Why become a member? ×

RIP David Bowie

rubis

That's knocked me sideways.

As others have already said, there are some people who you think of as just being too iconic to die. They've been present all your life & at least on some level, it seems you think they always will be.

Edited by Cato

I echo the thoughts of all so far.

Always had him in the background , no matter how my musical tastes swung
but it is only in the last 6 or 7 years, I have Really appreciated his contribution.
Never met the guy, never seen him live but as I sit here typing this, I have a lump
in my throat and a sad face.
The likes of someone like him coming around again, is very, very unlikely.

Top bloke.

:(

Absolutely gutted at this news this morning.

I was lucky enough to see him live, just the once, during The Reality Tour in the SECC Glasgow back in November 2003.

We managed to get in early enough to get right down the front.

It is still what I consider to be the best gig I've ever been to this day.

I don't know why but this actually made me really upset. Shed a few tears.
Wasn't a big fan, although I liked his music and thought of him as a pioneer etc.
I guess I am a big fan after all. Huge respect for him. Thought he was a cool guy.

Assumed he would live forever. 69 isn't young but its not old in this day and age.

I'm not particularly a fan of his music, but I always admired his creativity, and the fact that he was far more than a 'pop star'.

There's an interesting article here about his recent album. I think that's interesting too, he created albums.

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/11/was-david-bowie-saying-goodbye-on-blackstar"]http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/11/was-david-bowie-saying-goodbye-on-blackstar[/url]

Heard on Radio 6 on the way into work. I don't think I've ever been so stunned by the death of someone outside family and friends. I didn't necessarily love all his creative output all the time, but he has been a presence throughout my adolescent and adult life. RIP

Another sad loss.

Very gentle indeed. I met him in '02, and was struck by how he had no star antics at all then, but cared about the well-being of everyone around him - including the cleaning lady.
In my book, that is what class is!

I loved how he integrated relatively simple pop music with relatively avant-garde artistism, and am amongst the many who believe his name will be remembered.

RIP

Just gutted. Absolutely love everything up to Let's Dance. Had to turn the radio off on my way into work, proper welling up at Starman. Didn't get on with Blackstar at first listen but given the circumstances will make efforts to listen afresh now. RIP Dave. Props to Visconti too for being a massive part of what became the legend.