Why become a member? ×

Hi from Southampton Newbie

Ashweb

Hi all,

I am a total newbie at this - until October 2015 I didn't even own a bass and had never played any instrument before. I guess this almost qualifies as a mid life crisis but it's a lot cheaper than a Harley Davidson. :D

How did I get here? A bit like this...

I work on a freelance basis, currently in Southampton for just over a year now, and had been able to fill the evenings away from my family quite well by getting out and about in the New Forest area. Then due to bad weather and the evenings drawing in I found myself sat in my flat, watching rubbish telly, and it dawned on me that this was me for the winter; very depressing. Then came the light-bulb moment and I realised I could use the 'free' evenings to do something that [b]I [/b]wanted to do for a change.

I've always regretted not being in a band or being able to play any instrument when I was younger despite being a mad keen music fan so this was my time to put right at least one of those. Being a fan of rock music, I've always associated myself with the cool bass dudes rather than the thunder and lightning brigade up front so for me the choice of weapon was an easy one - had to be the bass. I also have a 13 y/o Son who plays the drums so we already have the makings of a house band to really annoy the neighbours.

A scout round on ebay found me a Tanglewood Rebel 4K bass and an Ashdown Perfect 10 30W Amp which is good enough to get me going - I've also invested in a set of TGI headphones as I like my neighbours really. I did have lofty ideals of teaching myself bass off the internet and set myself the target of playing one of my favourite riffs - Nirvana's 'Come as you are'. I was soon swamped by the amount of info on line and really needed some structure so bought the book Bass Guitar for Dummies which got me going.

After a few weeks I was able to work out the riff (including my first pull off - very proud moment) but was struggling to play at the speed of the track or fully follow the bass line in the verses; it's faster than you think, innit? I find the book is very precise and technical but there's not the feedback you get from another person so I've now started 'proper' lessons at River Studios in Southampton and with their help I've been able to sort out some bad habits I'd formed in even this short time, start to read music and nail 'Come as you are' - even had a play through to the track with my lad over Christmas which was really a special moment. He wants to do 'Pretty Vacant' next so that'll be my new project. I'm finding the best way for me to learn is by practising scales etc for basic technique then putting it to use by learning a song - keeps me focused for much longer.

Looking forward to making music, making mistakes and seeing where it takes me...

Welcome to Basschat, Ashweb! When I started playing bass in my early 40s I had never played an instrument before. Don't let that deter you.
I also used the Dummies book, but to start with I would recommend a few one-to-one lessons, or at least a short course in a small group of students, with a good teacher. Believe me, it makes progress as a beginner much easier, and cures you of any bad habits you may not have realised you are acquiring. Take a look around the forum, find a Basschatter who teaches near you, and have a word with them.
And join us in our discussions. Feel free to post any queries you may have - we have a lot of very helpful experts who will be happy to give you answers. :)

Hi Bluejay, Andy and Discreet - Thanks for the welcome.

I have started one-to-one lessons and as you say, it has made things much clearer and, yes, I had picked up some bad habits already; mainly with the thumb of my left hand going walk about and sticking up too much. The instructor's threatened to get a fly swat and whack my thumb every time it sticks up too far above the neck a la the assistant coach on Run Fat Boy Run!

Edited by Ashweb