Why become a member? ×

Respect the rumble

highwayman

After a long time thinking about it, I took the plunge yesterday and had my first bass lesson; I even came away having learned the basic bass riff to Love Like Blood! (Paul Raven RIP).

I've dabbled with guitar in the past and at one time could play passable rhythm along to Sharp Dressed Man or Fool For Your Loving, but only after my tutor had broken the songs down for me.

Perhaps, because I'd always been drawn to the sound of the guitar, I became intimidated by the instrument and would avoid practicing; with the bass I don't feel that "fear" and find myself listening to music outside of the genres I'm traditionally into, such as soul and 70's disco. It's early days of course but I feel excited about doing something new (to me) on the bass that I didn't feel with the guitar.

Among his many fine basses, my tutor has a Sandberg Jazz style bass which has the most exquisite feeling neck - time to go shopping...

Edited by highwayman