Why become a member? ×

Brand new to this

Royston

Hi everybody,

Just a little introduction to myself, my name is Royston and i live in somerset and am the ripe old age of 53, well i had my bass for about a year now, starter kit-Benson bass with small practice amp, Ihave now replaced the amp with a Rowland 30 cube, so thats my gear. So in the year didnt learn much, picked it up put it down and let dust settle on it but this year I said i will learn to play, so i signed up to jamplay which got good feedback and at the moment i am happy with..So to sum it up,never played,learning from monday 4th (1 hour a day ) and so looking forward to the journey, Oh and I am left handed, So any comments,help,advice, good or bad will be very helpful.......

Thanks

Royston

Welcome! You'll find plenty of other ripe old bass players here.... One hour a day is a great plan, and an even better one if it's spent learning rather than talking rubbish in Off Topic and drooling over gear in the Marketplace like the rest of us! :rolleyes:

I was the same age as you when I first started learning, exactly five years ago. I hope you get us much joy from it as I did
I went for lessons with a wonderful teacher, and practiced religiously an hour a day for about the first two years. I must admit I slipped a bit after that, but I'll do at least an hour 4 or 5 times a week now
I've been in two bands, and although I'm not in one now, I do a lot of jamming, open mics, depping and guest spots. All strictly amateur.
I urge you to stick with it. It's amazing fun. And fantastic to be able to prove to yourself that you can learn something new at our age.