Why become a member? ×

Cheapest most simple way to record

Twincam

Hi in the past ive had others record me, and for a very quick recording I've even just used an iPhone and garage band in front of the amp, with surprisingly ok results for a phone in front of an amp that is.

I want to move on and get better recordings myself. Nothing special just useable. I don't have a pc or Mac but I do have an ipad, I do want to mic up a cab but also go direct if I chose or do 2 instruments at the same time or instrument and vocals at the same time.

So I'm thinking use the ipad, one of those mic/instrument pre amp boxes, and a mic for bass I won't need a vocal mic as can get use of one. After this thought I'm lost on which things to buy and what software to use I'm a complete beginner at software so the easier the better.

Any help much appreciated, again simple and cheap please.
Thanks

Edited by Twincam

I can only say what I use. I record into Cubasis on the iPad with very good results. Cost me £35 in the app store. Endless tracks you can record onto. Onboard effects as well drums and basic synths and samples. I put everything through an Alesis iodock as an interface but others are available such as the mentioned Aogee. You then have loads of effects apps you can use in conjunction with Audiobus.

Focusrite iTrack is fine, but it has no Midi I/O.
If you need Midi control the Focusrite iTrack Dock is a better bet.
http://itrack.focusrite.com/products/itrack-dock-studio

Or as Bassbus said above, the Alesis IO Dock.
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/alesis-io-dock-ii-recording-interface-for-ipad?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzai0BRCs2Yydo8yptuIBEiQAN3_lFi8IsLXrScnkL9NSIgelKxbO46aJt6DdGl1VZJViTrUaAlLN8P8HAQ

Both great and only between £30/£40 more than the iTrack.

Ok I will go for the focusrite Itrack studio pack as it seems like a good deal.

A few questions. Is it possible to mic a cab ok with this? Would the mic in the pack be ok for bass if I want to mic a cab? Again doesn't have to be great just useable, If not I will buy another mic.
What is the most simple recording software compatible with this?
Thanks

Garageband is a great and simple app. I can't believe the price either !

[url="https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/garageband/id408709785?mt=8"]https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/garageband/id408709785?mt=8[/url]

It has some nice amp and cab sims to make things easy.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1451914383' post='2944483']
Ok I will go for the focusrite Itrack studio pack as it seems like a good deal.

A few questions. Is it possible to mic a cab ok with this? Would the mic in the pack be ok for bass if I want to mic a cab? Again doesn't have to be great just useable, If not I will buy another mic.
What is the most simple recording software compatible with this?
Thanks
[/quote]

You can use it with garageband on the iPad.
The I think iTrack package comes with Cubase le recording software but I'm not sure.

I was looking at getting an audio interface that I could use on my iPad & was really tempted by the Presonus iTwo (they do an iOne as well). Both recently came down in price considerably. These are audio interfaces that can be used straight to your iPad.
If you have the camera kit for your iPad, there's a few decent audio interfaces that can utilise that as well from Roland & Steinberg.

I ended up going for the NI Komplete Audio 6, which can't be used with the iPad, but it was the extra inputs that won me over.