Why become a member? ×

Rack problems!

Bassmonkey

This is driving me nuts. I use an Orange TB and Sp212 so have a half size rack which holds my in ears, my Boss TU-50 tuner and Sennheiser Freeport wireless. I have suddenly developed a buzz. I have so far swapped all patch leads, completely replaced all the 3 parts of the wireless (body pack/lead/transceiver) plus checked all plus earths. Still the buzz keeps coming back. Stupidly, sometimes stops if I move the rack. I am starting to think that maybe the tuner is the issue. I am gonna take it out of the link on Saturday and see if there is a difference. I thought these things were bomb proof. Any thoughts? dunno if any local tech would be able to look at the tuner to try fix. Perplexed!!!

Is the buzzing happening everywhere? Home and/or gig/rehearsal locations? Dimmer switches, microwaves, network home plugs near you?

If it's happening at your home, reboot the electricity supply...power the whole house down and switch on a few lights/electricals to clear the circuits, then power up.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452781858' post='2953453']
The worst buzz I ever had from a rack system was one of the butterfly catches vibrating at certain frequencies.

That also stopped when I moved the rack.

Just saying ...
[/quote]

A bit off-topic, probably!

That's exactly why i bought a rack with the latches on the lid. I don't even know why a rack manufacturer could possibly design a rack with loose pieces... they sould know that sound causes vibrations... don't they? But i've lost count on the number of manufacturers that still do it (some with big name brands).

As an example, here's one from Gator that may cost something close to £100:

And one like mine (except for the carbon fibre look), cheap and cheerfull at half price of the Gator, from Proel:

Looks like an obvious thing, should we let them know? ;)

Thx all. It doesn't appeR to be a location issue. Seems to happen randomly have had it noisy and quiet at home and at gigs. Not the rack catches. Have had that in the past. Good idea about the Witeless frequency. Will try changing that. Cheers guys. Appreciate your trying to help. All worth mentioning. Will keep trying. Rehearsing tonight so gonna change the frequency. Quickest possible fix. Andy

Big Red X. Yeah. There are some. Gonna exclude components one at a time in a process of elimination. BassHertz. Yeah using the plastic washers. It happened again last night. This time once again, slightly moved free amp and it stopped. Makes me wonder if it's the amp BUT when I go direct and bypass the rack, it's fine leading me to think it's something rack based. See how tomorrow goes. Thx for the help gents

If you are using plastic wasters they need to isolate the rack gear completely from the rest of the rack. AFAIK Humfrees are the only solution that do this. The normal plastic washers simply protect the rack ears from scuff marks caused by the rack bolts.

If the hum is intermittent and comes and goes when you move the rack it could be caused by the metal casings of two adjacent units which are both connected to earth sometimes touching. If you have the space in your rack case try having each device separated by at least 1U and see if that cures the problem.

icastle - no - it happens at gigs. I even struggle to replicate it at home. JapanAxe - it's an electrical not a cabinet rattle. Tried last night with the tuner out of the loop. NO BUZZ

Gonna try one more gig's worth and, assuming the buzz doesn't recur, I will swap it for the Boss VF-1 which has a tuner function and is also half rack.

Will then try and get the TU-50 looked at assuming it's that creating the buzz.

Thank you all for your help.

Andy

After taking the tuner out of the loop for two gigs now and the buzz hasn't recurred I've concluded that IT must have been responsible. Have removed the TU-50 and replaced it with my Boss VF-1 using that as the tuner. Not ideal but is half rack so fits.
Also took Big RedX's advice and fitted Humfrees. Can't do any harm.

Now will try and get the tuner checked over to see if the cause of buzzing can be established and fixed.

Thanks for the support guys. Appreciate it. Andy