Why become a member? ×

Moollon

edpirie

Hi there

Does anyone know how one would go about checking out a Moollon P-Bass in the UK? The only UK supplier listed on their website is Sounds Great in Cheshire, but they only seem to do the pedals. I've seen a few references to them here including Paul Turner - just wondering how people have come across them - abroad or have they just ordered blind?

Thanks!

For anyone else interested - reply from Moollon below (very quick to get back to me):

Thank you so much for your inquiry regarding the Moollon P-Classic IV.

All Moollon P-Classic basses are built to order by Moollon president Young Joon "YJ" Park and shipped directly from our shop here in Seoul, and we'd be more than happy to do the same for you in the UK as well. Please note that due to NAMM Show [i]YJ will not be able to begin work on any new orders until mid-to-late February[/i], but the good news is that if you choose a color from a P-Classic body in stock, then full assembly, setup, and preparations for packing will be completed in under 4 weeks, so we can expect a delivery by sometime in March 2016. As for availability, here's what we presently have to choose from:

• P-Classic IV Standard Alder finishes [b]USD$1990[/b]: Desert Sand, Vintage White, Dakota Red, Fiesta Red, Daphne Blue, Sonic Blue (Same as Tim Lefebvre's No.1 P-Classic, lacquer now almost faded to "Light Surf Green")

• P-Classic IV Metallic Alder finishes [b]USD$2090[/b]: Green Metallic, Candy Apple Red, Copper Gold

• P-Classic IV Sparkle Alder finishes [b]USD$2190[/b]: Gold Sparkle, Silver Sparkle

Also...

- Above prices include (1) choice of a Gator GC-Bass or Reunion Blues RBX case, and (2) free shipping to your door.
- Payment can be made either by PayPal or by bank wire transfer (your choice).
- Shipping to the UK via EMS requires about 6 to 8 days, and we'll provide you with tracking information when the bass leaves the shop.
- If you have a favorite vintage Fender finish you'd like to see, [i]YJ could probably have it done in about 3 months[/i]

PS: Please feel free to look over the P-Classic IV's specifications for your own reference...

• 42.5mm nut width (38mm J-neck width also available), with a 1st fret neck thickness of about 20mm to 21mm, and 24mm at the 12th fret.
• Standard 34" scale, 7.25" fretboard radius, Makassar Ebony on one-piece quartersawn maple neck, although one-piece maple board/neck is also available at no extra cost.
• 2-piece select alder body (ash available in 2TS and Blonde Transparent with special order, +$100)
• 20 very thin layers of nitrocellulose lacquer
• Custom designed, tested, and built Pre-CBS-spec (higher zinc content than current MIA Fender) tuners
• Vintage-spec steel bridge plate and threaded saddles, 100% in-house design and fabrication by YJ himself
• Pickup based on Young Joon's 1959 and 1960 Fender Precision Basses, rated at approx. 10.5k ohms
• Average weight: 4.0kg

Edited by edpirie

I'm tempted, as some respected players rate them highly, but then there has been the odd report on TB of basses arriving in poor condition needing fretwork etc. The toughest part is not being able to try one and get a feel for the neck. I suspect many who have bought them have been to NAMM where he seems to go each year. Now there's a thought...

Edited by edpirie

In their message copied above, All in, the standard P should then be c. £1,400 delivered to the UK.

I'm tempted, as some respected players rate them highly, but then there has been the odd report on TB of basses arriving in poor condition needing fretwork etc. The toughest part is not being able to try one and get a feel for the neck. I suspect many who have bought them have been to NAMM where he seems to go each year. Now there's a thought...

They look fantastic...

I have permanent GAS for a P with flats. I'd like to get one from a UK builder really, but there don't seem to be any around doing fender shapes... (Limelight only do relic finishes).

Going a bit further afield, I've been tempted by Maruszczyk as they seem to represent astonishing value for a custom build, but they don't seem to offer a straight P. Edited by Sibob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452584468' post='2951280']
Going a bit further afield, I've been tempted by Maruszczyk as they seem to represent astonishing value for a custom build, but they don't seem to offer a straight P.
[/quote]

I think Adrian will build you whatever you want!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452588385' post='2951312']
ah fair enough :) I was just looking through the models on their website the other day and couldn't see a standard P.
[/quote]

http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/4-string

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1452589276' post='2951318']
[url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/4-string"]http://www.public-pe...k/jake/4-string[/url]
[/quote]

That's more like it :) all the ones I could find yesterday had a massive great humbucker in the bridge position....

I'd have to order a custom one though because that has a tort pickguard and tort makes me feel sick... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452589401' post='2951320']
That's more like it :) all the ones I could find yesterday had a massive great humbucker in the bridge position....

I'd have to order a custom one though because that has a tort pickguard and tort makes me feel sick... :mellow:
[/quote]

Scroll down that page, there's a few to choose from. If memory serves I think Adrian can change out pickguards too!

I had planned on sneaking a Maruszczyk into the collection before the end of the year, but then Beedster waved a YOB Yamaha about the place and now it's sneaking in instead!!!

EDIT: One of these with 33" scale was the plan: http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/4-string/1119-jake-4p-human-nature-classic140230

Edited by Bigwan

I ordered my Moollon J-Classic 5 string (sonic blue, alder body) around September and received it early December. There was a slight delay as they only had ash sonic blue bodies in stock, plus the I wanted a neck with their old 47mm nut width, which has recently changed to 45mm.

Ordering 'blind' always has its risks, but I wasn't disappointed. What an inspiring instrument!! The import duties set me back around £110, which I was happy to pay given that Moollon included a nice gig bag and shipping.

Photo in my 'For Bass Players - The Gear Album' on Facebook, which is set to public.

[quote name='lawriemacmillan' timestamp='1452723941' post='2952970']
Here's a link. Sorry, I know this isn't a P Bass, but check it out if you like Moollon's sonic blue finish: [url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153060853871353&set=a.10150344501571353.337918.715026352&type=3&theater"]https://www.facebook...&type=3[/url]
[/quote]

Lovely :)

I am very tempted by the P bass I posted earlier in this thread.... very, very tempted :blink:

[color="#000000"]Hmm, interesting. I’m seriously considering the same thing (P bass classic in sonic blue with ebony board), and also in Central London. Let’s keep in touch – if one of us takes the plunge the other could try it out, and if the plunger doesn’t like it then the ditherer might take it off his hands.[/color]

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1452770079' post='2953222']
[color=#000000]Hmm, interesting. I’m seriously considering the same thing (P bass classic in sonic blue with ebony board), and also in Central London. Let’s keep in touch – if one of us takes the plunge the other could try it out, and if the plunger doesn’t like it then the ditherer might take it off his hands.[/color]
[/quote]

Yes I think if my Roscoe sells, it'll be this or a new cab I've been thinking about...

I'd be going for this exact one :)

This is interesting as I'm in the market for a (lefty) precision. It looks as though some of the options based on this thread, assuming they are all available as leftys are:
Maruszczyk c£650
Fender Us Standard c £1200
Moollon c£1400

My question is whether there's a material improvement in quality or sound that would justify paying more than for the Maruszczyk? What does the jury think?

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1452498142' post='2950383']
For anyone else interested - reply from Moollon below (very quick to get back to me):
Thank you so much for your inquiry regarding the Moollon P-Classic IV

[i](...)[/i]
[/quote]

The Molloon's guy sent you a PRIVATE email. I don't think it is wise to post it here, a PUBLIC forum.
Customers services will know it and will watch at Moolon shipping closely.
We will all lose :(
Could you all edit your post ? :)