Why become a member? ×

What lead to buy

I have a bit of post Christmas cash that the wife doesn't know about hidden away which I intend to splash out on some new guitar leads, the ones I currently have I got given to me a few years ago and arnt that great. It gotta be done stealthily as I've spent rather too much over the last 12 months on bass gear so on line purchases are out! My local store has got some fishman which are pretty darn expensive, larva retro coil which look pretty good, also some George L solder-less cables, also some D'Addario kill switch...any thoughts, I'm leaning towards the larva retro coils but need convincing!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

It's possible to spend an absolute fortune on a couple of guitar leads and gain relatively little back in the way of quality.

You want cable from a well known manufacturer, Klotz or Van Damme.
The plugs need to be Neutriks.

That combination is about as good as you're ever going to get. :)

I believe there's someone on here that makes these cables... I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to remind me who it is... ;)

The lead I always go back to is one I got from ebay with one of the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neutrik switched connectors and van damme cable. I wouldn't buy anything other than that now. I need to buy a new one though, as the switched connector is a right angle so it isn't a great fit on the ibanezes with the socket on the front[/font][/color]

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1452367988' post='2949368']
Dave, goes under the forum name of Obbm
[/quote]
[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1452369722' post='2949383']
Seconded. Truly excellent quality cables and none of the hocus pocus marketing flimflam.
[/quote]

Yep, Daves leads are amazing, great quality at great prices. Check out his feedback and his site (as below)

http://bassic-bits.co.uk/

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1452367988' post='2949368']
Dave, goes under the forum name of Obbm
[/quote]

I was going to second this thought but having looked down the thread I think I am going to have to "fifth" it instead. Top bloke, top cables, unbelievably reasonable (in truth be told, low) price.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452388639' post='2949592']
Dave /OBBM. . . . every time.

[url="http://bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Oh, and if you want something obscure that's not listed on his site drop him an email coz ha can probably do it for you for a song anyway!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1452367842' post='2949365']
It's possible to spend an absolute fortune on a couple of guitar leads and gain relatively little back in the way of quality.

You want cable from a well known manufacturer, Klotz or Van Damme.
The plugs need to be Neutriks.

That combination is about as good as you're ever going to get. :)

I believe there's someone on here that makes these cables... I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to remind me who it is... ;)
[/quote]

+1 No need to spend "silly money" as it's just going to big margins on the price. Neutrik connectors (for their mechanical integrity plus collet type cable retention) with appropriate Klotz or Van Damme / Canare etc. instrument cable (ie with additional semiconducting screen to attenuate cable movement noise with HiZ pickups) with high quality assembly / soldering is about as good as it gets.

I think the thread has its answer... So is it ok if I kind of hijack it a little bit?

I always make my own leads and the ones I have got are perfectly fine, but very boring. What I really want is braided cloth cables. I have seen some lovely tweed ones around but I can't do tweed, it has to be black. The trouble is that my usual places don't sell it. Does anyone know of a uk supplier for it as cut cable?

I love how flexible braided cloth cable is, so I am also thinking of replacing my rig's mains leads with it, too, where I can.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452388639' post='2949592']
Dave /OBBM. . . . every time.
[url="http://bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

I always post in these 'which cable?' threads because Dave's leads and cables are second to none for quality and value and Dave's service is exemplary. That is all.

I was going to say get some from Professional Audio Cables, hand made with Neutrik plugs and good quality cable, but TBH reading above it sounds like Dave does the same anyway.

I like the Neutrik silent plugs (the ones that mute when you unplug them) for the instrument end.

Edited by adamg67