Why become a member? ×

New Bergantino HDN cabs

IanA

Looks like Jim has released another range of cabs

http://bergantino.com/product-category/bass-guitar-speakers/hdn-series/

From the description on his website they will sound closer to the HD series than the CN that they must be replacing... Interesting

I just received an email about this too.

Interested to see how the HDN 112 compares to the ?now defunct CN112. Perhaps someone will give their take of a sonic impression soon. I cannot find any more mention of CN series on the website either,

A new B | Amp + an HDN212...I wonder how much that would cost....!!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451938961' post='2944858']
Hmmm first line I read seems to be a concession that suggests the NEO cab sacrificed tone. ??
[/quote]
Yeah I think you are right it does seem to read that way, I am almost tempted to agree as well.
The ceramic loaded Bergs that I have used have the edge over the neo's for punch and depth. If I could manage it then I would still be using either my old hs410 or hd212... age is not on my side unfortunately

I've been happy with the CN112 tone, but I really did like the IP112ER I had too...tons of low end....the old HD ceramic driver mated to a fantastic tweeter and the software brains that are now in the the new B | Amp.

I disliked the tone of HD112 on its own. I assume the IP112ER software did fancy stuff to the tone, 'cause it sounded great.

Hmm...interesting...

Simply FYI. An email response from Bergantino to an email I sent - a couple of lines --

-- ('Just got your email about the new HDN112. It looks interesting. I currently own 2 x CN112 cabinets. Are the new HDN cabinets a significant upgrade over the CN112s? How do they compare sonically?):
--

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]'Hi,[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]We have extended the low end of the HDN speakers to nudge them closer to the sound of the HD series speaker. They do have a little more bloom on the bottom, but I wouldn’t say that they are a significant upgrade. We had a lot of customers caught between the HD ceramics (for the low-end) and the CN (for the weight). So, we tried to combine the best of both worlds. The CN112 is a great speaker, no doubt. If the low end is the most important thing about your sound they might warrant changing out. If you have a local dealer taking a listen would be recommended.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thanks!

[color=#000000]John

-------------------------
John Files
VP Sales & Marketing
Bergantino Audio Systems
512-873-8043
[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
[url="http://www.bergantino.com/"]www.bergantino.com[/url]

Bergantino Audio Sales
1 Main Street, Building 12
Whitinsville, MA 01588'[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by funkle

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1451986014' post='2945159']
Looks like Mark has the CN cabs on special offer at Bass Direct, around £100 saving per cab!
[/quote]

Just seen that! I need to be jumping on this, I'm opening a credit card on Friday and will buy it straight away. Want to start building a credit score.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1452006890' post='2945423']
I've checked the 1x12" specs. Humm... $800 + VAT + Import Taxes for a 15kg cab that "only" puts out 350W... i think we can find cheaper/lighter from EU builders without compromising tone.
[/quote]

From the email that I received from Mark Stickley read the price should be similar to the CN series

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1452008061' post='2945439']
From the email that I received from Mark Stickley read the price should be similar to the CN series
[/quote]

Bergantino say that the HDN is more expensive than the HD, and at the moment Mark's doing the CN cheaper than the HD (it was £50 more expensive, now it's £50 cheaper). So it might be the same price as the pre-discount CN series.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1452088456' post='2946246']

Bergantino say that the HDN is more expensive than the HD, and at the moment Mark's doing the CN cheaper than the HD (it was £50 more expensive, now it's £50 cheaper). So it might be the same price as the pre-discount CN series.
[/quote]
that is exactly what Mark meant...he was referring to full retail price not sale price

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1452006890' post='2945423']
I've checked the 1x12" specs. Humm... $800 + VAT + Import Taxes for a 15kg cab that "only" puts out 350W...
[/quote]
It doesn't "put out" 350W, it is rated to run at 350W.

The actual SPL output will be hugely dependent on the speaker's efficiency, in conjunction with the power used to drive it.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452280930' post='2948541']
Yep, but the CN has been superceded within about 2 years..?
[/quote]
I think Jim Bergantino was responding to a genuine market demand (lightness of the CN's combined with the sonic depth of the HD's).
I haven't heard the cabs, so I can't comment on how well he has succeeded.
In general, technology progresses - if businesses don't progress as well, they might find themselves out of a client base.

[quote name='lo-freq' timestamp='1452287731' post='2948635']
I think Jim Bergantino was responding to a genuine market demand (lightness of the CN's combined with the sonic depth of the HD's).
I haven't heard the cabs, so I can't comment on how well he has succeeded.
In general, technology progresses - if businesses don't progress as well, they might find themselves out of a client base.
[/quote]

He probably is... but it says something about wanting to make the NEO sound more like a ceramic.
Many have tried and it doesn't work..IMO.

I've always had problems with the 'NEO' sound but others don't hear it..or like what they've got.

My thinking is that this is quite an 'ackowledgent' from one of the premier cab makers out there
which is what I suggested at the top of the thread.

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
So I just ordered a CN 212 [/font][/color]
I was talking to Mark at Bass Direct about the CN v HDN 212, and he said there would be a longer wait on the HDN than first though, and they would cost more than first thought as the £ has crashed against the $. The first time I tried the CN 212 was alongside a Vanderkley 212MNT - while it was a really nice cabinet, the low end was a little much. So I think the CN is probably better suited to me than the HDN cabs.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452957581' post='2955070']
So I just ordered a CN 212 [/font][/color]
I was talking to Mark at Bass Direct about the CN v HDN 212, and he said there would be a longer wait on the HDN than first though, and they would cost more than first thought as the £ has crashed against the $. The first time I tried the CN 212 was alongside a Vanderkley 212MNT - while it was a really nice cabinet, the low end was a little much. So I think the CN is probably better suited to me than the HDN cabs.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
Congrats. I have been using the CN212 for a while now and it never fails to impress. Enjoy