Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR Singlecut 5?

AndyTravis

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1451837965' post='2943850']
That's more like it!
I usually like singlecuts, but the BTB looked ugly to me. This is nice.
[/quote]

What this man said. That is very pretty indeed. Jus a pity Ibanez necks are a couple of mm too thin for me. It is tempting though.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1451844255' post='2943950']
I hope there won't be a six string version as I'll have to have one. Never been big fan of Ibanez except for their six string SR basses, especially the Prestige's. Those fit me like no other sixers did/do.
[/quote]

I feel the same but I think that's a combination of the 16.5mm narrow string spacing and the neck profile. This Singlecut model (for some reason!) has gone away from the spec and has 18mm string spacing... That alone would put me off! Love the look of it but owning an SR605 and playing the BTB 6 string models regularly (17mm spacing on 6 strings), I wouldn't want anything more than 17mm. Shame as I REALLY like the look of it!!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1451844377' post='2943952']
Excellent! I love how SC basses are becoming more and more common, great to see a mass produced one of this style enter the market at what Im sure will be a brilliant price :)
[/quote]

Agreed. I love the fact that modern shapes and single cut basses are becoming more common. I love how much they seem to divide opinion too :-)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1451846094' post='2943977']
Agreed. I love the fact that modern shapes and single cut basses are becoming more common. I love how much they seem to divide opinion too :-)
[/quote][quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1451845945' post='2943973']
No. The original SR is an elegant & lightweight design and all this does is add 2lbs of unnecessary wood, and make it pig-ugly. Horrid.
Jon.
[/quote]

Haha ;)

You presumably only play headless Steinberger type basses Jon, in the interest of losing unnecessary wood ;)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1451845950' post='2943974']
I feel the same but I think that's a combination of the 16.5mm narrow string spacing and the neck profile. This Singlecut model (for some reason!) has gone away from the spec and has 18mm string spacing... That alone would put me off! Love the look of it but owning an SR605 and playing the BTB 6 string models regularly (17mm spacing on 6 strings), I wouldn't want anything more than 17mm. Shame as I REALLY like the look of it!!
[/quote]

Well, let's wait and see. AFAIR they always did the usual 16.5 mm on 6 string SR's, one exception being the Adam Nitti sig that comes to my mind. The last thing I need is another Ibby sixer but life is too short for contamplating how many basses I REALLY need.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1451847199' post='2944001']
Haha ;)

You presumably only play headless Steinberger type basses Jon, in the interest of losing unnecessary wood ;)
[/quote]

I have got two Steiny-type headlesses, now you come to mention it... :P

I have a massive soft spot for Ibby SRs, had a fretted & fretless pair of SR800s in the early 90s, sold them a few years back & regretted it. Recently got a fixer-upper SR500 which I gave a Danish oil refin over Xmas - it's currently hanging by my desk drying, & I keep being struck by what a good looking bass it is every time it catches my eye... and then I see [i]this[/i] thing... :ph34r:

J.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1451839395' post='2943871']
...just a pity Ibanez necks are a couple of mm too thin for me. It is tempting though.
[/quote]

Agreed. And I've got one. I thought I'd get used to the thinness but I've had it two years now and it still feels slightly too thin.
I like the look of this SC but there's no temptation there for me. .....which is lucky.