Why become a member? ×

String guidance

Nicko

Probably been done to death, but I think its time I changed my strings. I don't do this very often so I don't get much opportunity to try different strings.

I play alternative/indie type rock.

I'm assuming the normal string for this job is a roundwound. I never payed with anythig else before.

What's the general guidance on suitability fo diffent types of string by genre:

Stainless/Nickel wound
Round/Flat/Pressure wound/half round

A slightly different question, will a 050 G string string give any noticeable difference over 045? The standard 045 on my bass lacks a bit of punch

Yep, rounds for sure, and a 50 will add a fair bit of oomph. If you tend to play on the D & G a fair bit it may be worth doing a "hybrid" and getting 50 & 70 for those two, then keeping 105 & 85 for the E & A (means ordering two sets of strings though, unless you can buy singles on your fave brand). I`ve found on a Precision that seems to even things up a bit,bassing up the treblier strings, which also have the pickup nearer the bridge (never worked out why Fender did this). Have to admitthough, nowadays the D & G are pretty much decoration only for me.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1452961799' post='2955136']
What strings have you got on currently? Do you like them?
[/quote]

This will be the first time I changed the strings so they are the original fit Fender 105-45 nickel round unless the shop set the guitar up with something else which is unlikely. I have no specific problems with them other than the G string lacking a bit of oomph.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1452970502' post='2955254']
Yep, rounds for sure, and a 50 will add a fair bit of oomph. If you tend to play on the D & G a fair bit it may be worth doing a "hybrid" and getting 50 & 70 for those two, then keeping 105 & 85 for the E & A (means ordering two sets of strings though, unless you can buy singles on your fave brand). I`ve found on a Precision that seems to even things up a bit,bassing up the treblier strings, which also have the pickup nearer the bridge (never worked out why Fender did this). Have to admitthough, nowadays the D & G are pretty much decoration only for me.
[/quote]

The reason for the question was a[size=4] [color=#4D4D4D][font=Tahoma, Arial]EXL160 Nickel Wound Bass, Medium, 50-105, Long Scale come with 105, 85, 70, 50 as opposed to the original fit fender 7250 which is 105, 85, 65, 45. Quite a few songs I play use the D and G string a lot, and the balance isn't quite right. I'm also assuming I wont need to adjust the nut slots for these.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Nicko

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1453120347' post='2956457']
This will be the first time I changed the strings so they are the original fit Fender 105-45 nickel round unless the shop set the guitar up with something else which is unlikely. I have no specific problems with them other than the G string lacking a bit of oomph.
[/quote]
Get the 50-105 7250s then. :)

As the strings are old I wouldn't use them as any sort of representative example of a 45 G - Depending on your playing, body chemistry, and the sounds you want you may want to change strings very regularly or very infrequently. Remember with rounds there is a lot of surface area between the wraps for crud to get in and wear out the string.

Also you may find a set with a 40 G that sounds more to your liking than a 50G - as the string construction is more important than just the diameter. Some will have a thinner core and will have a tendency to flex and spring more, while others might have the same size core - but if it's round rather than hex shaped it will feel and make the string play and sound quite different.

I think there is no substitute for trying a few sets to get the feel for what you like. If you are like me and don't by new sets every week or so - your comparisons will only be as accurate as your memory so you may wish to do some quick recordings to get an idea. Keep in mind if you move to heavier gauge strings the bass will probably need tweaks (slight truss rod tweak, or put up with the minute change in relief, pickup height adjustment for the new string vibration patterns etc.).

*Edit - you'll need to fine tune the intonation too. Whenever the neck relief changes the intonation can go off, and changing to a different brand or even a different set of the "same" strings will definitely need the intonation checked - IME changing sting gauges will definitely need at least a subtle tweak of the saddle positions, especially on the G where you want it to intonate well all the way up the fretboard.

Edited by PlungerModerno

I didn't feel the need to make any neck relief adjustments but judging by the intonation adjustments required I'm guessing these strings are putting a lot more tension on the neck..

The strings are pretty bright compared to the old set (not a surprise considering how old the they were). I am noticing a bit more finger noise. I'm not really noticing the D and E strings feeling much different at the mo so even if they don't improve the balance I would say these are OK to play. Haven't played through a proper gig size amp at volume yet or with the rest of the band yet which should tell me a bit more.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1453120709' post='2956469']
The reason for the question was a[size=4] [color=#4D4D4D][font=Tahoma, Arial]EXL160 Nickel Wound Bass, Medium, 50-105, Long Scale come with 105, 85, 70, 50 as opposed to the original fit fender 7250 which is 105, 85, 65, 45. Quite a few songs I play use the D and G string a lot, and the balance isn't quite right. I'm also assuming I wont need to adjust the nut slots for these.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

No you should be fine with those.