Why become a member? ×

Best strings for a horrible, sweaty man like me?

biggriffer

Happy New Year all!

I'm a bassist who sheds an incredible, waterfall like amount of sweat during shows. Currently on Ernie Ball strings but considering a switch to another brand if anyone else of a similar disposition to myself has had better experiences with anything else? I do wipe my strings down after each show. I do like my strings to sound as bright as possible for as long as possible, I'm getting about 4/5 shows worth of brightness before having to change again, so would like something that lasts a touch longer than that. Hey, it's an impossible dream, but you gotta ask these questions.

Cheers!
Ben.

Although I use flatwounds now, I also sweat a heck of a lot when playing. I found my strings used to go rusty very quickly. After trying several brands, I found that he D'addario Nickel round wounds to be the best for me. I now use D'addario Chromes flatound or Tapewound strings and find I can get about a year out of a set (although I don't gig that often I do rehearse twice a week)

Another vote for Elixir strings here. They are expensive but if wiped down they last me 4 times longer than Ernie Balls which I loved. Even if I don't take care of them they last me 6 months and longer, and my sweat is lethal! I killed a set of Daddario nickels after 2 gigs in one week in the summer. Even boiling them didn't resurrect them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just killed my set of Daddario Nickels in two gigs - they sound like old dead flat wounds now. Pretty gutted really.

I've ordered some Rotosounds which i've had better luck with before now. Maybe Elixirs are the way forward tho - how are they with plectrums tho? I've heard somewhere they start to peel if you cane them hard.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1456414582' post='2988802']
I just killed my set of Daddario Nickels in two gigs - they sound like old dead flat wounds now. Pretty gutted really.

I've ordered some Rotosounds which i've had better luck with before now. Maybe Elixirs are the way forward tho - how are they with plectrums tho? I've heard somewhere they start to peel if you cane them hard.
[/quote]

I mostly use a pick when gigging and not had any breakdown of the coating on the Elixirs. One of the sets has probably done a dozen or so gigs now and still no sign of wear.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1456422692' post='2988918']

I mostly use a pick when gigging and not had any breakdown of the coating on the Elixirs. One of the sets has probably done a dozen or so gigs now and still no sign of wear.
[/quote]

Cheers Garymac - might be worth me trying them then.