Why become a member? ×

Salutations from Chichester!

Sway

Evening guys and gals, complete noob here, please be gentle.

After a 22 year hiatus from any sort of instrument (last seen playing the cello whilst 11. Badly.), I've decided I really need a new way to unwind in the evenings after work. The old faithful of wife beating being, I've discovered, somewhat frowned upon...

So, headed over to GAK. Then walked out as the staff made zero effort to help out a chap with money but no clue. Saw an old buddy working whilst in Nevada, and he sorted me out.

So, I has a bass! An ibanez sr370 in brown burst. Plus a vox headphone amp (which I already hate).

Sorted.

So, I'm doing the lessons on Talking Bass (the beginner basics course for a bargainous fi'teen dolla). So far, I've learnt 'Every army digs grass', and a full octave of notes. Dunno what I'll do with them, reckon that's the next session.

Aim is to be able to play along to some favourite popular tunes, such as Cypress Hill, Coldplay, Robbie Williams and that nice Eminem chap. Oh, so Rage against the Machine would be pleasant to strum along to too.

Looking for a better practice setup (thinking of one of the Zoom pedals that seem to get a lot of love), as I'm in a bungalow with two kids and a missus with a low tolerance for 'noise'.

Probably won't post much, as I'm a firm believer in knowing what you're talking about, but already I'd like to express my appreciation for the content on here - it's bloody brilliant, if a little baffling at times!

Beer is always on tap, so if you're in the area (and are willing to swap beer or great coffee for pointers) give me a shout.

Sam, aged 33 and nearly 7 months.

Welcome Sam

Stick with it fella and you'll make progress.

Can I suggest Scott Devine's website - http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/- as a possible teaching aid. Scott does a brilliant job of breaking lessons down so that the subject is easily followed. There's material there for all levels so find a lesson you're interested in and visit it a few times till you're happy.