Why become a member? ×

Advice on electric drum kits

Beedster

I'm not a drummer.
For me as a newbie with only a few hours of training, the single most important aspect seemed to be the response in the snare and toms. I've found other parameters like the sound module's possibilities and sound quality less important to me.

As a result, I personally will invest in a set with mesh heads (don't know if that's a generic term) like the Roland TD-11KV rather than the cheaper TD-11K (which I much disliked), and might just go for the TD-15K (which has mesh as standard).

A TD-11KV will set you back 1,000 quideros, hombre.
What's your budget?

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1453065175' post='2956136']
I never thought I'd ask, but needs must. I need an electric kit that will allow a decent drummer to practice and record, and which will also allow the kids to learn to play the bloody things. Any advice warmly received.

Chris
[/quote]

Here's a decent run-down of current stuff. Budget is all, really, and I'm too 'picky' about cymbals (especially hi-hats...) to be able to afford anything I'd be satisfied with, but if one pays enough, it [i]can [/i]be done. Think about the potential for a double bass drum pedal, too; some folks use 'em, I'm told.

[url="http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-electronic-drums/"]E-drums revues ...[/url]

I've run various electric kits in schools for a number of years. As far as durability goes, I found that Roland were way ahead of Yamaha or Alesis - but this may not be such a big concern as when I was running a department that had 500 kids going through every day!

We got an Alesis DT10 that the drummers seemed to like - could use their own bd pedals, nice feel - good brain etc. Roland HD3's were the best put together, and sounded good but very basic. If it was jut for your kids, I'd go for the HD3, but not great for a drummer. All the pros I play with have Roland E-Kits for practicing at home...

Many thanks for the above guys, lots to think about and the potential to spend some money!

All other things being equal - price, realism, playability, size - what's the thinking re sound? Which kit, or brand, is going to sound best recorded, even if in the fulness of time we might re-record the drum parts to any potentially good tracks on an acoustic kit in a larger studio?

Chris, if you go to my YouTube channel (in my sig) then you'll find a load of video taken by Silvie at Junkyard Dogs gigs, much of it using a good-quality Roland leccy kit.

If you can spot the difference between the live kit and the leccy kit by sound alone, then your ears must be far better than mine.

You're very welcome to bring your drummer up to the Junkyard for an extended shed-building session in my studio if you like. If he's not overly familiar with what these things can do, then he's in a for a very pleasant surprise.

Oh bloody hell! It's a non-memorable bunch of letters and numbers, and ultimately it all comes down to the 'brain' IIRC.

This is a kit which used to retail for £1200-£1500 and for which the direct replacement is now about £2000.

If you buy new.

Which I didn't.

Basically it's a pro-level kit but probably nearer entry level than anywhere high up the range.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1453383928' post='2958978']
Oh bloody hell! It's a non-memorable bunch of letters and numbers, and ultimately it all comes down to the 'brain' IIRC.

This is a kit which used to retail for £1200-£1500 and for which the direct replacement is now about £2000.

If you buy new.

Which I didn't.

Basically it's a pro-level kit but probably nearer entry level than anywhere high up the range.
[/quote]

Ha ha, pretty much what I'm looking for! Thanks Jack

• 1 month later...