Why become a member? ×

Stolen Squier Jazz. How's this for a long shot?

ColinH

Hi, on the night of 9th November, 1991, after a charity gig [Marie Curie], my car was broken into in Bradford, and my
white Squier Jazz bass was stolen (along with a Marshall amp and Peterson cab)...

24 years later, I want to track it down! I've emailed a lot of music shops around the UK, and several guitar/bass
magazines, one of which plans to feature the story.

When taken, it had a gold Badass bridge, EMG active pickups, and chrome control knobs; white body and scratchplate;
SERIAL NUMBER: E 636298.

In short: £100 reward to whoever reunites me with this instrument, and £500 to its present (blameless) custodian.
So £600 if that's one-and-the-same person.

Fellow Knights (and Ladies) of the Groove, I ask for your vigilance...Thanks.

ColinH

[email protected] tel. 023 8077 2660

Hi ColinH,

Can't help you with the bass, I'm afraid
But I just wanted to say, sorry this happened to you. It may have been a long time ago - But I bet it still hurts or annoys you.
And I wanted to wish you good luck in tracking it down. I can understand why you want to do this

It might be a long shot, but I'd urge BC'ers to check the serial numbers if they have a Squier of that age
Cheers now

Marc

Don't Give up hope ColinH! A mate of mine had an Ibanez Roadster (guitar) stolen at a gig in the mid 80's.
He saw one uncannily like it for sale on ebay in 2012, also it was in our old hometown in the North-East. (he now lives near Glasgow)
He contacted the seller, who trotted out a story of how he'd owned it since new, but had given up playing in the early 90's,
and couldn't bear to part with it, and it had remained in it's case under the bed for the last 20 years.
My mate asked him if he could tell him the serial number, so he could verify it's age. Bingo! Same serial number.
He then asked if he could arrange a day to go and try it out, he went (receipt in pocket) Played the guitar for around 20 mins or so,
put it back in it's case, picked it up, showed the guy the receipt as he told him that he was taking the guitar which was rightfully his back.

I know this don't help you personally, but it proves things can turn up! I wish you all the luck in your search!

Thanks for those responses, guys. And I won't give up hope!
The ideal scenario is as related by pst62, but I don't have the receipt [from Spectre Sound, Bingley, 8th December 1987!]
as it went to the insurance company for the claim, at the time. They did pay out, fortunately. I went down to London with a wad and bought a new Stingray,
but traded it after 2 years...for a Fender Jazz that I kept for 10! Today I've a Precision. Nice, but a Jazz would be nice again, too. Especially THAT one...

ColinH

A big BC welcome! That's horrible news about your Squier Jazz, but great that you still feel that attachment to it after all these years. I'm only over in Leeds so I'll keep an eye out on the off-chance that I spot it in a local music shop! Hopefully it hasn't left Yorkshire!

• 2 weeks later...

An update...

Soon after re-posting, on the General Discussion zone, I was contacted by a guy who said he had the bass, in W. Yorkshire, and was willing to sell.
Pictures he's sent confirm it's The One, and I'm arranging to do the deal when I'm next up North, in a few weeks.

'Ey kid, not a bad forum, this.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ColinH' timestamp='1454001766' post='2965275']
An update...

Soon after re-posting, on the General Discussion zone, I was contacted by a guy who said he had the bass, in W. Yorkshire, and was willing to sell.
Pictures he's sent confirm it's The One, and I'm arranging to do the deal when I'm next up North, in a few weeks.

'Ey kid, not a bad forum, this.
[/quote]
Amazing result! Even better if the guy's happy to take full market value and not trouble you for the "enhanced" package.

Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

BTW, when you get it.....

:useless:

Welcome to Basschat!!