Why become a member? ×

Prefect recording amp, not for gigging, pure warm sound!!

zawinul

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1452164311' post='2947095']
REDDI

I'm serious...
[/quote]

I love the look and idea of those things, but I keep wondering if they're not the Apple of amplification ... really, really cool-looking design being used to justify ludicrous prices.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452165239' post='2947113']
I love the look and idea of those things, but I keep wondering if they're not the Apple of amplification ... really, really cool-looking design being used to justify ludicrous prices.
[/quote]

they do look really, really cool, but they sound really, really good. I had the pleasure of recording through one a few years ago and it was AMAZING!
No snake oil in these bad boys.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1452165400' post='2947118']
they do look really, really cool, but they sound really, really good. I had the pleasure of recording through one a few years ago and it was AMAZING!
No snake oil in these bad boys.
[/quote]

+1!

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1452154602' post='2946967']
Ampeg B100R. quite cheap and sounds very B15 like apparently

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b100r/"]http://www.ampeg.com...bluebass/b100r/[/url]
[/quote]

+1
I've got two of these and LOVE them. They can sound big and throaty, or old school motown at lower volumes and just about everything in between. No hum or noise either, so good for recording with a mic. In the absence of a ton of cash/availability of an original B15 in good condition, I would suggest trying one. They come up now and then for reasonable prices.

On a side note, I would love to get my hands on a B15R (Blue Diamond series, same as the B100R and 200R) from the late 90's/early 2000's to compare to the B100R as I have read on a few sites that it is a bit more similar to the V4b than the original B15N and that the B100R is an all-round better amp... hmmm...

Would have suggested the Micro VR but the fan can 'whir' a bit at times.

Not sure about the new Ampeg 20 and 50 watt valve amps yet as haven't got to try one but they certainly look like a good recording option, though price would put me off a wee bit

If it's solely for recording, I don't see the point of a separate rig when it's going to get some EQ, compression & other treatment.
There are some excellent VST amp simulators which cost a fraction of the rig that they emulate & they do more than just the one set up.
I'm seriously considering using VSTs on a macbook for playing live. There's pro gigging musicians that already do this (Pino uses an iPad).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1452262768' post='2948213']
I'm seriously considering using VSTs on a macbook for playing live. There's pro gigging musicians that already do this (Pino uses an iPad).
[/quote]

Yep, but I bet they're using a B-15 or similar to record ;)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1452267410' post='2948297']
Yep, but I bet they're using a B-15 or similar to record ;)
[/quote]
& they probably have the money to use whatever they fancy. :)
But how much of that B-15 sound is gonna stay unprocessed?
On a budget, you can get a decent set of monitors and a good Amp sim & have change left over from what a B-15 (or just about any decent amp/combo) would cost.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1452276470' post='2948474']
& they probably have the money to use whatever they fancy.
But how much of that B-15 sound is gonna stay unprocessed?
On a budget, you can get a decent set of monitors and a good Amp sim & have change left over from what a B-15 (or just about any decent amp/combo) would cost.
[/quote]

Totally agree, I was only pulling your chain :)

I've no doubt that my B15 is in many respects an expensive placebo, but it's one I'm very happy to live with. I love the ritual of taking the cover off, unclipping the lid and flipping it open, plugging it in and checking everything's where it should be, watching the tubes light up and waiting for it to warm. To me it's the same as playing an old LP compared to hitting an icon on your iPhone screen; there's genuine pleasure to be found in the ritual, irrespective of what the objective truth might be. That subjective pleasure adds to the experience, and music, both playing and listening, is all about the experience :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1452278424' post='2948514']
Totally agree, I was only pulling your chain :)

I've no doubt that my B15 is in many respects an expensive placebo, but it's one I'm very happy to live with. I love the ritual of taking the cover off, unclipping the lid and flipping it open, plugging it in and checking everything's where it should be, watching the tubes light up and waiting for it to warm. To me it's the same as playing an old LP compared to hitting an icon on your iPhone screen; there's genuine pleasure to be found in the ritual, irrespective of what the objective truth might be. That subjective pleasure adds to the experience, and music, both playing and listening, is all about the experience :)
[/quote]
I'm sure you use it for more than just recording. :)

I fully get what you mean about playing an old LP. I've been harking on to the Mrs that we need to get a turntable, amp & speakers to replace the iPad & docking station. We'll appreciate the music a lot more.
I'd love something like a B-15, but I couldn't justify it as I play through my mac & into headphones at home & the band I'm in are lucky to have a jam once a month. I sold my MB combo because it wasn't getting used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1452104263' post='2946482']
If 5 watts (that's real watts) is going to do it...Jeff had a few of these at 359.00
....got to be worth a thought............

:)

[/quote]

So is that good for bass, I assume it's a guitar head by design?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1452262768' post='2948213']
If it's solely for recording, I don't see the point of a separate rig when it's going to get some EQ, compression & other treatment.
[/quote]
Think about the Avalon U5 DI.

[url="http://www.avalondesign.com/instrudi.html"]http://www.avalondes...m/instrudi.html[/url]

Loads of gushy warmth with smooth, audiophile clarity. Too good to use live.