Why become a member? ×

Aria ZZB Deluxe wiring ?

fleabag

Are there any owners who know the wiring circuit for the Aria Pro ZZB deluxe ?

Its the 2 pup MBlll model. I bought the pair of MBll's and the circuit - blend switch, vol, tone - and although the pots and jack socket are all still wired together, the pups are not

The previous owner had snipped off the pup wires, leaving stubs where they used to be, so simply re-wired them as they appeared to be. But i got nothing.

The switch is a strange one. Its not 6 pole like normal blend switches, but 3 pole. And the earths appear to be on the side of the body of the switch

Some advice and/or photos or diagram would be really helpful

ta !

Edited by fleabag

Cheers flatty Eric. Yeah i remember Pete bloodaxe, we've met !

I assume that many Aria pros of the 80's with twin MBlll pups would be similar, but yes, if Pete doesnt get back to us here, i will tap you for a photo

:)

Edited by fleabag

I think i may be a loser here, since Pete the Axe has not posted since October !

The Arai SB's seem to be a bit different, so it appears in my searches on the net.

Would you take a detailed pic of your circuit, mr Flat ?

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1452034008' post='2945849']
I think i may be a loser here, since Pete the Axe has not posted since October !

The Arai SB's seem to be a bit different, so it appears in my searches on the net.

Would you take a detailed pic of your circuit, mr Flat ?
[/quote]

Ok. No worries.

You may have to sit tight for a while, not entirely sure where it is!
I'll go a-hunting!! :D

Cheers. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The circuit should be fairly easy to sort out as it's a simple 2 pup circuit with a selector switch. What's hard to see from the picture is what's going on with the switch terminals.

The Tony Franklin bass has a similar set up.

It seems to me you simply need a multi meter and get to understand how the switch works. I'd be happy to take a look. But your profile is incomplete so nobody knows where you are.

Edited by Grangur

I'm miles away from you in Oxfordshire, so you cant really take a look

Not sure what you mean by whats going on with the switch terminals.

The switch has 3 tags on the bottom ( the 2 outside tags have the pup hots attached ) the middle tag runs a blue wire to the left tag of the vol pot.

The side of the switch is where the pup grounds are attached

But i've labelled all that anyway in the photo

The switch is one of these

I even bought the above switch new from Allparts to replace the old one just in case it was duff. But this did nothing. I then changed the Vol pot just in case that was duff, but again, silence. I found an alternative wiring diagram via Duncan diagrams and tried that, but still nothing

Next try will be to dump the new switch, and just wire the thing up with Vol Vol Tone and see if that cures it

Edited by fleabag

Ok, thanks for the information. I'm reading this on a phone. So you helped me out a lot with that.

The steps I would take are:

1 Individually connect each pup to a jack socket in turn and check they both work. Ideally not the jack in this bass. I like to keep a spare jack socket for this purpose.

2 Connect a pup straight the volume to check that works.

3 If 2 doesn't work, try connecting a different jack to the output of the pot.

And, yes I do travel to Oxford for work, but not this week.

I checked the output of both pups before putting them in the body, and the vol pot has been changed for known working pot, and so that leaves option 3 which is what i'll try next.

After that, i'm dumping the switch and going V V T :)

What you have is a 3-way Economy Toggle switch. According to Stewmac the wiring is not as you have it. This is their diagram.

So, it would seem the connection you have to taken as earth is, in fact the output! I'd have done the same as you.
This could make all the difference if the centre terminal that you've taken as the output is, in fact, connected to the case of the switch.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1453628100' post='2961078']
I checked the output of both pups before putting them in the body, and the vol pot has been changed for known working pot, and so that leaves option 3 which is what i'll try next.

After that, i'm dumping the switch and going V V T :)
[/quote]

I have now found it!
I can get pics to you tomorrow.

Having said that. . . . . if yours is a "Project Bass" I would go V V T.

On mine, as with any two pick-up/one Vol set up, it's etiher Bridge - biting but thinner sound
or Neck - big thud and not much bite or both together.

When both together, the neck slightly overpowers the bridge - with a V V T, you can dial in
any tone you like.

Will send you a pic anyway.

This is mine.
[attachment=210755:IMGP6444.JPG]

Plenty of spare cable!!

Eased it out of the way - these are the best shots - I think I could
make out where everything goes.

[attachment=210756:IMGP6447.JPG]

[attachment=210757:IMGP6448.JPG]

[attachment=210758:IMGP6449.JPG]

See how you get on.

Thanks Eric, on the strength of your photos, i believe i had the same wiring, and still got silence

Changed switch for new one, changed pots, even swapped switch wires over ( reversed ) and still zip

I'm ditching the switch and going v v t. Its all i can do

Cheers for hunting down your long lost ZZ

Done the VVT and the bass sounds carp. Not the pickups, they sound fine, but its my fretless Peavey, and it just doesnt sound like a fretless. Then again, it was a fretted but then defretted, then had a tiger maple board fitted and i have the feeling defretted bases never match up to the sound of a fretless built from scratch for purpose

An utter waste of time and effort !

I should just go buy a proper fretless i think... and hurl this thing at the binman

Edited by fleabag