Why become a member? ×

Rotosound short scale flatwounds

markdavid

Hi All

Am considering a set of these, I have avoided the long scale set for a while due to the high tension but the gauges on these are lighter (90-75-50-40) , was just wondering if anyone has used the short scale set and if so how is the tension on these? how does the tension compare to other flatwounds? also how is the tone? Roto flats are on some of my favourite albums (Pink floyd, Thin lizzy) so would like to give these a try if the tension is not too high, for reference my currennt string are labella 760fl short scale flats

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1451993832' post='2945248']
Hi All

Am considering a set of these, I have avoided the long scale set for a while due to the high tension but the gauges on these are lighter (90-75-50-40) , was just wondering if anyone has used the short scale set and if so how is the tension on these? how does the tension compare to other flatwounds? also how is the tone? Roto flats are on some of my favourite albums (Pink floyd, Thin lizzy) so would like to give these a try if the tension is not too high, for reference my currennt string are labella 760fl short scale flats
[/quote]

Hi!

They are pretty low tension I would say, I've used them a lot (mainly due to them being the only short-scale flats my local shop stocks) and have them on my Chowny CHB-1. I'm not personally a huge fan of Rotosound's short scale strings, although I like their long scale ones. The reason is that they produce their short-scale strings in thin gauges (40-90) but try to pull the tension up a little by using huge central core wires. This leaves them sounding very overtone-y (not in a good way). They also rise in pitch very easily if you play them even slightly too hard. I have to tune my e-string pretty flat to compensate for it!

Having said all that, some people like the 'dirty' or 'earthy' quality of them.

Here's a video of the Chowny with Rotosounds on - https://youtu.be/vjlip2IpbcI

[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1451999653' post='2945322']
Hi!

They are pretty low tension I would say, I've used them a lot (mainly due to them being the only short-scale flats my local shop stocks) and have them on my Chowny CHB-1. I'm not personally a huge fan of Rotosound's short scale strings, although I like their long scale ones. The reason is that they produce their short-scale strings in thin gauges (40-90) but try to pull the tension up a little by using huge central core wires. This leaves them sounding very overtone-y (not in a good way). They also rise in pitch very easily if you play them even slightly too hard. I have to tune my e-string pretty flat to compensate for it!

Having said all that, some people like the 'dirty' or 'earthy' quality of them.

Here's a video of the Chowny with Rotosounds on - [url="https://youtu.be/vjlip2IpbcI"]https://youtu.be/vjlip2IpbcI[/url]
[/quote] Thanks, in that case I may try a long scale 40-100 set instead and cut them down, hopefully they will not be too high tension, the long scale version is notorious for high tension but hopefully the short scale should combat this a little.
The other option would be to buy the heavy gauge set, discard the e and order a separate .40 gauge flat

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1452000752' post='2945341']
Thanks, in that case I may try a long scale 40-100 set instead and cut them down, hopefully they will not be too high tension, the long scale version is notorious for high tension but hopefully the short scale should combat this a little.
The other option would be to buy the heavy gauge set, discard the e and order a separate .40 gauge flat
[/quote]

You could do that (I've done it many times), but, there is a risk of damaging the string as the wound part ends up going round the tuning post. :-( No guarantees, but I've not had any issues doing it yet. :-)