Why become a member? ×

Which flatwounds?

paddy109

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1460540248' post='3026551']
With regards to the E string on the Status, please stay with them as they really do open up. The set on my G&L L1000 have been on for a couple of years and still do not sound soft. They still have a nice percussive click to go with the vintage thump and great mids.
If you think they sound ok now you have a treat in store over the coming months. :)
[/quote]

Thanks, that's encouraging as the E does sound different. (I was even wondering about mixing and matching an E from a set of different strings).

I'll be sticking with it for a while yet and I hope a different string will not be necessary. They are very smooth to the touch and appear to be nicely made strings. Had a nice long practice sesh tonight, very happy.

Bought a set of TI Jazz Flats yesterday to try on my P bass as the la bellas felt a little stiff on the Moollon.

Very impressed initially... Very different tension wise, had to adjust the truss rod, nice feel though.

I shall let them bed in for a while and see if I prefer them.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460609802' post='3027179']
Bought a set of TI Jazz Flats yesterday to try on my P bass as the la bellas felt a little stiff on the Moollon.

Very impressed initially... Very different tension wise, had to adjust the truss rod, nice feel though.

I shall let them bed in for a while and see if I prefer them.
[/quote]

Your A string may need a lift too, such bizarre gauges on these but still my fave string when they match the bass well.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1460610702' post='3027182']
Your A string may need a lift too, such bizarre gauges on these but still my fave string when they match the bass well.
[/quote]

Yes it did... was very buzzy when I first put it on. I ended up raising all the strings all up a bit suit the lowest possible position of the A.

I've been trying to recreate the feel of an old MIJ P bass I had which played wonderfully well with low tension flats, but I think the feel of that bass may have been down to the vintage frets as much as the strings.

Very pleased with the initial results having restring the Moollon with TIs. I'm going to give them a fair run before deciding to keep them or swap back to the la bellas.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460614837' post='3027190']

Yes it did... was very buzzy when I first put it on. I ended up raising all the strings all up a bit suit the lowest possible position of the A.

I've been trying to recreate the feel of an old MIJ P bass I had which played wonderfully well with low tension flats, but I think the feel of that bass may have been down to the vintage frets as much as the strings.

Very pleased with the initial results having restring the Moollon with TIs. I'm going to give them a fair run before deciding to keep them or swap back to the la bellas.
[/quote]

Mmm... Vintage frets, they do have a great feel :)

Put on my new Pyramid Golds yesterday, straight out the packet the G seems a little lively, but I'm sure that will bed down nicely over the next week or so, other than that these strings are beautiful, very smooth, and great tension, not as high tension as a lot of flats, and not as floppy as my other favourite flats TI's, but a very nice balance. They sound earthy and thumpy with sing song highs, they could well be my new favourite flats, although they are a little prices, you get what you pay for!

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1460789965' post='3028701']
Put on my new Pyramid Golds yesterday, straight out the packet the G seems a little lively, but I'm sure that will bed down nicely over the next week or so, other than that these strings are beautiful, very smooth, and great tension, not as high tension as a lot of flats, and not as floppy as my other favourite flats TI's, but a very nice balance. They sound earthy and thumpy with sing song highs, they could well be my new favourite flats, although they are a little prices, you get what you pay for!
[/quote]

Let us know how they bed in

Big thumbs up for the pyramid golds, they are my new favourite flat, a few hours of playing and the G string has settled down nicely, they're quite a mellow string, I love the tension, they really seem to have got that bang on, these are quite expensive so I would hope they would be good, and they will stay on my bass for quite some time.
I love TI flats, and will probably stick them on another bass at sometime in the future, but I think the tension and low end thump of the pyramids win out for me. I'm sure these will just get better and better.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1461093777' post='3031466']
Big thumbs up for the pyramid golds, they are my new favourite flat, a few hours of playing and the G string has settled down nicely, they're quite a mellow string, I love the tension, they really seem to have got that bang on, these are quite expensive so I would hope they would be good, and they will stay on my bass for quite some time.
I love TI flats, and will probably stick them on another bass at sometime in the future, but I think the tension and low end thump of the pyramids win out for me. I'm sure these will just get better and better.
[/quote]

Sounds encouraging! (I wonder why they are so expensive though?)

Ernie ball flats on my fretless, on my second set since 2004 I think...
Steve Harris Sig. Flats on my P bass. Tension is so high I was in tears winding the strings on waiting for the neck to snap in my face, but bedded in they give a bit more and there is HUGE HUGE tone! My P bass gets through the mix and lets you know there's bass going on no matter what other noise there is around.
The P bass may well get some lower tension flats next time though...

• 4 weeks later...

Got to agree with pow, after a few weeks of playing I'm finding these a bit too dark, particularly when gigging. I can see plenty of styles of music where these would be great but I've gone back to my TI flats, the problem I have with the TIs is that they are so low tension it's difficult to get enough relief even with the truss nut screwed right back, great sound and feel though, just a Bugger to get them set up just right!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1459724859' post='3019063']
'Jazz Bass' strings?
[/quote]

[b] [font=courier new,courier,monospace]RotoSound Jazz Electric Bass Monel Flatwound Long Scale, .045 - .105, RS77LD[/font][/b]

Just put a set of these on my P bass - Adagio Flat wound Electric Bass Guitar Strings Gauge 45-100 from Advantage Musical Instruments Ltd on Ebay @ £16.99 inc postage (item number:391227964773) They appear to be a quality string might be worth a look.seem to give a nice warm sound - I'm quite pleased with them anyway.

I want to fire a set of flats on my JB, but not sure about tensions. I typically use .045 - .105 nickelwounds and like a slightly higher tension so I can dig in, but flats are a whole different kettle of fish to me, never tried them before so don't know Jack about tensions etc. I'm thinking either the Fenders or LaBellas, but can anyone advise on the tensions of these at my regular gauge please? Also, will they be alright for thru-body stringing?

I have used both on my JB, in fact on all my basses and string thus. The LaBella's in the FL gauge, I found roughly the same tension as the Fenders 45-100 , The LaBella's seem to improve with age where as in my opinion the Fenders go off a bit and seem to lose some thump and dynamics to my ear.
I used the Fenders for a few years, then switched back to LaBella's again. If any of that helps.
It's good to experiment a bit with flats.
You can dig-in to your hearts content in those gauges of Flats.

edit to say, I like a 45-100 in rounds.

Edited by Highfox

I bought Chromes singles 45, 60, 80, 110. Considering the different gauges they're pretty balanced. The 110 is so that I can drop the E to B using the HIpshot double stop.

I've tried to get back into using rounds but I tended to go from one brand to another but with these I know they're good and don't need to try anything else. They give me the sound I want.

I have a tendency to play too hard so at this time of year where I could be playing 3 gig weekends, the smooth feel means that they're a lot kinder on my fingers than rounds

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1466232076' post='3074251']
Yes, I know. I never had one go snap on me yet (still)
[/quote]

I'm just repeating La Bella's own advice.

I don't usually string anything through body as I can't hear or feel any difference.

I've never broken a La Bella flat but I have once broken a TI flat and once a Pyramid flat too.