Why become a member? ×

After a really dark sounding set of flatwounds

markdavid

I was going to suggest tru bass then i saw your sig..hmm i would post in the wanted for an old set or perhaps rub some soft wax on a set, a foam mute may help get the sound your after but of course it will also kill sustain

[quote name='steve-norris' post='29984' date='Jul 10 2007, 08:59 PM']I was going to suggest tru bass then i saw your sig..hmm i would post in the wanted for an old set or perhaps rub some soft wax on a set, a foam mute may help get the sound your after but of course it will also kill sustain[/quote]

Yeah , I love the Tru Bass strings but am finding that I have to order them in as no one seems to stock them

[quote name='markdavid' post='32101' date='Jul 15 2007, 04:45 PM']Hi ,
I have recently heard that there is a set of flats that have a layer of silk wound between the outer and inner wraps , anyone know what string this is as I suspect that this may give me the tone I am looking for[/quote]
That'll be the Thomastik Infeld Jazz bass Flatwound set. Made like Orchestral Double bass strings.
Available from stringbusters, stringsdirect etc.

They are quite bright for flatties when new, but they do settle down and sound better with age. They are very light guage so you'd probably need to adjust the truss rod & possibly change the nut.

I have TI Jazz Flats on Two fretted Precisions, a fretless precision, a highway 1 jazz, an epi thunderbird, a Dean Pace Upright and a peavey millenium five string. My oldest set is about four years old & still going strong.

I'm not sure whether they'd actually be the magic bullet in getting the sound you're after. What bass would you be putting them on?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='34193' date='Jul 19 2007, 04:15 PM']That'll be the Thomastik Infeld Jazz bass Flatwound set. Made like Orchestral Double bass strings.
Available from stringbusters, stringsdirect etc.

They are quite bright for flatties when new, but they do settle down and sound better with age. They are very light guage so you'd probably need to adjust the truss rod & possibly change the nut.

I have TI Jazz Flats on Two fretted Precisions, a fretless precision, a highway 1 jazz, an epi thunderbird, a Dean Pace Upright and a peavey millenium five string. My oldest set is about four years old & still going strong.

I'm not sure whether they'd actually be the magic bullet in getting the sound you're after. What bass would you be putting them on?[/quote]
They would be going on my squier p bass special with quarter pounders , sounds like the Thomastiks may not be for me as I am not after any kind of brightness , Its all about warm sounds for me