes via two powerful single-coil, controlled by two-band EQ and a pickup balancer, plus the additional tone-shaping facilities of a variable mid cut frequency control and cut-off switch.”[/i]

[b]Here's the Yamaha Spec: [/b]

[i]Scale Length: 863.6mm[/i]
[i]Construction: Through Neck[/i]
[i]Length: 1137.0mm[/i]
[i]Width: 315.0mm[/i]
[i]Net Weight: 4.3kg[/i]
[i]Body Material: Maple, Alder[/i]
[i]Body Depth: 47mm[/i]

[i]Fingerboard Material: Rosewood[/i]
[i]Fingerboard Width: 0-F40.0mm,12-F56.4mm[/i]
[i]No. of Frets: 24[/i]

[i]Neck Material: Maple, African Mahogany[/i]
[i]Neck Thickness: 1-F21.1mm,12-F26.4mm[/i]

[i]Hardware: Chrome Plated[/i]
[i]Nut: Bone[/i]
[i]Bridge: BPZ-8 Diecast (Chrome)[/i]

[i]Controls:[/i]
[i]Master Volume, Bass, Treble, Mid Cut Freq, Balancer, Mid Cut Toggle Switch[/i]

[i]Pickups:[/i]
[i]Front: Humcancel (Split Single Coil)[/i]
[i]Rear: Stacked type (Single Coil)[/i]
[i]Magnet: Alnico V[/i]

[b]Price: £450.00 [/b](which is what I paid for it)

The bass came without a gig bag or case and I don't have a spare cheap case so I guess this sale may be a pickup only. I am based in Horsham in West Sussex and willing to travel a reasonable distance to meet up if required.

[b]NB:[/b] Pics show Ernie Ball straplocks but the original straplocks will be refitted for the sale.

[b]Here's the pics:[/b] [i](taken outside on yet another very grey day unfortunately!)[/i]

Edited by Gary Williams

I tried this bass out earlier this week. It is absolutely stunning & in mint condition.
I stupidly realised that I couldn't afford to spend any cash this month :( I must enjoy making myself suffer! Had it turned up in the spring, I'd have bought it in a flash.
Whoever buys this will be very happy indeed. Gary is a great guy to deal with as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, this bass has been "sold" twice in the last 3 weeks but the sale fell through as the buyers didn't have the money to pay for it. Which is a first for me on here :0)

The bass is just fantastic and, in my humble opinion, an absolute bargain!

:)

Edited by Gary Williams

[quote name='adledman' timestamp='1454448968' post='2969932']
i cant believe this bass has not sold yet!! a through neck top end yamaha for £450 is just mental! i really wish i had the money as i would have jumped on this.
[/quote]

Many thanks Adleman - great bass indeed.

Looking like it may be sold.......

Gary :0)