Why become a member? ×

yet another strings thread - Stingray & Jazz, roundwound & flatwound

chickenjames

hello all

(sorry if this has been covered elsewhere).

I have 2 basses and I'm just waiting for the third to arrive. I'm looking for advice/comments on string choice so as to get best range of tones from 2 basses.

(Other bass is a Spector Classic Legend 5, I'll be keeping rounds on there for now). I generally use it for more rock things.

main bass right now is EBMM 4H. I used DR hi beams for a while and much preferred them to D'Addario rounds - better finger feel and tone. However, now I've moved to flatwounds (D'Addario Chromes). I love the feel and the penetrating thump that I can get. I mostly play finger style funk and it's pretty rare for me to turn the Ray's treble boost up past about 50% unless I'm using synth style distortion. Normally I play clean.

I'll be adding a Sire MM V7 Jazz in a couple of weeks (once it's back in stock with Thomann!) and so I'm wondering what to string the two of them with. Part of me is thinking that I should go with flats on both, but am I missing something if I do this?
Seems to me that you could think about this in 2 ways
- put favourite flats on both and reckon that the natural style will come through anyway
- it's daft to have a spiky funk machine (the Ray) muzzled with flats - so put the flats on the Jazz and the DRs on the Ray, then I've got maximum variation available

What would you do? I'm not keen on doing lots of experiments because in my experience changing between rounds and flats generally needs a setup change, usually a truss rod adjustment. I don't mind doing this once but I've got the Ray playing lovely now...

all ideas welcome, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I use flats on my ebMM sterling..... I dont know why but id never considered it before, always had flats on my jazz.... Great move, it is the slickest playing bass ive ever owned and sounds just wicked.
I use d addario chromes but must confess i itch to try out labbellas on it......

Edited by Wonky2