Why become a member? ×

Finally - A Bass That Fits!

DavidMcKay

Hi All

I took up electric bass guitar as a form of physio after breaking my left wrist and must have went through about 6 basses in the last 18 months - many of them bought and sold via Basschat. Just couldn't manage to play 34" without discomfort to the injured wrist. I was about to pull the trigger on a short scale, hoping that might resolve the issue, when I happened across some clips on YouTube of EUB players.

Long story short - I was completely smitten by the NS NXT4 Amber and the upright style just felt right to my left wrist. Got the NXT yesterday and love that it is just set up on its tripod, practically inviting me to have a wee noodle every time I walk into the room. My intonation is all over the place, I haven't established an ounce of muscle memory (certainly not any that helps me cope with this scale), I am murdering every tune I used to know, and my credit card has taken a hammering - but I am having such a blast! Pics below if you are interested.

So - if you have any tips you'd like to pass on, or links to good online tutorials then please fire away.
Any NXT owners out there with instrument-specific tips - feel free to chip in.

Kind regards,

David

[attachment=209693:IMG_0310.jpg] [attachment=209694:IMG_0312.jpg]
[attachment=209695:IMG_0313.jpg] [attachment=209696:IMG_0317.jpg]

Edited by DavidMcKay

DB is pretty physically demanding, and the risk of injury from bad technique is high, it would definately be a good idea to have a couple of lessons in person with a DB tutor - it takes a lot less effort to learn good habits than to unlearn bad ones that have become ingrained, and a tutor can give you feedback in a way that books/videos can't.

I have one tip - upright bass is a completely different instrument to electric bass, so be patient with yourself and have fun.

Thanks gents - comments noted, especially on good technique from the start as opposed to unlearning all manner of evils. I'll look into that.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find the upright feels more comfortable to hold/play/use than an electric bass - which for me was always going to be the deciding factor. Pointless trying to play something that was causing me issues.

On a side note - I just sent my nephew a couple of pics of the NXT and he is arranging to come over as soon as he can to give it a go (he plays bass in an indie band, had a number of live gigs, got an EP out, in final year at school). Now, I never got that sort of response when I sent him pics of the ACG Recurve, the Warwick Corvette or the Stingray True Gold. I think there's something about the EUB/EDB that commands attention. Sort of like 'I am a real instrument [in the classical sense] - play me' (or perhaps I should just get out more!!).

Regards,

David

Edited by DavidMcKay

Hey David, thanks for telling us about the interesting journey you're on. As we all know, it's the journey that matters, not the destination. In my 50 years of bass playing, I've never laid a finger on anything bigger than a 35" scale bass guitar, and always fretted - maybe I should get out more too.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1452950902' post='2954978']
Just bought the Geoff Chalmers 'Beginners Double Bass' course. At $79 I thought - why not? Especially considering what the instrument cost.
[/quote]

Loving the video course. Not too far into it, but I've learned lots already.

You've got a mix of music theory, insider tips and practical exercises. I really feel I am taking a course as opposed to learning to play 'in a fairly mechanical sense' - if you get the distinction.

Regards,

David

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1453038472' post='2955783']
I just love that you have a whole wall veneered in birdseye maple :D
[/quote]

Yes - my wife calls it the library. She is fed up with me saying "[i]Darling - I fear that Colonel Mustard has been done for with a candelabra in the library[/i]".

I am renaming it the music room, or should that be music parlour?

Edited by DavidMcKay

If you are enjoying it but never saw yourself as a DB player then you could always get it fretted. I have a fretted NS Omnibass (which is for sale, but only so I can comission one with 6 strings - but this is not a derail to push my sale) and I totally understand the hand position thing. It is very easy on wrists and everything.