Why become a member? ×

Good Bridges not Hipshot. Badass or Babicz

Chienmortbb

I realise that I am likely to get a lot of different answers to my questions but here goes.

Cheap Kit bass and it will be used to try things. The stock bridge us a traditional BBOT but OK. However I would like to be able to remove the strings quickly when trying things.

I am looking at the Sung Il BB001 and BB404. They both allow easy restringing and the BB404 allows the saddle to be locked in position. Has anyone used either and has anyone any other suggestions? Remember that I do not want to pay more from a bridge than the kit cost.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Kit was £75 although it is over £100 in some places. The BB001 is £13 and the BB404 is £18. Just noticed your signature. Sold my Thunder 1A many years ago when I went to 5ers. Now back on 4 strings and wish I had not sold it. My neck disagrees though.

Edited by Chienmortbb

If the bass suits it and you don't mind a bit of routing, the two-piece Warwick bridges aren't expensive and have a quick-release tailpiece: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bridge_30118_4c.htm?ref=search_rslt_warwick+bridge_162645_2"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bridge_30118_4c.htm?ref=search_rslt_warwick+bridge_162645_2[/url]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1452011511' post='2945507']
If the bass suits it and you don't mind a bit of routing, the two-piece Warwick bridges aren't expensive and have a quick-release tailpiece: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bridge_30118_4c.htm?ref=search_rslt_warwick+bridge_162645_2"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bridge_30118_4c.htm?ref=search_rslt_warwick+bridge_162645_2[/url]
[/quote]I have looked at ailpiece/bridge pairs but somehow dismissed them. I love the look of that and the fact that it has slot in stringing. Damn another choice. Seriously thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Gotoh 201. Best cheapest brand name bridge out there. Chunky, and doesn't look ridiculous. I prefer them over Babicz, Hipshot and Badass.

However it's not quick release string changing :( I should have read the original post better!

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1452443334' post='2949971']
I would go for that but this bass will be a test bed, with new pickups etc being tried. That is the reason I was looking for quick restringing.
[/quote]

Not trying to be funny, but are you really going to save that much time? I don't find threading the strings through a hole in the bridge particularly time-consuming when stringing a bass, it's the winding the strings on to the tuner posts, fettling the saddles and getting the bass in tune! Or have I missed something again?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452450999' post='2950064']
Not trying to be funny, but are you really going to save that much time? I don't find threading the strings through a hole in the bridge particularly time-consuming when stringing a bass, it's the winding the strings on to the tuner posts, fettling the saddles and getting the bass in tune! Or have I missed something again?
[/quote]

It isn't..for a new set of strings but if you put cleaned up strings on then it is a pita threading coiled strings..so it is definitely a factor for me. I'm looking at a swap out for a Am deluxe bridge and Hipshot look the best bet in that regard.
I like ABM but I don't want to re-drill.

Edited by JTUK

Taking them on and off a couple of times with a standard bridge makes a mess of the silks too. I spent a while trying to decide between rounds and flats for the band I played in and swapped the same sets over a few times, and I would have appreciated a quick-release bridge for that (I settled on the flats, FWIW).