Why become a member? ×

Making an EUB look like an acoustic db

spikydavid

Having received a bow for Christmas from my girlfriend (Kate)​, I started to practice playing arco - however, I quickly found a problem...

Due to the nature of the Stagg electric upright bass, I couldn't bow properly, without the bow hitting my legs. This was because the eub isn't as deep as a proper acoustic double bass, so the strings are closer to the player's body (um, me), so, physics and geometry being what they are, the bowing didn't work so well.

As it was over Christmas, and I had some time, I hatched a cunning plan - build a body for the eub, that was the size and shape of an acoustic db!

Here's the steps that I went through...

Step 1 - Work out what size an acoustic db actually is
Strangely harder than it seems, but the internet is your friend, and through a combination of searches, particularly for cases, I got all the relevant sizes, and started making plans. I also looked at the different body shapes, and decided that the viola was a bit fussy (i.e. difficult), so went with the less fussy Gamba

Step 2 - Make the template
I then drew the template at one quarter size (so that it fitted onto a sheet of A4) and inked it. Hardest part was getting the symmetry, which I did through the simple expedient of drawing one side, then folding the paper in half, and tracing the other side. I then scanned it, and printed it at full size. I then stuck together all the A4 pages to make the full-size template

Step 3 - Cut out the template
Not that complicated - cut out the template. At this point, it's still paper, so scissors worked (this is more relevant later on...)

Step 4 - Transfer the template to wood
Now that I knew the full size of the template, I could get wood to make the case. Following a quick trip to Wickes, I got a large sheet of 6mm MDF. I then taped the paper template to the wood, traced round with a sharpie, to get the shape onto the wood

Step 5 - Cut out the template (again)
Okay, having a template drawn out on wood, I then cut this out. This was a lot easier said than done, as I didn't have any power tools, so all by hand. Mostly a hand saw, though I did try a chisel briefly. This didn't work at all, as it turns out MDF just splinters when you use a chisel on it. The convex curves were fine, but the concave curves couldn't be cut with the saw. After faffing with a hacksaw (didn't work), Kate helped me by cutting out with a steak knife. This took about three days...

Step 6 - Attach to the eub
So, having got a template of the body, I needed to attach it to the eub. I didn't want to do anything permanent to the eub, but there is a small shelf at the top of the body, where the neck attaches. I decided to 'hang' the template from this, with the appropriate depth (you may recall, at the beginning of the post, that the depth was the problem we're trying to fix...). This was done with a large piece of 18mm MDF (something a bit more solid), with small pegs. Rather than trying to cut these out (learning my lesson from the convex curves...), I decided to cut the pegs separately, and glue these (learning point - I managed to snap one off after gluing - if they snap again, I will put dowels in to make them stronger). The lower grip was at around bridge level - key thing here was just to make sure that it was above the jack!

Step 7 - Refining
It's hard to see on the pictures, but the attachments are lined with door insulation, so that the case doesn't mark the eub. After making the attachments, this first version worked okay, but had a tendency to slip backwards from the bass. With all the pressure on the top peg, I was also concerned about the pressure on it. So, I decided to put some more wood in to make sure the two attachments didn't get forced apart.

Step 8 - More refining
Having reinforced the structure, I then decided to see if I could get it to hang a little more securely. There is a strap nut on the back of the neck, so I decided to try to make something to attach to this. This turned out to be simpler than expected, but the biggest issue was that this would be bearing a lot of the load, so how to attach it to the rest of the case.

After all this work, it works brilliantly! I'm able to play the eub standing (which wasn't possible without the case, as it wouldn't balance), and can bow without hitting my legs, both standing and sitting.

Last couple of pictures of the case with the bass in place...

It's taken ten days, so I'm very pleased with it. Next steps will be to paint it, so it looks a little more polished. I'm also intending to make a second template, and create a front as well as back - though this will be a little more tricky, as I will need to cut out the space for the neck, strings & bridge

On the whole, very pleased with the project...

Edited by spikydavid

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1452465232' post='2950254']
Doesn't the Stagg come with a hip (and an arm) support to move it away from your body?
[/quote]

Yes, but I couldn't get it to balance while I was standing, as it's only a single point of contact. When I was sitting, the hip support wasn't deep enough to create the space

How about playing it on a stand? That would keep it steady. It is what i do. Stagg make one especially for their EUB that is a bit clumsy IMO but I adapted something to make one that looks far more elegant. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__view__findpost__p__2727377"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__view__findpost__p__2727377[/url]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1452502975' post='2950433']
How about playing it on a stand? That would keep it steady. It is what i do. Stagg make one especially for their EUB that is a bit clumsy IMO but I adapted something to make one that looks far more elegant. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__view__findpost__p__2727377"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2727377[/url]
[/quote]

This was something I considered - I saw your thread, plus a couple of others, which were an inspiration in what was possible

I tried out another eub on a stand, though, and found it a bit flimsy feeling - I felt like I was using my thumb as leverage a lot on the neck, rather than being able to just pull against the neck without the thumb being engaged.

Also, as a first pass, the stands I looked at all seemed to involve drilling/screwing into the eub body - so I thought I'd try something non-impacting first, and if it didn't work, I'd have that as a fallback - however, it's working well so far...