Why become a member? ×

DIY learning

Skol303

Ok. So my goal this year is to actually spend time [i]learning[/i] how to play bass - rather than just noodling around for the sake of home recording and self-amusement.

Some caveats:[list]
[*]I don’t read music, so this is one of my goals (at least to be able to read and ideally write notation rather than tabs).
[*]I don’t have time to hire a tutor. I have a very busy work/family life and it would be a headache trying to commit to regular lessons.
[*]I don't play in a band (again, no time to commit to anything at present).
[/list]

So. I’ve acquired some ‘how to’ books over Christmas, which I intend to use as a basis for more structured learning. I have a book on slap bass (yeah, don’t judge me!); another on funk (lots of fast finger style stuff); and a third on walking basslines. All quite different approaches, which I’m hoping will help to ‘round off’ my skills. Each book contains a bunch of exercises, which I’ll be using to both practice playing and note reading.

The idea is to work through these and see where it leads me.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Or am I missing some fundamental step on the path to enlightenment?

Thoughts and shared experiences very welcome.

Cheers :)

It does to me, I would however try and get someone who can help if you get stuck. I've met people who've misunderstood something, without realising it. They've then had to retrace their steps.

As and when Skype lessons maybe ?

I'm with ambient on this. What you outline is reasonable enough, but a guide of some sort is really helpful, and will make your learning process much faster. I think you should try and find a teacher with whom you can do irregular lessons. I do mine on-line with Joe Hubbard. Face to face is better if you can get it though.

I speak as someone who was self taught for many years, then decided to do it properly with lessons, then went to music school for a couple of years, then back to being self taught/transcribing with intermittent online lessons. School and proper teaching really did make a big difference.

Good luck

Pete

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1452000526' post='2945333']
Ok. So my goal this year is to actually spend time [i]learning[/i] how to play bass - rather than just noodling around for the sake of home recording and self-amusement.

Some caveats:[list]
[*]I don’t read music, so this is one of my goals (at least to be able to read and ideally write notation rather than tabs).
[*]I don’t have time to hire a tutor. I have a very busy work/family life and it would be a headache trying to commit to regular lessons.
[*]I don't play in a band (again, no time to commit to anything at present).
[/list]
So. I’ve acquired some ‘how to’ books over Christmas, which I intend to use as a basis for more structured learning. I have a book on slap bass (yeah, don’t judge me!); another on funk (lots of fast finger style stuff); and a third on walking basslines. All quite different approaches, which I’m hoping will help to ‘round off’ my skills. Each book contains a bunch of exercises, which I’ll be using to both practice playing and note reading.

The idea is to work through these and see where it leads me.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Or am I missing some fundamental step on the path to enlightenment?

Thoughts and shared experiences very welcome.

Cheers :)
[/quote]

Only general advice I can give is to balance learning specific styles ,lines etc with learning stuff that builds self sufficiency e.g. scales arpeggios theory etc.

I'd also include some ear training of some sort, that covers a lot of bases from formal classical type drills to just putting on a song and working it out. Even if you have no intention of playing other peoples songs in anger, working out ("transcribing") by ear is some of the best practice you can do, doesn't matter if you forget them after a day, its the working out bit thats beneficial.

Not really sure where you're at with your current level, but first thing I'd recommend is joining Scott Devine's SBL Academy - tons of stuff on there including courses you can take and work through at your own pace. Well worth the money (imo).

If that's not for you, next thing would be to work on rhythm, chord tones (arpeggios), scales, and transcribing bass lines from music that floats your boat. Keep a daily practice log of what you're working on every day you pick your bass up, even if it's only for 30 mins a day.

If you're looking to get a book that covers the basics to intermediate, then give this book a try: http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy-Use/dp/0793563836/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235603798&sr=1-1 Probably the best (imo) starter bass book on the market - will get you reading from scratch as there's not a huge amount of tab in it.

Getting a good teacher is also a great idea, especially if you can get one that teaches bass only - have never been a huge fan of guitar teachers who teach bass as a sideline.

Second here recommending the Scotts Bass Lessons Accademy. They do a 14 day money-back trial. I did that and stayed. It's about £100 for a year - about the same cost as 4-5 1hour lessons.

I recon it's good value even if you only stay a year. (or 14 days)

I think learning from books is a good way to go, especially if you're "time poor". If I were you, I'd start with the walking basslines book first - the notation is easier to read as it'll be mainly quarter notes plus you can learn an awful lot about moving between chords even if you don't ultimately want to play much walking bass.

I would also recommend Scott's bass lessons. It's a great resource to dip into when you have time.

However, if time is an issue id recommend a monthly lesson with a good teacher if weekly is not doable. Nothing makes me find time to practice more than the thought of turning up having not done my homework. Plus being tight I hate the idea of paying and then not making the most of their expertise. Personally I find it too easy to procrastinate when working from books...

It is about knowing what you can get to. I find that structured lesson programmes like Scott's stuff don't work for me because they require your practice space to have internet access and mine does not so I work in a different way. My practicing involves lots of reading of Bach Cello Suites, transcribed solos etc. I am working on bowing at the moment and can see improvements just from tiny incremetal investment. The secret of self development is, for me, in recognising that the deepest changes come slowly and over time. Epiphanies are great when they happen and there are quick wins to be gained but, for me, there is nothing like concerted practice over time to generate genuine improvements in knowledge and technique. Remember the 10,000 hours!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1452849144' post='2953991']...there is nothing like concerted practice over time to generate genuine improvements in knowledge and technique. Remember the 10,000 hours!
[/quote]

All true, but getting the hours in, practising the 'wrong' way or with unrecognised faults can (well, most certainly is...) rather counter-productive. It's reasonable to have a skilled third party oversee one's methods and technique, at least periodically, in order to keep on the 'right' track, I'd suggest. Totally self-learning can be a very long, trial- and-(lots of...)error in many (most..?) cases.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1452884206' post='2954498']
Agreed 100% but I have come to realise that being better does not mean playing better music or getting more gigs so agonising over minutiae is something I no longer do.
[/quote]

Wisdom indeed, and never better expressed than by your namesake ...

[i]Roads go ever ever on,[/i]
[i]Over rock and under tree,[/i]
[i]By caves where never sun has shone,[/i]
[i]By streams that never find the sea;[/i]
[i]Over snow by winter sown,[/i]
[i]And through the merry flowers of June,[/i]
[i]Over grass and over stone,[/i]
[i]And under mountains in the moon.[/i]

[i]Roads go ever ever on[/i]
[i]Under cloud and under star,[/i]
[i]Yet feet that wandering have gone[/i]
[i]Turn at last to home afar.[/i]