Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-Max

doctorbass

I use a Peavey T-Max in a 210 combo. For bigger gigs to get the full 500w i add aPeavey 410TVX cab. Recently been tempted by an Ampeg SVT3 and smaller? ampeg classic cabs for portability. Any T-max users, past or present got any thoughts? Big mistake? Take the pain for that T-Max tone or change............

I own a T-Max and an Ampeg SVT 410E. The cab is only 8 ohms and I find myself struggling for headroom at loud gigs (2 guitarists and a loud drummer). Take this as you will. I don't know what you mean by the 'portable' ampegs because i find the 410 to be heavy.

If i was you I would look at new cabs first (maybe one 4ohm cab) so you run the T-Max at 4 ohms in a smaller package. The main thing is to try amps and cabs with your bass and see how they sound. Never played an SVT pro3 but i believe it has a valve preamp (like the t-max) and a 7 band EQ (like the t-max).

Good luck and any more info just give me a shout

The T-Max combo is just a sleeved cab with a T-Max head so it can be taken out and put into a rack case. Just doing that will lighten the load, Peavey gear is not light!

I used a T-Max with 2 Peavey 2x10's (not sure which ones as they keep fiddling with the model names, TX, TVX?). Then I run it into EBS Neo cabs without problems until gas got the better of me and I got an HD350.

Very few amps have the same control over the preamp valve as the Peavey with its two gains, so if that is part of your sound it will be difficult to replace.

[quote name='doctorbass' post='29764' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:12 PM']bass ferret - how many watts and what ohms are the 210s - do they handle it?[/quote]

The Peavey 210TXs are 4 Ohms and 350W, so you'd get nearer to 500W out of the T-Max. Also, if you stacked the 2 x 10s side on to give you a vertical stack of 10s you'd have no problems hearing yourself.

Adding the 410TX would give you around 6.3 Ohms in total, so less than the 350W at Ohms that the Peavey can put out.

inally, if you really did hunger for more power, stickign the t-Max in a rack and adding another power amp would provide more volume and the same tone.

[quote name='doctorbass' post='30421' date='Jul 11 2007, 08:17 PM']Are the 210s 175w or 350w[/quote]

It doesn't really matter - cab power handling ratings are pretty irrelevant. Bass is so dynamic you'll rarely reach the thermal limit of a speaker without hearing the distortion of exceeding the mechanical limits of the speaker - and the only limit that is quoted is the thermal limit (when voice coil melts) and there is no link between that and the mechanical limit (when speaker moves too far).

Alex